The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supes and lads

gaz1

The thing is, he wants a supra and he will get one sooner or later, but I really think someone who has a crash with a fiat for speeding reason then a supra is not a good option.

I personally think whoever wants a fast car like a supra, needs to be perfect on slower cars to just manage a performance car like a sooop.

not saying he is too young but I think he need more experience on the road, we all said we know what we doing but did we really know what we were doing????????????

im 21 been driving 2 years, had a corsa 1.2 (still got) a vectra (2,5) and the Supra. tbh, I hammer the corsa a bit more cause im not scared of crashing it, but i still am a slow driver....so say all my mates, im the same with the supra, I never drive it fast, i like the look of it, sure i like the acceleration and things, but at 21 im always dead, dead careful with it.

As a father myself I have to take responsibility for the fact that my 14 year old son is facinated by fast cars.

He is always talking about the cars and bikes he is going to have when he is older.

I would be horrified to think of him driving a 3 litre car at the age of 18-19, at least until he has at least 8-10 years experience driving other less powerful machines.

I dont mean to offend any younger drivers here, I am aware there are many competent and safe 20 somethings driving , but as a dad I feel responsible.

I would consider fitting a speed limiter of some fashion, if such a thing was available.

No parent should have to bury a son or daughter.

Bit dramatic maybe but ..........

John

I'm 23 (24 in Nov) and have been driving for 8 years now. Was practising in a ford transit around mates building yard at 16! I have quite a bit of driving experience, driven old fiestas, Suzuki Swift GTI, 3.25 and 5.30 BMWs and now a Sup. I've driven various rental cars on a weekly basis too as part of my job. I'm a very careful driver and Ive never been a fan of crazy speeds. The whole point of a Sup is you don't often need to - people know it's frikking fast so the corsa/pug boys just back off.

Never had a crash in all my years (still young and not many I know!) of driving........until I got the Supra. This was within 6 weeks of ownership and only doing 30-35mph where the back end slid out around a long but not so tight bend. I was very lucky. Nobody was hurt and it could of been a lot lot worse.

The whole point is, I've had experience with BMWs RWD vehicles, but never as such a performance level as the supra. To go from a 'crashed Corsa' to a RWD Supra without any intermediary power is just insane Gaz. As people have said, be a dad and watch out for his interests.

Currently, agreeing for him to have ownership of a Supra is not a healthy option ;)

I wouldn't be here now if I'd had a Supra before the age of 21.

:yeahthat:

Just drove everycar i had to the limit 90% of the time and worse in front of mates. Saying that an N/A is not stupidly quick and it could be sold as fast as bought.

Trial period - keep an eye on his fuel consumption and that should let you know how he is driving it. Obviously dont tell him that.

I imagine the fiat crash will put some caution in him but confidence comes back fast at that age. Definitly leave the limiter on and lots of education on handling a r/w drive.

I work in higher education as a lecturer and spend my working life dealing with this age group. I'm sure I was no different but all the lads drive their cars so fast!!! And unfortunately I always seem to lose a few a year thought car accidents! It’s funny when talking (to the lucky ones that make it through), before and after an accident that feeling of immorality that they had has been knocked out of them!

Only you really know your son and his driving ability, personally when I was that age (for birthday presents etc) my dad took me to advanced school of motoring, then track days, skid pan stuff and it was brilliant! But I think all of that made me feel more confident in a powerful car and my dad felt better about me driving round. Then on my 21st I got money towards a 220GTI turbo which at the time was fast!

my 2p.....he's crashed a Fiat ok fine but to those saying he'll just crash the supra well he may, but then he may crash whatever car he has next!

The fiat and i imagine any car he has from now will be able to do 112mph so a limited NA supra will be no faster but will provide more crash protection for him than the fiat or hot hatch etc etc. (although it might not help those he hits...)

At fiat like speed it will handle the bends better, brake better etc, its if he pushes on to find the supras limits the troubles will start.

Tough one really, only you know him really well...........

thanks for the advice people, and i think faye may be right i think of him as a mate as well as a son, we do loads together even work together, and i think i may have been kidding myself, thinking about it a lot today, i am going to put him on a driving course, for rear wheel drive, skid pan ect, and in the meantime will be picking him up a less powerfull car, maybe next year, he comes to most of the meets and shows with me, so would have been nice to have him come along with his own.

Do you really think you're in a safer cabin and can a supra be classified as 'safer'? I don't know. I have a j-spec 93 no airbag, sh&t TC and its obviously potent. I would personally feel safer crashing in my old R-Reg Fiesta than a Supra. :(

Not sure what the crash tests were like for the earlier cars though.

i got mine when i was 19, had it around 6 months now and don't really put the boot down until i'm on a nice straight, i've got max respect for the car and if i crashed her i would be in tears.

i called sky about going single next year, they quoted roughly 2000-2500 based on a t78 650bhp car and they don't care about baody kits either.

to say no 19 yr old should have a supe is silly. i was doing 40,000 miles a year for work from the age of 17 so classed myself as pretty competent however at that age if you are in a car with your mates especially a supra you are going to show off. insurance companies dont ask silly premiums for nothing.

Do you really think you're in a safer cabin and can a supra be classified as 'safer'? I don't know. I have a j-spec 93 no airbag, sh&t TC and its obviously potent. I would personally feel safer crashing in my old R-Reg Fiesta than a Supra. :(

Are you serious? I can't see that the fiesta has anywhere near the body strength of a supra. I've seen some quite big impact damaged sups and the front windscreen may be smashed but there usually very little actual displacement of the roof or A pillars and very rarely any intrusion into the cabin at all.