The mkiv Supra Owners Club

will 95 octane petrol really do damage to my j-spec engine???

supra-lover

:yeahthat:

In my N/A I find that for 4-5% cost increase, I get 10-15% further mileage wise. Car also seems to pull a lot better, so it's cheaper and faster.

When I 1st joined I asked this question. Do a search for "octane", there should be a couple of other threads on here on the topic.

i was going to say something along those lines :D

I get much better mpg out of my fto running on optimax than standard 95ron

and yes my car also seems to pull a lot better too [no comments about its an FTO please. :p]

with the current price of petrol whats the difference if you're paying 96pence a litre compared to £1 anyway? its a few quid at most.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get much better mpg out of my fto running on optimax than standard 95ron

and yes my car also seems to pull a lot better too [no comments about its an FTO please. :p]

I found the opposite! the FTO used more juice on the higher octane stuff than on 95 i found but then it might have been more right foot... It did love Jet 95 octane though, not sure why.

Anyway the FTO could sense the quality of the petrol (apparently) and adjust the engine to suit. Does the Supra do the same?

To be honest i never felt there was much difference whatever you used and MCN did a test on stock motorbike with 95 RON v Optimax and got a 0.5bhp increase but only at the redline. Unless you are going racing it probably isn't worth it (not on an NA at least)

m.

Despite all beliefs both tt and n/a are designed to run on 95 octane minimum, as stated in the original owners manual, all cars will run better on higher octane fuel as a rule as it gives performance boost and is cleaner, i have heard people say tt's run rougher on 95 which may be true, however when they were introduced in Japan 1993 i do not believe 100 ron was commonplace or if it existed at all

To be fair there is a turbo'd fto, but I wouldn't know what numbers they are pulling on the 1/4 mile. Likewise with NOS. Although I think they get into the 15s.

Still slower than Supras, even NAs, regardless. But pretty though. :)

the bloke at work SAYS his is a twin turbo I'm sure they didn't make them???? i no nout about fto's :ke