The mkiv Supra Owners Club

will 95 octane petrol really do damage to my j-spec engine???

supra-lover

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been forced to use 95RON in my stock TT several times. I've always driven it fairly gently until I can fill up with Optimax / Ultimate / etc. but I've never had a single problem. Wouldn't the lower octane simply mean a stronger chance of detonation when the engine is being thrashed?

Wouldn't the lower octane simply mean a stronger chance of detonation when the engine is being thrashed?

Thats what I was thinking. TDI once told me that the soop is in quite a lazy state of tune out of the factory, an that unlike the jap spec scoobie's an evo's, which see quite a big gain, the soop doesn't gain much, an doesn't need re mapping for our fuel, (97-98 ron). I'll still take it easy if I ever get stuck an have to use the 95 ron stuff. Makes you wonder though, is the higher ron fuel more expensive to make ?, or do they know that us performance car drivers will buy it, an so whack a bit more money onto the forecourt prices ?.

Makes you wonder though, is the higher ron fuel more expensive to make ?, or do they know that us performance car drivers will buy it, an so whack a bit more money onto the forecourt prices ?.

Of course they whack the price up. It's Pointy Nose Syndrome. People who drive cars with pointy noses can afford to pay extra for everything.

I always found using 95 was a false economy in my N/A as I saw a higher mpg with Super unleaded!

:yeahthat:

In my N/A I find that for 4-5% cost increase, I get 10-15% further mileage wise. Car also seems to pull a lot better, so it's cheaper and faster.

When I 1st joined I asked this question. Do a search for "octane", there should be a couple of other threads on here on the topic.

Can the ECU on any Supra model determine the octane rating of the petrol being chucked in?

I know modern performance cars such as the Golf GTI can and it thus advances the ignition timing for more power and torque for higher octane stuff.

Also petrol like Ultimate and Optimax are more expensive because they contain additives and other lovely chemicals that normal petrol doesn't have.

Yes, because quoted octane ratings in the US are RON+MON/2, so 95 octane would be a super high quality fuel. Options there are usually 87 / 89 / 91, with some places selling 93. I think fuels here are typically around 85 MON (which in many ways is a more important factor than a fuels RON), so Tescos 99 RON would be 92 octane in the US, super unleaded would be 91.

Personally I've always ran my NA on Optimax.

:looney:

I will be getting my j-spec TT very soon off Jurgen very soon. The thing is where i live there is a lack of Shell/BP/ garages that sell Optimax etc. Iv just got Morrisons and Tesco that sell the super unleaded or 95ron, will these be ok to use then? And then fill up with opitmax when i get the chance?

sincei got my Supra TT in Oct 2005, i so far have nearly always used Esso 97 ron super-unleaded, as i can't get anything else here, unless i want to brave the back of Hastings.

nearest place for me, is on the A21 for the good stuff, and a decent place to fill-up.

I Think you may have a point.

I was always told to use 99 ron on my N/A '93, but I think I will try, my-be half a tank on the regular stuff and see. The car its self only has an induction kit and exhaust and is not heavily modded.

So I think, with all the positive feedback on 95ron fuel I will give it a go.