The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The NA/Non Turbo

RobSheffield

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trouble is whenever this subject crops up the same names appear then launch into personal attacks, rather than talking about the subject in hand.

I wasn't going to post as I didn't want to detract from the original topic but this is now getting rather tedious.

Firstly, can you point out which post in this thread can be construed as "having a go at NA owners"? Secondly, who are these villains who constantly talk down to NA owners?

To my mind, the reverse is true and it is actually the same small group of NA owners who are constantly on the defensive about their cars. It is as if they have a definite inferiority complex and their only form of defence is to either attack or whinge.

And as for the the remark about the Skyline forum - please don't make me laugh. They are well known for their vitriolic "talking down" to GTS owners.

I wasn't going to post as I didn't want to detract from the original topic but this is now getting rather tedious.

Firstly, can you point out which post in this thread can be construed as "having a go at NA owners"? Secondly, who are these villains who constantly talk down to NA owners?

To my mind, the reverse is true and it is actually the same small group of NA owners who are constantly on the defensive about their cars. It is as if they have a definite inferiority complex and their only form of defence is to either attack or whinge.

And as for the the remark about the Skyline forum - please don't make me laugh. They are well known for their vitriolic "talking down" to GTS owners.

I couldn't agree moe CJ it is a very tedious subject.. and should be frowned upon in a "Club"

I have quite a few friends in the GTROC who all think the GTS are a great car with great potential and of course RWD.. and these are owners of GTR's who still have GTS's

My input in this was to agree with Rob not to be singled out as usual,

I couldn't agree moe CJ it is a very tedious subject.. and should be frowned upon in a "Club"

I have quite a few friends in the GTROC who all think the GTS are a great car with great potential and of course RWD.. and these are owners of GTR's who still have GTS's

My input in this was to agree with Rob not to be singled out as usual,

You only get singled out as you are the one who tends to rant and rave about the perceived persecution.

TBH old chap, my remark regarding tedium was aimed at you rather than the thread.

Congratulations, you have bought an NA (SZ or SZ-R) now you may have an inkling for more power but hold on, before you jump in asking questions and ressurecting threads from 5 years ago, take a moment to read this.

Ok, first lets look at the possible reasons you bought an NA. They are lower fuel consuption, cheaper purchase price and (arguably) cheaper insurance. Please do not misunderstand the reasons for this thread - the NA is still a capable vehicle - i have always been impressed while driving them, it is not my intention to take the piss. I am among a growing minority of memebers who are sick of folk with NAs posting up asking if they should buy a BOV, or an intercooler :p

Possible methods of power increase may include:-

An aftermarket filter in the stock airbox (aftermarket cone filters will (arguably) lose you power)

Decat

New manifold (see Nic/import pimp)

Sports exhaust system

Superchips will not afford much increase, they will likely increase fuel consumption and overall are considered a waste of money compared to the above items.

Finally, if you see an item on ebay, please try to use the search as we have a fair few 'omgrofllmao i found this £20 chip on ebay will it make my NA 400BHP' threads which will have been answered

Thank you :)

(mods, if you want to pop this in FAQs and or sticky it or move it then feel free :D)

I'll help the FAQ part then, Rob you could maybe add throttle bodies to the mods list. I know they're not that common but has been done I believe, Oh and NOS. :D

You only get singled out as you are the one who tends to rant and rave about the perceived persecution.

TBH old chap, my remark regarding tedium was aimed at you rather than the thread.

Thanks and there was me thinking i had one friend :rlol:

Oh dear i rant and rave...

Back on the naughty step

Just passionate about the car...

Holmer that would be Perfect Itwould be really helpful especially to the newbies,

All the NA owners could then if they wish offer advice with what has worked on their car(s) and what doesn't,

Exactly, and your input is welcome.

I'll help the FAQ part then, Rob you could maybe add throttle bodies to the mods list. I know they're not that common but has been done I believe, Oh and NOS. :D

Those are both things I have noted down to add :) A 2JZ on throttle bodies would sound :drool: only ever seen it done once.

Exactly, and your input is welcome.

I've had quite a few Pm's recently from the Guys wanting pics of my Heat Sheilds and Cold feed pipes,

Shame I can't get them up on the site as can't scale the size down which is a shame,

But i'm more than happy to email them to anyone who is doing one for the first time so at least gives an idea

Shame I can't get them up on the site as can't scale the size down which is a shame,

But i'm more than happy to email them to anyone who is doing one for the first time so at least gives an idea

Are you not able to resize a picture? Send them over and I can do it for you, or use one of the free programs on the net, or use imageshack.us to host. There's no excuse not to host pictures or videos these days ;)

Are you not able to resize a picture? Send them over and I can do it for you, or use one of the free programs on the net, or use imageshack.us to host. There's no excuse not to host pictures or videos these days ;)

Could you please pm me and i'll give you my email address ,

I'll send them back as can't seem to resize them, If you could put them up for me that would be greatly appreciated i'm sure they'd be of some help to somone

I'm having same prob with adding garage pics too, tried all sorts i'm a few kb over each time

As this thread is now completely off topic...

I thing that the only different between TT and NA is 1 minute to reach the top speed

Nope, that depends on gearbox, final drive and bhp available. A majority of the TT's have different models diff and gearbox which allow far greater speed. When has an NA been recorded hitting 170, 180 or 190 mph? All have been done in a TT.

How about adding that N/As with a decent exhaust and decat will sound like thunder - louder than their forced induction brethren :)

Also, with an N/A you get the gorgeous looks of a TT and the fantastic driving position without the worry of seeing all your earnings disappearing into the 'mod pot'

:) :)

Not sure I agree with point 1, cause a TT with RSR or a Nur-Spec is bloody loud.......is the NA with a decat louder..?

agree with the 2nd points - modding a TT costs a bank...

Great Thread Rob, good idea. Dave posted some good suggestions, should be incorporated into the FAQ.

Not sure I agree with point 1, cause a TT with RSR or a Nur-Spec is bloody loud.......is the NA with a decat louder..?

Completely detracting from the original post which I actually think is valid - well done Rob!

Imi- I have the good fortune of having both an NA and TT in the household both fully decatted and with Nurspecs and I can safely say that there is a difference, a very very big difference in volume. :devil:

What about the XS turbo kit and turbo fit N/A-T service, should be asking Gaz about price for that its a definate upgrade for the N/A.

Thanks though Rob didnt know about the manifold :) I will research instantly. Good idea but my 2cents worth is that you will always get these questions as when you buy a new car your so excited you just ask this question without spending several hours trawling through threads. But this would solve that problem I guess.

P.S Can we get some real technical bods explaining the benefits and prices of replacing engine parts, pulleys etc.

:lol: at this thread. I have nothing valuable to add.........but I will say I love the fact Im finally driving a Supra, and thats the point isn't it? To the outside world no one knows one way or the other if its a TT or an NA, and really does it matter? If someone wants to have a dig at the NA, it shouldn't bother you, as its personal preference at the end of the day, just like anything. 220 hp is no slouch in my book!

From a personal point of view, I won't be spending any money on modifications, as I don't believe [my preference] that the power increases will justify the expense [except I would consider NOS.........hint hint hint hint....christmas is coming ;) ], I'd much rather save my money and keep it aside for servicing and maintenance of the supra I do have, so I can keep it as nice as I can.

and Yes one day I will probably upgrade to a TT or convert NA-T, but not because I feel the NA is inferior, but when I can legitimately justify it both financially and in terms of [wanting] the extra HP.

having read all the threads theres a lot of good advice and i think

it would be a great idea to have a faq/tuning guide for the n/a

Rob had the right idea in starting this thread it. isnt about the tt vs n/a thing .my n/a looks a lot better than a lot of tts. the only difference between the two is the ability to go quicker.

some comments ive read on here

1.dont race if you have an n/a youll embarass us

2.just park it and stand next to it no one will no you havent got any turbos.

3.send it back to japan and ask for the missing turbos

these are just a few and no i dont feel inferior mines a supra too.

:lol: at this thread. I have nothing valuable to add.........but I will say I love the fact Im finally driving a Supra, and thats the point isn't it? To the outside world no one knows one way or the other if its a TT or an NA, and really does it matter? If someone wants to have a dig at the NA, it shouldn't bother you, as its personal preference at the end of the day, just like anything. 220 hp is no slouch in my book!

From a personal point of view, I won't be spending any money on modifications, as I don't believe [my preference] that the power increases will justify the expense [except I would consider NOS.........hint hint hint hint....christmas is coming ;) ], I'd much rather save my money and keep it aside for servicing and maintenance of the supra I do have, so I can keep it as nice as I can.

and Yes one day I will probably upgrade to a TT or convert NA-T, but not because I feel the NA is inferior, but when I can legitimately justify it both financially and in terms of [wanting] the extra HP.

nicely put