The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sequential Big Twins.......

Suprash

This is all turning into a bit of moo point, I ask about this format not because I want to try and beat any single, to produce more low down power, or get greater torque then this or that.

I love the sequential system, and wondered if there was an upgrade in which I could keep a sequential setup......irrespective of how it compares to T61 or other...... ;)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was once very into this idea, but not anymore. Having a system that only kicks in @ 4000rpm means i get good fuel economy and easy town driving, anyway only your Granny races from 2000rpm.

Running the engine most of the time below the power band of a big single can only increase engine life.

:goodpost:

Just remembered I have a PM from the owner of the HKS car- one thing he did mention was that the HKSGT25/30's have no provision for #2 to prespool before coming online.

Would I be correct thinking this would drastically shorten the lifespan of the blades & shaft because they'd be going from static to spinning at a high rate very very quickly?

• 4 weeks later...

OK, here goes: either you have a sequential setup, or you don't:

If you DO then you are restricted in max power terms by the stock exh manifold, stock turbine housings and the prespool piping. These can only be marginally improved by a determined tuner.

If you DON'T have a seq setup, then the world is your oyster (powerwise) but you may as well forget boost below 3500rpm, perhaps even 4Krpm and get on with it.

Don't fall for the theory that two smaller turbos have less lag than a big one. This argument is flawed, and it usually comes from the same people who advocate that a big intercooler will increase lag.

What two smaller turbos do for certain (on a supra setup at least)is add extra hot pipes under the bonnet and create packaging problems.

To recoup:

Once the sequential setup has been abandoned, forget low-down boost.

Use different deciding factors for your evaluation.:)

If you DO then you are restricted in max power terms by the stock exh manifold, stock turbine housings and the prespool piping. These can only be marginally improved by a determined tuner.

John, read the link posted by Peter, I've just posted the dodgyly translation info on the supposed "Big sequentials" at the end.

Don't fall for the theory that two smaller turbos have less lag than a big one. This argument is flawed, and it usually comes from the same people who advocate that a big intercooler will increase lag.

QUOTE]

So your saying that by the time your sequential turbo set up has spun up turbo1 then changes to turbo2 - (both have had to spin up to speed)- this is accumaliative to the larger single unit? or is it how soon u get the power? or what? :blink:

Its just in my world smaller turbo's spin up faster than larger ones, due to that pesky science thing - if your just talking about lag times that is?

I know what you are saying John (6 into one vs 3 into 2), but then Porsche disagree with you. You could argue that that was a packaging issue but then Nissan also had two small parallels instead of one big turbo in the GTRs.

Could you go more in depth regarding intercooler sizes? I was always under the impression that the bigger the volume, the longer it took to pressurise. :confused:

Not at all. Their R&D is among the best, it is not likely that they'd make gross mistakes, is it?

Which Porsche inline 6 are you referring to?

They changed their 3.6 flat 6 with one big turbocharger, to two smaller turbochargers. RUF had been doing this for years before them though (CTR 'yellowbird')

... I was always under the impression that the bigger the volume, the longer it took to pressurise. :confused:

You could calculate your engine's airflow under boost and then compare it to the internal volume of the biggest intercooler you can think of. We're talking milliseconds here.

The falacy is thinking that lag is related to this volume - it isn't. Not to any significant degree, anyway.

nope

so.........can you explain to me why the argument is floored, because I think I may be missing something? :shrug:

Not taking into account the intercooler (big/small) argument - which is again easily solved with a little science as Gazboy points out quite rightly. Just a generic size will be fine.

A plumbing solution that is optimal for an inline 6 is not necessarily as good for a boxer or a V8.

That is obvious, right?;)

Porche actually *did* fit a sequential twin turbo to their flagship model, beating Toyota to it.

The plumbing situation wasn't what caused them to ditch the big single turbo for the smaller parrallels (which is what I initialy thought so I asked a Porsche tuner who corrected me), they found they could get the two spooling faster and more progresively than the single.

If you just want to talk about straight 6's- the Skyline GTR- why does it have two when it should have used 1 big one?

You could calculate your engine's airflow under boost and then compare it to the internal volume of the biggest intercooler you can think of. We're talking milliseconds here.

The falacy is thinking that lag is related to this volume - it isn't. Not to any significant degree, anyway.

It still take longer to presurise a huge fmic than the stock smic, like it would take longer to blow a paper ball out of the end of a 10foot hose than a 4 foot hose...

Gaz,

this 2 vs 1 argument has been around for years.

It is based on the incorrect assumption that the 'big' turbo will be twice as big as any of the 'small' ones.

The argument goes that inertia forces in centrifugal assemblies tend to increase by the square/cube of diameter, so the 'big' turbo that is twice as big will have to overcome resistance that is 4/8 times as much, hence the disproportionately larger lag.

In real life it ain't so because other manufacturing parameters get in the equation. Also a turbo that is twice as big will flow a lot more than the two 'half' turbos, so the comparison is flawed anyway;)

It still take longer to presurise a huge fmic than the stock smic, like it would take longer to blow a paper ball out of the end of a 10foot hose than a 4 foot hose...

Blowing the paper ball is not very comparable, is it?

Also remember that lag is only measured over the boost threshold.