xs power intercoolers?

fat_controller

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

got one on mine mate ebay jobbies had it shipped over from america in less than a week too, real quality piece of kit
What do you mean by 'quality piece of kit' though?

Did it have the typically shallow end tank design and the poor core structure usually seen on chinese FMICs?

How a car performs on a dyno with any given FMIC is no real indication of how well the FMIC is working. The air flow from one of those fans they stick in front of your car while it's on the dyno is a tiny fraction of the air flow it would really get out there on road, where it counts.

I'm not a trader and not associated with any traders, I'm just interested in establishing whether these cheap intercoolers are any good. I can understand why people go for them - because they're cheap, and the likes of HKS and GReddy are overpriced for what they are.

If the cheap ones are 'good enough' I guess that's all that matters - but let's not pretend they are equal to the better designed ones.

:shrug:

Why will it be inefficent??

It's not about power, but about cooling efficiency. If airflow is not smooth though the core then you'll have less efficient cooling and therefore air temp cooling. That’s why end tank design is so important. With the XS power ones (just for example) they have an extremely thin end tank near the upper 50% of the IC, air will not flow efficiently though this section of the IC.

So what sort of power will i loose with a shallow tank design?? Why will it be inefficent??
Same as Darryl said really; if, because of the poor end tank design, the core is only flowing air through the bottom few rows it can't work anywhere near efficiently.

You may not lose power but the increased (or more accurately 'not as lowered') intake temps are dangerous because of the likelyhood of detonation.

Ok, so if i slap one of these XS Power jobbies on my car how will i know it's not working right??

You'll know if you melt a piston through Det

What do you mean by 'quality piece of kit' though?

Did it have the typically shallow end tank design and the poor core structure usually seen on chinese FMICs?

How a car performs on a dyno with any given FMIC is no real indication of how well the FMIC is working. The air flow from one of those fans they stick in front of your car while it's on the dyno is a tiny fraction of the air flow it would really get out there on road, where it counts.

I'm not a trader and not associated with any traders, I'm just interested in establishing whether these cheap intercoolers are any good. I can understand why people go for them - because they're cheap, and the likes of HKS and GReddy are overpriced for what they are.

If the cheap ones are 'good enough' I guess that's all that matters - but let's not pretend they are equal to the better designed ones.

:shrug:

Im a welder and fabricator by trade, when looking at the intercooler the quality of the welding and the materials used are to the highest standards, not to sure what you mean by the end tank designs though? I have had this fitted on my car through the summer months with no heating worries and a noticeable difference in performance. Ive not compared it against a branded intercooler, but to be honest your just paying for the name :Pling:

Im a welder and fabricator by trade, when looking at the intercooler the quality of the welding and the materials used are to the highest standards, not to sure what you mean by the end tank designs though?
I mean that the end tanks of the chinese fmics are very shallow compared to the brand name ones. See how the airflow is all going into the bottom few rows of the core and little to no airflow going to the upper rows?

Ive not compared it against a branded intercooler, but to be honest your just paying for the name
Well, no. That's my main point really. It might be true if the design was as good as the named ones, unfortunately it isn't.

But anyway, like I said before mate, as long as it works good enough it's good enough.

I have a XS IC fitted and havn't noticed any problems but i never used to have a side mount so cant compare. Will be interesting to see what the difference is between a high branded IC and the XS one. I have been running a XS turbo, wastegate and IC for 5+ months now and never had a problem and the vehicle performs well.

:)

DSC05893.JPG

I dont have a fall but can lend you a wall :banghead: :D

:D

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that most of us won't find a problem with an inadequate intercooler until something f*cks up that causes us to investigate the cause.

Gazza, I don't think you need to worry since you're in BPU territory (something in which there should be no 'real' issue with a cheap fmic)

Jake, you got a wall I can smash my head against?

lol!

I'm just confused as to why people are confused about this. It's quite simple: the cheap ones do work but they don't work as well as the brand names ones. Whether they work well enough to do is another question.

Maybe it's just me but it seems that JamieP and SupraDibbs will defend anything TurboFit sell. I'm not sure why that is but they do seem to regularly come to TurboFit's defence.

I'm not slagging off TurboFit, I'm really not.

All I'm saying is that XS Power FMICs are not as good as GReddy or HKS ones, and that the design differences between chinese FMICs (XS Power, Hybrid Power) and the brand name ones is undeniable.

If you want to kid yourself your XS Power intercooler works as good as a GReddy one, go ahead and kid yourself, see if I care.

BTW.

They look cheap on your car too :tongue: :D

Well i had a GReddy IC on my car that was not up to the job .

The looks are the same once in the car. When put up along side a GReddy 4 row (i think it was) the angles of the sides are the same.

I have to admit that it is very worrying that with temps not as low as they should be det will be caused. And melting a Piston is also very worrying. Any chance you can point me in the right direction where one of these XS Power ones has done this so i can read about it?? May have to start thinking about a new one.

Well i had a GReddy IC on my car that was not up to the job .
In what way?

The looks are the same once in the car. When put up along side a GReddy 4 row (i think it was) the angles of the sides are the same.

I don't think that's correct James.

The difference between the end tanks on one of these image

and one of these is clear, innit?

Maybe you were comparing a chinese 4 row with a GReddy 2 row? Could that be it?

I have to admit that it is very worrying that with temps not as low as they should be det will be caused. And melting a Piston is also very worrying. Any chance you can point me in the right direction where one of these XS Power ones has done this so i can read about it??

No, I can't. I don't think anyone is saying it has happened and has been proved to be down to the ic design. Like I've said several times in this thread: "If they're good enough they're good enough" they just ain't as good as brand name one.

May have to start thinking about a new one.
What do you have currently then?

Edit:

Whoops! Forgot the pic links - hang on