The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2uz 4.7L TT Install

Nic

Yeah, just a quick pull. The redline is set low at 7k rpm, but it's about to get raised to 8k. I think I only go to ~6k in the vid? Still, the thing is quick. Evan at such a low boost level, and the wastegate bleeding off boost prematurely (lines disconnected), it comes on fast.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i can only imagine how it feels mate! nice to see something different from all them 2jz's with insanely large turbos! :D

what a project :D and to be fair i think the majority on this board now realise a T88 truck turbo is best left on the truck ;), less is definately more, with T61's and 67's or equivalent sized turbos being the most popular sized turbos, keep the posts coming Eric

Here in the states, the general thought is the bigger the better. I personally believe that a bigger displacement/smaller turbo is the way to go. The fun factor in the 4.7LTT is hard to beat.

Eric

couldn't agree more Eric, but dont forget over here a 3 litre is a BIG engine :D

Probably not, I'm only going for ~800rwhp. 800rwhp on a Th400 is way different than a 6 speed. To turn it into a 1200rwhp motor, it would only need a 4 bolt main conversion and a more aggressive set of cams, though.

Thanks!

Eric

Very modest figures with the potential you have there. To keep it driveable and fun though, i think you are going for the right power goals.

I must admit, the "only" is funny ;)

It pulls well for such a low boost level. I took a friend out in it Saturday night and he was all smiles. The Th400 is so drama free. Stab the throttle, redline, pull back the stick.. it's just that simple. No loss of power, no boost drop, etc. We should be going back for higher boost here shortly.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of pics of how the engine bay sits now. The temps out here have been in the mid to upper 90's so it's a good time to work with the cooling system. The radiator was moved slightly to take advantage of more airflow, and that seemed to keep the temps in check.

The boost controller has been reconnected. It makes a huge difference in spool time, and now the boost repsonse has to be felt to be believed. It's so sensative that the pressure can be modulated easily with the pedal, whereas every 2jz I've ever had has been an "all or nothing" situation. I'm going to try and get the car back on the dyno this weekend, and along with going for higher boost, I'm going to ask for a redyno of the baseline 8psi. With the controller hooked back in, and the transmission working properly, I'm betting on a good bit more power. FWIW, as I was messing with the boost controller trying to get it to 8psi, it overboosted to ~20psi. The car is a real screamer. :)

Here is how the engine bay sits as of now.

The downside is that your vent will usually pickup nothing but warm air. Small price to pay though.

Eric

that wouldn't be a problem in the UK, interesting though, i have seen "jacked" up bonnets with packing pieces but removing the seal would do the same job