The mkiv Supra Owners Club

This EnvironMentalists thing has me worried

Gazboy

Are you worried about our car residuals  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Are you worried about our car residuals

• Oh yes, our cars will be worth scrap.
    • Nope, can't see anything changing.
    • Ha ha- it's the chavs with EMIC's that'll kill us...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looked up the 450H:

341 BHP 3.5 ltr V6

0-60 in 5.9 (in a barge)

186 g/kg CO2

35.8 mpg

London conjestion charge does not apply

If people made some performance cars with new hybrid engines, surely that would be OK??

Thats not a bad spec.... any turbo chargers?

There are fuels out there already that would cut emissions and make a big difference to pollution levels etc.. the gov and fuel companies just need to get it in motion.

Besides.. as its all for the environment.. can you really see us paying through the nose trying to protect it, when the rest of the world wont?

The LF-A will be a Hybrid.

Stop wasting money on Iraq...build 10 new Nuclear Powerstations, remove the coal and oil ones... et voila...the UK's not a big producer of C02.

Which is another issue...how much of a difference do you think we'll make compared to America, India and China?

Who's stopping Brazil etc from chopping down the rainforest? Mother nature's CO2 scrubbing engine is being torn down at an alarming rate...as is Siberia's forests too.

So bascailly the UK can't do much if the Earth is being raped...so they don't have an excuse to tax us....but someone should stop the forests being destroyed and should help developing countries use renewable/cleaner energy production facilities.

If it wasn't about MONEY and really was about the health of the world...the Rainforests would be protected.

Isnt it great that the government goes for the easiest target, rather than taxing the airline carriers profits or actually taxing aviation fuel along with taxing industry for all the pollution. It is once again the silent majority moaning about the changes and doing nothing about it. Population inertia, we moan about it but does anything change!!

When did we become a republic? :D

Seriously tho, the difference is this tax is going to affect voters more directly than the war in another country will and thats what determines most policy today.

Theres little in the way of real ideas.. its just bandwagon jumping and appearing to give the voters what they want.

Oh yeah- who are you going to vote for instead? Look at the last general election colour map- almost all of England was blue, save for a few spots of red up North, the people this will affect most have already voted for the other guy lol.

Then you've got other things like huge wastage (Dome, Wembley, Opera House), masses of red tape, bureaucracy (look how much Police time is wasted form filling), criminals having human rights to make them damn near untouchable (and should a burgler fall onto a kitchen knife while climbing through your window he can sue you) yet you can't tick that blue box twice- and blue isn't neccesarily the answer anyway- they brought in the fuel tax excalator, and the top income tax bracket was crushing. Lib Dems are anti-everything that's fun- who'se left- the BNP- not really an answer are they.

Pete- no I'm not saying we should pay more tax on energy- it's just an illistration of the bullshit cash cow this all is by blaming car owners.

Anyway. I don't see what the fuss is. I was out yesterday with some friends and we had T-shirts on - it's nearly November for Christ's sake!! We should have done this Global Warming years ago instead of freezing our butts off :D

The world will end at some point, probably when she's pissed of with these human insects destroying her. Nothing we can do about in real terms, so I just think we should get what we can and when it all burns, 'bye bye' human kind and along comes the next species ... I don't see why people seem to be so bothered about the human racen dying out, it's no big deal.

Mother nature won't kill us off...oh no it's the idiot politicians on the nuclear button across the globe that'll do it.

After all thanks to religion and the "ENDTIMERS" in the US predicting and plotting Armageddon so that they can go through with some prophecy about the second bastard coming...global warming's going to be a bit academic.

Mother nature won't kill us off...oh no it's the idiot politicians on the nuclear button across the globe that'll do it.

After all thanks to religion and the "ENDTIMERS" in the US predicting and plotting Armageddon so that they can go through with some prophecy about the second bastard coming...global warming's going to be a bit academical.

Too True !!!

Who's stopping Brazil etc from chopping down the rain forest? Mother nature's CO2 scrubbing engine is being torn down at an alarming rate...as is Siberia's forests too.

Interestingly the rain forests aren't the CO2 powerhouse, not really. It's actually the algae in the oceans that is far more effective. And if global sea temperatures rise, the chances are that the algae will breed even faster...increasing their biomass dramatically, increasing their CO2 processing capability.

Isn't it great that the government goes for the easiest target, rather than taxing the airline carriers profits or actually taxing aviation fuel along with taxing industry for all the pollution.

They are increasing airport tax and putting VAT onto aviation fuel. Mind you, that comes out of the passengers pockets, not the carriers.

If you read the latest report that has triggered this latest round of media sensationalism, the author even admits that the science is dubious, but that the risks of doing nothing are intolerable. In other words, they've got no proof, but want to tax us to hell and back, in case it helps.

The other amusing thing is that the report was commissioned and paid for by the treasury. What a huge surprise therefore, that the published conclusion was "We have to tax you more".

Oh yeah- who are you going to vote for instead? Look at the last general election colour map- almost all of England was blue, save for a few spots of red up North, the people this will affect most have already voted for the other guy lol.

I'm not getting political I cant be bothered, I wasnt making or trying to make a politcal standpoint either.. they're all as bad as each other really :)

Most of England was blue, I guess.. but where most of the actual population live it was different.

Interestingly the rain forests aren't the CO2 powerhouse, not really. It's actually the algae in the oceans that is far more effective. And if global sea temperatures rise, the chances are that the algae will breed even faster...increasing their biomass dramatically, increasing their CO2 processing capability.

Interesting :think: Didn't know that! It's been proven throughout history that raising taxes doesn't do anything when you're looking to reduce usage (cigarettes anyone?). Anyway since when did people buy 4x4's, 'gas guzzlers' etc because they make economic sense? Raising the tax on them will just make some people want them even more because it's a way of showing off how much you can afford to spend on a car. Or let's not forget the classic reason of actually needing a vehicle like a 4x4 - how is raising taxes supposed to help that?

All in all it's a typical load of c**p to squeeze yet more tax £££ from us while (as Ian says), industry continues to pollute more and more in order to produce disposable stuff that we don't need.

How much energy does all that junkmail through our letterboxes cost each year in Co2 emissions? Just one example of the hipocrasy we have to suffer.

Fit catalysts to cows & leave drivers alone. (I'm sure there's a slogan in there somewhere?)

Oh, and all politicians are the same - egotistical ba**ards, so changing the party in power won't make any difference... We'll all still be ruled by a load of power crazed butt monkeys.

My 2p worth. :D

I'm not getting political I cant be bothered, I wasnt making or trying to make a politcal standpoint either.. they're all as bad as each other really :)

Entirely my point mate.

Most of England was blue, I guess.. but where most of the actual population live it was different.

Damn close to the entire south east voted blue- by far the highest concentration of people. Look as a voting map, then look at a population map.

it pisses me off all the goverment do is think up extra taxes. if its a problem. oh i know lets tax it and it will go away .and its usually the car that gets it .uk is less than 2% of the worlds emmisions and cars in the uk are 0.016% of that .{i think}so lets kill all the cows have a massive burger party then we can all drive round in V8s.oh yeah have you ever seen any gov minister in a prius oh no jags all round for them .thats my 2p :tongue:

we need a government called the sensible party who can stand up and say hang on thats not right lets do it this way instead.... no what i mean ? another 1p

You know, in the old days when people didn't like what the powers that be were up to they would march on them and in some cases remove them from power.

Nearly 1,000,000 people marched by Downing Street to protest a war (myself included) and yet they never thought to overwhelm the police and seize Downing Street or Parliament.

Do you think Govt. will take notice of some pissed off sports car owners? No. They know that, at the end of the day, we'll just sit back and take it.

Direct action can work. Time to shake things up?

What happened to the biofuel - so much land in the UK is set-aside - farmers get paid to do nothing with it so the food mountains dont get too big, yet this land is going to waste when it could be producing nice 105 ron fuel and taking co2 out of the air...

surely if we all used bio fuel we wouldn't have any co2 emissions for the motoring industry and we wouldn't have to buy oil from overseas... and you could turn the boost up!

I can't see these changes going ahead... 2k a year for road tax - there would be hell on!!

if someone made a car that ran on water with no emmisions they would find a way to tax you on it.its bollocks about saving the planet,they just jumping on green bandwaggon.its a good excuse to get more money out of soft touch motorists.

a woman on radio other day was saying her husband has a v8 land rover and he uses it it 2 days a week.he will kick out less than a small family car that is used everyday.how many people would love to use things like solar panels to cut heating bills and do there bit.

you only have to look at all the crap deisel cars and busses and lorrys kick out.1 small island wont stop the damage to ozone layer.supprised people not saying enough is enough.

this subject has been winding me up well and truly all day long - repeated on the radio SOOO many times i've been going crackers.

Taxing people more is WRONG! It WILL NOT WORK. Unless the £50 notes the government take line our ozone layer and fill the gaping hole, and planting them in the ground gives us new forests, then it wont WORK!

Taxing people more won't stop them using the less-economical cars/appliances etc - they'll just look for more money with respect to jobs etc to pay for it.

What the government really need to do is to STOP the waste:

1) Stop the throw-away society we live in, and repair old products rather than just stick them in a landfill

2) Stop manufacturers from making standby modes on devices, or at least make them MUCH more economical in this mode

3) Decrease the price of the enegy-saving appliances - such as light bulbs, more economical fridges/freezers etc. People will then buy them as an ALTERNATIVE, not a one-off.

4) Tax should be GLOBAL - if it is to be increased, increase it for EVERY COUNTRY. America pollutes FAR more than the UK - but their fuel prices are under 1/2 what we pay.

And so on....

Its not going to work - because i'm sure the above won't ever change.

We're screwed.