The mkiv Supra Owners Club

8-pot brake kit on ebay

jase_93tt

D2 also states on their website

When the components of the kit are worn, such the brake disc or brake pads, AP parts can be fitted onto our brake kit.

Also, the brake pad and the following well-known brands AP, FERODO, MINTEX, EBC, PAGID, CARBON METALLIC and HAWK can fitted onto our kit.

That's excellent then, so many makers of brake kits use their own unique backing plate design, so you are tied to their own, often poor, pad material, or you have to have pads water jetted from a larger pad in a compound that you really want. Likewise with discs, they often use their own mounting bell bolt PCD or spacing, again tying you to their own discs, or having to spend a fortune altering another makers to fit, if that's even possible.

I apologise if I am opinionated on some (many) car related matters, it's just the way I am, and at my age I am unlkely to repent too much, although in my defence I DO get quite a lot of people saying they wished they had listened to me in the first place :)

Anyway, have a great New Years day, which, in my opinion, is very over rated ;)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yea ive done a few high speed stops now, had 1200 miles of me taking it very easy whilst i was running the engine in so brakes had plenty time to bed in.

Im not saying for everyone to run out and buy them just yet... give me a couple more months of testing and ill report back but from what ive seen so far im impressed

I for one am very interested in how you get on Jamie, I might like to get some of these myself later in the year, funds permitting.

Did you go for the larger of the two sizes?

and all this about they must be rubbish because they havn't been used in real racing. On the D2 website isn't the first link on the menu information about the successful d2 racing team...

Personally I'd think that if they are better than Uk's then they are very good value for money. I don't really loose much sleep over caliper rigidity since compared to the disks they are virtually indistructable no doubt.

Do you know if they needed more or less wheel clearance than the uk spec calipers? Interested because I don't have masses of clearance with my current wheels.

I don't really loose much sleep over caliper rigidity since compared to the disks they are virtually indistructable no doubt.

I don't think you understand the issue of caliper rigidity. It is essential for brake feel, pad wear and braking efficiency. Pretty important stuff.

Most big brake kits (even those of dubious quality) will *feel* better on the road due to brake torque increases from the larger rotors. So less pedal movement for the same retardation. But that has little t do with the ultimate ability of the brakes.

Having said all that, these brakes could still be good. Time and testing will tell. A few easy tests with one of the new Gtechs or an AP22 would clear it all up. (Jamie, if you want, we can meet in a couple of months and get some comparitive data?)

I don't think you understand the issue of caliper rigidity. It is essential for brake feel, pad wear and braking efficiency. Pretty important stuff.

Most big brake kits (even those of dubious quality) will *feel* better on the road due to brake torque increases from the larger rotors. So less pedal movement for the same retardation. But that has little t do with the ultimate ability of the brakes.

Having said all that, these brakes could still be good. Time and testing will tell. A few easy tests with one of the new Gtechs or an AP22 would clear it all up. (Jamie, if you want, we can meet in a couple of months and get some comparitive data?)

I believe I do understand. it is more that any doubts on caliper rigidity is purely (and highly) speculative at this stage and by far the biggest problem with cheapo brake kits are with poor quality disks. Especially if these are basically AP copies... and parts are interchangable - if they follow the same basic design then it's hard to see that any minor differences could be so drastic as to turn a really good design to complete rubbish

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.

Im not sure what to do about these now as i can still overheat them, yesterday when mapping and braking hard for the roundabouts in MK they overheated.

Im still running j-spec rears which i know will not be helping.

I dont know if i should stick with the D2,s and fit there rear kit hoping that sorts it or bite the bullet and get a full front a rear brembo kit.

Its money i could do without spending at the min but i have to have good bakes.

Dont get me wrong these are still miles better than the uk's but maybe im expecting to much... i dunno:search:

I had the front and rear Brembo kit on my Supra for a couple of years. Unfortunately I didn't get around to doing a track day, but for fast road use they were great, never had fade. Did a lot of autobahn driving in Europe too, with hard braking from very high speed.

I have no experience of the D2.

I had the front and rear Brembo kit on my Supra for a couple of years. Unfortunately I didn't get around to doing a track day, but for fast road use they were great, never had fade. Did a lot of autobahn driving in Europe too, with hard braking from very high speed.

I have no experience of the D2.

Yea there is no arguing the brembo kit will be the bollox but they have a hefty price tag to go with them:)