The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is a Single worth it?

Stonkin

I had a problem with lag from the word go. It took forever to come online, but it wasnt just that it was the fact that from standstill it REALLY slow to pull away.

I wonder if my engine was never up to it, or if there has been a problem there from the word go.

Killing the engine was me turing the boost up...ill happily admit that. I will stand by there being something strange/wrong before. Lucifer drove my car and agreed it didnt seem right!

Yeh, it must have been buggered to begin with or well on its way as the T61 should spool super quick. As i said the 72mm turbo on the auto was very bearable for me.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeh, it must have been buggered to begin with or well on its way as the T61 should spool super quick. As i said the 72mm turbo on the auto was very bearable for me.

In that case, i would encourage people not to kick the shit out of there high mileage BPU engine before going single. :innocent:

At the time, i didnt know i needed one. I couldnt afford the bigger injectors but didnt know an FPR would do the job....not enough research i suppose!

It had done about 110 when i went single!

110k is nothing as long as it's been looked after:innocent:

Cheers for the replies, all interesting reading!

I was more getting at the people who didn't like the driveability, but didn't really think about the fact that it might be because they didn't do it properly (not having a dig John) or were doing it bit by bit.

All very interesting.

See, I've been looking at the PHR Street Kit, with a new pump, MAP ECU (as I've a UK car), fuel damper bypass, and a new clutch on standby!

See, I want more power but I love to drive my car, and round proper roads and not just motorways and I'm scared that I'll spend a lot of money and be disappointed with the driveability of the car, and the lag. I know it's going to be laggier than the sequential tubbys but don't know what it'll feel like.

I suppose the answer is I need a ride in a single 6 speed with something around the size of a T61 running around 500bhp..

If its any help, a T61/PHR stage 1 single is massively quicker and more drivable that a BPU (on the 6spd). Power delivery is smoother and more predictable than BPU, though if running 1.2bar on the single it will spin the tyres much easier. There's a dyno chart somewhere round here of Terry's T61 vs my BPU motor where the power and spool difference is clearly shown.

You need to be a proficient driver to handle one IMO, so not the best for anyone who hasn't had a few years high powered rwd experience.

Here's the chart. Blue lines are Terrys T61, Green & red lines are my car running a healthy 1.25 bar on the edge on lean on 440cc's and rasied fuel pressure (I.e. as far as you can take a jspec without ECU and injector upgrade).

Same rolling road, similar temps & pressures, both 6spds, etc...

T61 vs BPU.jpg

Even though i only got the chance to drive my single turbo aristo once before the engine went i have to say it was a killer on the motorway, much better power delivery than on the stock tubbies, it just kept pulling. You can really notice the difference from a BPU car.