The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is a Single worth it?

Stonkin

What a great topic and a great debate :)

Im in the middle of making my mind up as to whether to go single which lets face it if it did nothing else it really finishes off the engine bay a treat or i fit new o/e uk turbos as i like the sequential system.

I too have an auto so im not looking for more hp really and again im at BPU now with a dyno'd 430bhp, ive got to go one route or the other and the cost is quite similar for me which ever way i go.

Ive ruled out hybrids for my own reasons and now would love a run in a uk auto with a single on it, preferably a PHR kit using Map Ecu as thats what im thinking to fit if i went the single route.

Regards

Dunk

Hey Dunk,

You still don't have to pay Mr T prices, Turbo Technics can just rebuild your old ones http://www.turbotechnics.com/docs/turbo/exchange.htm if you don't want to go the Hybrid route.

Just a thought

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wouldn't go bigger than a 67, it really is enough power for a shopping car ;) It's deffo laggier than a 61

-Ian

Even with the DBB Ian ? I read your write up with interest. I remember you were getting more psi of boost earlier in the rev-range.

Hmm, I'll have to have search around for your report on it - as can't remember now.

It's in the Tech section somewhere. If we use 4th gear I hit 1.0bar at 3700rpm with the DBB - how does the T61 compare to that?

As a very rough rule my T67 at 0.9bar felt like my old uberhybrids at 1.4 = about 480bhp. At 1.4bar it dyno'd at 630bhp. That gives 30bhp per 0.1bar, which happily coincides with what Wez has said.

-Ian

I'm going single very soon. I'm on an auto box, so i'm going for a t61, along with other small changes. What made my mind up for me was a ride out in Lee's (BURTS) car, it really was an awesome ride. I'm out with single upgraded cars each month, BURT t61 auto, Robace t61 auto, an Matt Harwood t67 manual, they really pull away, even from us BPU guys when everyone hits the load pedal. Defo worth the money to me. :)

. If we use 4th gear I hit 1.0bar at 3700rpm with the DBB - how does the T61 compare to that?

-Ian

My wastegate spring is 1 bar. But as you know sometimes it can overboost perhaps 0.1 bar above that.

Just had a look at my EM datalogs for a 4th gear run -wastegate boost. And if I'm reading it right & interpreting the fields correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong) - the t61 was on full boost at 3974 rpm.

I'm going by the field "Relative pressure kg/cm2" - which was at 1.046. That was reading at 3974 rpm at 98% throttle.

But in the logs - it also shows the "Relative pressure kg/cm2" at 1.007 @ 3603rpm - at 97% throttle.

Thank you guys, this thread has been really useful to me. I'm glad Clarkey hasnt taken it the wrong way, it was purely for some techy advice as opposed to saying 'why bother wasting your money on that'

It seems there is a huge difference between different boost levels then and that was what i was mainly trying to understand.

In that case, Clarkey, get it sorted, and take me for another spin matey! :D

Hey Dunk,

You still don't have to pay Mr T prices, Turbo Technics can just rebuild your old ones http://www.turbotechnics.com/docs/turbo/exchange.htm if you don't want to go the Hybrid route.

Just a thought

Cheers Peter but think ive ruled out any rebuild on my old tubbies and would rather fit nice new ones, you never know with the heat cycles the turbo's go through if say the casings would fail and i dont want any doubts in my mind that ive done everything above and beyond and the money isnt really an issue and the saving isnt worth it imo.

Very interesting subject! I seriously considered going single a while ago. The main thing that put me off was that my supra is an automatic. I thought i'd probably end up upgrading the auto-box to cope with the power, and it still wouldn't be as controllable or as fun as a manual.

My car is BPU at 1.2bar and I don't crave any more power for the moment! Instead I bought an Elise which taught me that power (and err.. reliability) isn't everything :)

• 3 weeks later...
There's plenty of people with singles happy, but on the flip side, is anybody out there running a single conversion and really not happy with it??

Good question that.

Should also bear in mind that depending on your personal disposition, choosing and waiting for an endless stream of parts to turn up, questions being discussed and finally answered, work being carried out then fine fettling afterwards, can take its tolls on your stress levels.

If you dont have much hair then a single might not be for you, because you'll you probably be bald by the time its finished ;) :D

IMO dont do it unless your going to do it properly. e.g everything at once. Nothing should be "ok" for now. My mistake was not buying bigger injectors which meant the car was too slow. This resulted in me upping the boost too much for the 550's and its basically killed it!

Oh and i have lots of lag...i dont know why. But lots of lag on an autobox without a highstall is a big no no for me.

IMO dont do it unless your going to do it properly. e.g everything at once. Nothing should be "ok" for now. My mistake was not buying bigger injectors which meant the car was too slow. This resulted in me upping the boost too much for the 550's and its basically killed it!

Oh and i have lots of lag...i dont know why. But lots of lag on an autobox without a highstall is a big no no for me.

How can you Kill something then have lag ?:blink: Or do you mean you had lag then killed it ?

I had the 72mm turbo on my autobox with no hi-stall and lag wasn't bad at all. Turning the boost up was your own doing for which you are now suffering the consequences. I managed to keep my boost down to 0.8bar for a good few months whilst i was gathering my Fuel system together. You just need to be a bit sensible if you are going to do a build step by step:tongue:

Its not completly dead. I cant push it for too long though. If i do it drips oil or autobox fliud or something like that for a while and smokes like a beast!

Just very bad compression results and when it last went on the RR is didnt get on full boost untill 4800RPM

Its not completly dead. I cant push it for too long though. If i do it drips oil or autobox fliud or something like that for a while and smokes like a beast!

Just very bad compression results and when it last went on the RR is didnt get on full boost untill 4800RPM

Gotcha.. Low comp would lead to more lag :)

I had the 72mm turbo on my autobox with no hi-stall and lag wasn't bad at all. Turning the boost up was your own doing for which you are now suffering the consequences. I managed to keep my boost down to 0.8bar for a good few months whilst i was gathering my Fuel system together. You just need to be a bit sensible if you are going to do a build step by step:tongue:

I had a problem with lag from the word go. It took forever to come online, but it wasnt just that it was the fact that from standstill it REALLY slow to pull away.

I wonder if my engine was never up to it, or if there has been a problem there from the word go.

Killing the engine was me turing the boost up...ill happily admit that. I will stand by there being something strange/wrong before. Lucifer drove my car and agreed it didnt seem right!