The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best motorway cruiser?

tbourner

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Previous shape is OK but I'm picky about details. Was hoping for climate control and cruise control and all that jazz! :D

Climate yes...don't think it has cruise, but can check..it wont be a lot but I don't know how much yet...what ever parkers reckons for a 16-18,000mile old one in A grade condtion.

Whilst the Supra is possibly the most comfortable cruiser on the planet...I'd never commute again in one (used to do 80miles a day). It's just too uneconomic when you factor in the fuel/tyresserviceing etc.

I'd scrap the Yaris and get a second hand VAG 1.9TDi powered car. A3, A4, A6, Golf, Passat, Octavia (yes I know!), Leon.

Agree with Alex on this one, servicing and petrol wil cripple you unless your on silly money and can afford to pay it

I would go for one of the turbo deisel models

• 3 years later...

/bumping this as I might need such a car.

Something used and cheap-ish (around 7 grand). Any recommendations? I read somewhere that there are some cars that pull 1.5k-ish revs sitting at 70-80mph which sounds very impressive! :D

edit: whoopsie, this thread seems to be in Supra chat. Perhaps its more suited to OT?

I got a 53 plate Nissan primera 2.2 DCI a few weeks ago. I find it really good i get about 38MPG in town and over 50MPG on the motorway even when i am in a rush and have a heavy right foot it still gets over 35MPG. Its not a quick car but it will go along at 80 - 90 very nicely and there cheap to buy :)

Having said this I'd probably get an X-Type, 3.0 V6 Sport - a friend has one and it's so smooth, the manual is like driving an auto, 4WD, cheap parts thanks to it being Mondeo-based (£75 for a full set of discs and pads) and has a bit of class to it. 'Only' ~230bhp but feels quick enough.

My mates selling an X type 3.0 V6 Sport, great condition and just put 4 x p zero neros on it. Think its up for 7 or 8K

hehe, many nice suggestions thanks! I am not looking for something sporty I guess as I would just use it for commute. Prefer something I love spending time in. Something relaxing that makes all those miles melt away....

Was thinking of the E39 5 series diesel but are they high maintanence? Also, I thought the 535d is only for the newer shaped 5 series ? (which is pretty much out of my budget :( )

Soarer is tempting but I don't think it will help the fuel consumption :p Golf...well... don't really like the shape of the older models. I looked at Jags as well. Didn't know they were 4WD! I went on a forum and it seems X types are prone to gearbox problems?

Also, diesel or petrol?

e39 5 series ftw

Yep. The 530d sport of this shape was/is one of the all time greats. 50+ mpg on a run, very torquey engine with a wide poweband, well built and very good looking IMHO.

Performance wise, I'd say it was on a par with an NA Supra, although it's a more involving drive than an NA would be.

The saloons the looker, but I'd probably go with the touring for the gargantuan boot.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Yep. The 530d sport of this shape was/is one of the all time greats. 50+ mpg on a run, very torquey engine with a wide poweband, well built and very good looking IMHO.

Performance wise, I'd say it was on a par with an NA Supra, although it's a more involving drive than an NA would be.

The saloons the looker, but I'd probably go with the touring for the gargantuan boot.

It definitely has more torque compared to the N/A though :)

390 N·m (290 ft·lbf) @ 1750 vs. 209 to 220 ft.lbf (283 to 298 Nm) of torque at 3800 to 4800 rpm

I know diesels are very good for long commutes due to the fuel economy but how will the engine fare? Won't petrols feel "smoother" on the motorway cruise?

Forget the 850, they're LOADS of trouble, the 840 (later model Ci with the 4.4 instead of the 4.0) is what you want. So comfortable on long journeys and more than enough power to get you out of/into trouble on the motorway. The M62 4.4 is whisper quiet and really smooth aswell, flat torque from just off idle all the way up to 5500rpm with seamless gearchanges, even in steptronic mode. Absolute classic. My dad has been trying to sell his estoril blue 840 and if i could afford it i'd have it, depreciation hit them hard:(