The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance Nightmare

Gough

Don't worry Supragal. Out of about 30 insurerers I called, only about 4 of them would insure me.

Just keep ringing around, try everyone you can. Also try Bell Direct on 0800 140 180; they gave me one of my best quotes (relatively speaking!) Gender is on your side too! :thumbs:

Joe

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JB

I went thru the mire of getting my renewal sorted about 3 weeks ago, best quote by far was the admiral group - elephant and Bell - strangely not Admiral themselves. Tesco wanted well over £800

I was with Admiral, there renewal came in at just over £500, after ringing round I found Bell and Elephant wanted £380, called Admiral, but the best the could do was £420. Asked why seeing as they were the same company and they couldnt give me an answer.

Thats for a UK spec, exhaust declared, full NCB, garaged and im 29.

I also found adding your wife/GF brings it down by about £50.

can't you get "show car" ocasional use policy somewhere

It depends how in depth you want to go with informaing them about modifications some places wack the price up if you list more than 5 or so

I have full kit, engine mods, 18's, lowered etc etc, I'm 23 with a ban and pay £1700 so theres got to be some hope for you

could try 'keith michaels' ......they reduced my insurance by £600

...my import N/A was insured with 'tesco's' costing me £1500

im 25yrs old and unfortunatly had a company car for 3yrs so have only built up 2 yrs no claims to date.

was disgusted that when my renewal came through last month had hadnt gone down so shopped around and 'keith michaels' quoted £900..of course ive accepted

Rosie,

I think most of the big power big mod cars get covered under some form of traders insurance. Then theres no question about the mods etc....not sure how that helps though..

JohnK - thanks, I phoned round lots of others and they dont seem to be able to beat Admiral group. Mines decat, lowered, with 18" wheels so thats might explain the higher premium. I also have an SP30 as well and a nofault accident from this year. I added in the air filter to see what happened and it popped £50 on the premium so thats coming off soon as I can.

I went through Mcannys list of insurers but just lost heart after so many quotes and so many web sites so didnt get too far down the list.

JB

Originally posted by Branners

Rosie,

I think most of the big power big mod cars get covered under some form of traders insurance. Then theres no question about the mods etc....not sure how that helps though..

I think that is probably going to prove the case. Job change?

Personally I don't think it's worth the risk of not declaring mods on insurance. Argh.

Originally posted by Faye

I have no idea what they are like for mods, but have you tried Diamond? They won't insure the NA but they'll do a TT for me and it comes in at about £600

yeah, they won't do more than 6 mods. I know BigRoys with them and diesn't pay much so I thought I'd give it a go :(

Rosie, have you tried A-Plan? They tend to like the more "mature" driver (over 30) but I think their imports department may also do high risk and modded cars.

A search should bring up their number. Check that it's their Thatcham office when you call.

Originally posted by Gough

Jake; thanks m8 I would be very interested to know the insurerer of that chap. My car should arrive (at the docks) within the next two weeks. At least I can put the standard side/rear skirts on :)

Sorry Gough I forgot to ask him until today.

He's 23 with 2 years NCD and lives in a SO53 postcode

His car is a '93 TT Aerotop with no mods apart from aftermarket 17'' alloys.

He pays Elephant £750 for 10 months Fully Comp.

Apparently Elephant do some scheme where you buy insurance for 10 months but they give you a full years NCD.

HTH etc

--

Jake

Originally posted by Jake

Apparently Elephant do some scheme where you buy insurance for 10 months but they give you a full years NCD.

Those policies lost me 1 years NCB, I changed after 20 months with Diamond and Directline only credited me with 1 years NCB on top of what I already had.

Personally I wouldn't touch a policy like that with a bargepole.

Originally posted by Faye

Those policies lost me 1 years NCB, I changed after 20 months with Diamond and Directline only credited me with 1 years NCB on top of what I already had.

Personally I wouldn't touch a policy like that with a bargepole.

Sounds like Direct Line are the ones who should be getting the bargepole treatment if they won't honour proof of no claims from your previous insurer.