The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best motorway cruiser?

tbourner

It definitely has more torque compared to the N/A though :)

390 N·m (290 ft·lbf) @ 1750 vs. 209 to 220 ft.lbf (283 to 298 Nm) of torque at 3800 to 4800 rpm

I know diesels are very good for long commutes due to the fuel economy but how will the engine fare? Won't petrols feel "smoother" on the motorway cruise?

The 530d's engine is very refined, I've only ever driven a manual which I thought was a joy, but an auto would probably be better still for motorway work.

They respond well to re maps too :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mercedes S or E Class Diesel Auto

Lexus GS300 Sport Package Auto

VW Phaeton Auto

Audi A8 Auto

Honda Legend Auto

Toyota Aristo Auto

Toyota Chaser Auto

Chrysler 300C (E Class Chassis)

Volvo V70 High Pressure Turbo

Jaguar Xj

Ford Scorpio(One of the Engies goes like Stink)

I think that is my list, I would most likely get a Mercedes Or Lexus

Edited by Jellybean (see edit history)

hehe was thinking of Mercedes as well. I've been in an E Class taxi in Amsterdam and its really smooth and quiet. But I am thinking if it would be suitable for my age group :p

Chrysler 300C..looks nice but I've seen the interior which is a let down. Plenty of cheap plastics.

Looking at GS430 sports as well very tempting! Phaeton also very tempting ... they took a massive hit in depreciation it seems. It's just the maintanence cost I am worried about these cars are most of them are high mileage. Plenty of gizzmos too so don't know if it will be expensive to repair. Same with the 8 series I guess...

Very good suggestions there though clodola. Will have a look. Currently very tempted with the E39 530d. I like the torque but I wonder how will it perform cruising on the motorway. The biggest capacity diesel I've driven is a 150bhp 2litre and its not very refined on motorways. (but then again its a Renault :p)

I did think Volvo S60 or S80 but most I can find have wheezy engines.

740 V8 Auto. Built for Motorways. Drove to Strasbourg and back over a long weekend. Effortless. And got 28 mpg overall. And I hit the limiter when possible...

Oh... I must say I did have the priviledge to own a 04 745i auto for a short while and it's so easy to slip into the 110-120 lepton range without you even noticing. Extremely quiet and stable up until 130-ish then you noticed a bit of a wind noise :p

Brilliant barge but maintanence and upkeep is very expensive as well.