• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Neck snapping is it? :lol:

Which turbo are you running now Jez?

Ok, so not quite neck snapping, but i do only have a little neck. :D I think coupled with the fact i'm now getting used to a manual, it feels more aggressive. Definately an improvement on smic though.

I'm now running a Garrett Gt90785893T99A. Its a hybrid, off one of the Queen Mary 2's engines. Its on full boost at 300rpm, and maxes out at 600psi. You can also remove it and use it as a house at weekends.

I installed an xs power cooler on my car...with custom pipework and before i installed the cooler i showed it to a fabricator,he builds rads coolers choppers all kinds of custom stuff and he said it was an excellent cooler,excellent quality,and when i installed it,the difference it made was fantastic.But like i always say there is people who would say hks greddy etc etc are better because of the name,but i think they talk shit:)

In a slightly more diplomatic fashion than Alex, Chris Wilson says they are a load of old rubbish, and given the choice between his say-so on an intercooler design and a spot-welder's, I'd go for CW's. But that's just my opinion :)

I'm totally non-brand whore, I've got I think at last count 17 different brands of parts plonked on my Supra. None of which are Defi ;) However I do believe that the bigger manufacturers do perform some R&D on some of their parts - like balancing the intercooler as I pointed out in my epic post previously (which I'm sure you read ;) ). I'm also sure the Ebay intercoolers haven't had such testing done. Looking at the end tanks I'd say they drop a relatively large amount of pressure and don't distribute the air charge too well, although they could be worse. However they will probably intercool better than a knackered SMIC or no intercooler at all, so depending on your goals they are prefectly adequate as long as their construction is OK.

-Ian

However they will probably intercool better than a knackered SMIC or no intercooler at all, so depending on your goals they are prefectly adequate as long as their construction is OK.

-Ian

yeah for the cost though they should be compared to other similar ICs. i.e. what else can you get for that much money that would work that well as a cooler? sounds to me like it could be better than the greddy 2 row, and cheaper? after all, one factor no one has mentioned here is size - and you're getting a large well made (if not extensively R&Dd) IC for minimal £. It only needs to be as good or better than the alternatives in its price range - no one is saying it is the best IC out there, for that matter none of those mentioned could claim that either Saying it is not as good as an IC costing 3x as much or more, well I should expect not lol

As long as it and the alternatives in that price range are good enough for what you are trying to do. No good picking the best value toffee hammer when you need a mallet :)

Good intercooling is like getting a bigger turbo with no extra lag. Power delivered by the engine is entirely dependant on the density of air going in, and the lower the air temps = the denser the air. Well worth the investment on a good one IMO. And ducting it as much as you can too.

This is one of the times I'd go for a branded item :shrug:

You know we could sort of test this if people can measure air temperature in their plenum :)

-Ian

the freind of mine isnt just a welder/spot welder.....he makes manifolds/exhaust's/porting/polishing/headwork/does work on rally cars and is also a excellent mechanic,and believe me he knows what he is talking about!!no he didnt take the cooler apart,but he inspected it and thought the quality was excellent,i realise that this doesnt really mean anything to some people but i would take HIS word over about 99.9% of people that i know,and when i fitted the cooler it made a massive difference and i am very happy with it,and i have not paid through the nose for it.To be convinced that the xs power unit is not of the same quality and does not do the same job as well as the named coolers i would have to be there and shown the tests and proof.I see this time and time again people putting cheaper products down with no backup whatsoever,Just because a unit can be bought from usa a lot cheaper than here in england or japan DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!UNLESS PROVEN TO BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: Thats all i gota say