The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Porsche 911 or Supra???

SarahJon

Both are nice cars, in their own way.

Personally I've never really had a longing for a Porsche but I can appreciate the car for what it is and can fully understand why others buy them.

911s are very capable cars, but to me, there are just too many of them about for them to be special.

Unfortunately the Supra seems to be going the same way, but at least I haven't had to pay £50k plus for the privilege ;)

At this moment in time, if I had to change my Supra for another car, I really don't know what I'd get (apart from another Supra :D) There are very few cars around at the moment that I feel could replace the Supra in every way.

I'm sure if I won the lottery I'd find something, but thinking, lets say, under £25k there's nothing that springs to mind as a "must have" :)

Er, do you actually know what you are talking about? There is a reason why more 911's are used on GT races by privateers than any other car. I've been on five top speed days, Porsche have been fastest on four of those (might be a clean sweep, but I'm hazy on one event) and the only time one had to go home on a trailer was when a GT2 got a puncture. Also, didn't a 15 year old Ruf beat Paul Whiffin at TOTB? Btw, what's the fastest verified Supra top speed for a road legal Supra?

242MPH isn't it in usa?, each to their own i just do not like porsches, have been to a lot of the gt races and they do not impress me, and like clarkson says each time they bring a new 911 out it looks the same as the old one.The only supercar i would have is a Ferrari(any of the newer ones) murcielago? or a koeniggsegg and even the lambo has been hammered by a supra on here i think

GT3 porsche will be faster round corners than a Supra, the last time I drove a GT3 I was very impressed with the handling.

You can't really go down the route of comparing modified cars against other modified cars, because it always comes down to who has chucked more money into the project.

Any car can be made to go faster than another one simply by spending more money on it.

It was stated that the fastest Supra is 242mph... but I'm guessing that if you spent £100,000's on a Porsche it would do a similar speed also.

You have to compare stock for stock IMO.

The upside for the Supra is that you can spend a lot less money to get a car that is very quick, and a car that will be quicker in a straight line than a Porsche. Parts for Porsches are naturally more expensive and to mod a porsche will be a different league in terms of cost.

My choice would be the light weight Porsche options such as the GT3. They are very well balanced cars (even though the engine is in the back) and they have good traction off the line. But its the corner speed, braking and how easily you can put the power down that impressed me most when I drove one last.

I am changing soon to a 996, C2 or C4 (bnot overly fussed) but with GT3 kit.

And maybe in yellow! :blink:

The supes awesome, def quicker in a straight line. But take a 911 for a drive, u'll see what the big deal is.

Its not all about straight line acceleration I'm afraid.

Though I am sorely tempted to keep both!

242MPH isn't it in usa?, each to their own i just do not like porsches, have been to a lot of the gt races and they do not impress me, and like clarkson says each time they bring a new 911 out it looks the same as the old one.The only supercar i would have is a Ferrari(any of the newer ones) murcielago? or a koeniggsegg and even the lambo has been hammered by a supra on here i think

A modified Supra with a rillion horsepower will beat any stock Porsche in a straight line so what? What if we start talking about modified 911's from techart, 9ff, Ruf...

Btw, fastest Supra is Jun, 247mph at a salt lake, with steel disc wheels, the car was so driveable it had to be towed to 80mph before it got going under it's own power. 9ff did 248mph on a closed circuit (think of the tyre scrub!) and now aiming for 252mph, oh and you can buy those parts from them and have them fitted to your 996 if you wish, and still drive it to Tesco's- could you do that in the Jun?

There are absolutely loads of 911's here, my Supra is far more exclusive as you see very few on the road.

The only way I would own a 911 would be if it was a top of the range GT or Turbo version with a LOT of money in it to make it a bit 'special'.

9FF does look lovely as well, have they released the pics of the updated back end without the spoiler yet?

Apparently so, but I haven't seen it yet and I've been told it's not on their website either. Does look like that gorgeous 996GT1 though- shame that isn't raod legal here though :(

Same old story all over again. There is only one good judge of a car as a road drivind is concerned, The Nurbergring, and speaking from experience I can assure you that a tastefully tuned supra still looking pretty std can out run GT2 and GT3 on the ring. I know I have done it. While 911's were hopping out of corners I was driving around them with ease. My car geometry was set up by Marc Ludemann ex porsche race engineer, who considers the Supra a better bet every time.

Its easy to tell who the posers and magazine readers are, reading too much hyped up bull on 911's, which are too low and too hard for Uk roads.

And yes I have driven the 911 GT3, extensively as my mate Keiran has one, and has the 997T on order, so maybe it can change my mind. 911 is hard work to drive fast, Supra does it with ease. IF I won the lottery, it would still be a Supra, and the ring is what made my mind up.

I'd have the porsche 911 if it was a turbo or racier version

I've never driven one but I believe there fantastic handling sports cars and although I'm new to supra ownership I wouldn't describe it as a superb handling car more of a sports tourer with bags of power.

Looks of Supra probably better due to exclusivety but I do like the 993 Porsche very good shape and if I had cash I would like one. New 911's in my opinion look to fat and refined though