The mkiv Supra Owners Club

will 95 octane petrol really do damage to my j-spec engine???

supra-lover

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I don’t believe that Optimax has special cleaning agents and additives to clean your engine. Marketing hype to justify a higher price IMO. If someone drained your tank overnight and replaced it with Sainsbury’s super unleaded I doubt anyone would even notice the difference. Placebo effect I think.

If someone drained your tank overnight and replaced it with Sainsbury’s super unleaded I doubt anyone would even notice the difference. Placebo effect I think.

Nope, mate borrowed me car a fortnight back and when I got it back it felt slightly off. Asked him if he'd filled it up at Shell like he was told but he said he'd forgotten. There is a slight difference, tho the wallet is the place it's most noticable.

i had this chat with a bloke at our local esso garage weeks ago,

depending on my mood i was putting sometimes optimax,others normal unleaded- in my tank,

he swore blind he was getting more MPG on optimax and more power too.

i tried this ,...

i tried almost a full tank of standard unleaded,.

i took lots of notice on mpg and performance.

10 days later , i put almost a full tank of Otimax in.,

took great notice of mpg and performance.,

basically the outcome was,.

i noticed a teeeny weeny bit more performance with optimax - but mpg was almost identical.

i had this chat with a bloke at our local esso garage weeks ago,

depending on my mood i was putting sometimes optimax,others normal unleaded- in my tank,

he swore blind he was getting more MPG on optimax and more power too.

i tried this ,...

i tried almost a full tank of standard unleaded,.

i took lots of notice on mpg and performance.

10 days later , i put almost a full tank of Otimax in.,

took great notice of mpg and performance.,

basically the outcome was,.

i noticed a teeeny weeny bit more performance with optimax - but mpg was almost identical.

it's all a CON

From the way i understand it, the higher octane fuel will give a better/stronger "explosion" and so less of the fuel is required to get the same power, and hence a better mpg is achieved.

This, of course, assumes that you are not driving your car like a nutter - as you'll just be putting more fuel in and not noticing the gained power.

Put it this way - I have a remap on my car, giving my car around an extra 50bhp, as proven on an RR. Now, this would essentially decrease my mpg, because i'm getting more power out of the car.

However - look at it like this - when i'm on the motorway, its taking less effort to get to 70mph, and then less effort to keep it at that speed, and so i actually get a BETTER mpg from a remap than i do a std car. So I could look at it like the remap is essentially paying for itself (albeit over a LONG period of time)

This is the case with the Leon anyway - for definate. Lots of owners agree. I'd assume all cars are the same in this respect...

I get 340 out of a tank of standard unleaded

430+ out of a tank of optimax!

You must drive like a girl! :D Oh wait......

I've had better MPG with Optimax than normal unleaded on my UK spec when it was TT'd stock. I always find BP SUL is very variable

i use tesco 99 all the time in my n/a for the first six months of ownership i used normal u/l theres only two pence a litre difference. how much you gonna save by using normal u/l .not enough to buy a pack of smokes .mine seems to like 99 i get slightly better mileage and im sticking with it.:sly:

i use tesco 99 all the time in my n/a for the first six months of ownership i used normal u/l theres only two pence a litre difference. how much you gonna save by using normal u/l .not enough to buy a pack of smokes .mine seems to like 99 i get slightly better mileage and im sticking with it.:sly:

why line the pockets of the nobs who run this country????:)

the bloke at work SAYS his is a twin turbo I'm sure they didn't make them???? i no nout about fto's :ke

For reference there are three very fast FTOs in the owners club. The only Twin Turbo i know of is owned by a guy called Richard Batty and is actually a Galant/Legnum engine in a FTO body. Also has NOS and he is going for the title of fastest front wheel drive car. He's yorkshire based though.

There is a white FTO turbo in Bradford with a claimed 340bhp but not seen a time for it on the strip - hellish pipework under the bonnet though. When i last saw it the car was over fuelling like mad.

The last one is 'little red' owned by a guy in scotland. Also a turbo, a tiptronic and a regular FTO engine. 1/4 mile low 13's

I ran my standard GPX at York for the national day (induction kit, decat, ss exhaust and got a high 15 but mine was a tiptronic and the manuals are quicker.

Thing with the FTO is it revs to 8250rpm so while low end and launching is poor it takes off from midway when the second cam comes in at 5500 just as the 6500 redline Supra NA is starting to look for a gearchange. Top end though no contest, Supra torque just monsters eveything.

m.

RUSSISH ALL IN YOUR HEAD:p

Na, don't think so,

you'll find it's all in the engineering. Simple fact Optimax IS a higher ron/octain than the pish you probably put in your car. For a N/A, yeah lower grade fuel's are ok'ish, though I'd still try and use a higher octain premium fuel. Tubby no way, Sainsbury's/Asda, or whatever you use is far to course a fuel and in time you'll roast a piston. But hey do what you want it's your car and your money.

Na, don't think so,

you'll find it's all in the engineering. Simple fact Optimax IS a higher ron/octain than the pish you probably put in your car. For a N/A, yeah lower grade fuel's are ok'ish, though I'd still try and use a higher octain premium fuel. Tubby no way, Sainsbury's/Asda, or whatever you use is far to course a fuel and in time you'll roast a piston. But hey do what you want it's your car and your money.

yep i'll just buy a new engine :)