The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blitz twin turbo installation

TLicense

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really impressed with the photography and focusing. This is really interesting stuff. Thanks for doing it!

Cheers Pete, it's all done with a Canon EOS300D with a 28-90mm Ultrasonic lens, pretty much just using the standard picture mode. A couple of time it's struggled to focus, so I've just done it manually. Sometime's using an slr makes it difficult to get into tight places, and I'm always worried about scratching the lens.

All the photo's I've got at about twice the resolution of the ones I'm posting, but I think the size I'm posting is about as large as most people would want to see in a thread. If anyone wanted the larger pics for any reason, then feel free to pm me.

Got quite a bit done today.

Before removing the turbo , you need to undo both of these hoses. Again after 13 years of living in 1 piece it wasn't keen on being seperated, and was a real pain to try and seperate.

Once both of those hoses are undone, you can remove the turbo outlet elbow (the bit that holds the turbo's on!) On a J-spec there's 6 bolts (3 on each turbo) but on a UK spec there's 4. They were very difficult to undo, and there's not enough space between the end of the studs and the exhaust manifold to get a socket on them so you have to use a spanner. I suggest using a decent ring spanner so you don't round the nuts off. That would be a real pain! Here's some pics of the 3 bolts on each turbo (There's 2 on the top and 1 on the bottom on no.1 turbo and vice versa on no. 2):-

1 on the bottom of no.1 turbo:-

2 on the top of no.1 turbo:-

1 on the top of no.2 turbo:-

2 on the bottom on no.2 turbo:-

With these undone, with a good deal of wriggling you should be able to remove the turbo assembly. Be careful they're quite heavy, and you don't want to scratch all the paint off the engine bay. I lined mine with towel to help protect it. Here's how it all looked once I'd got them off:-

To remove the exhaust manifold there are 12 nuts on the studs. Now you really don't want to shear one of these studs, so absolutely soak these in WD40 for a good couple of hours. I left mine whilst I watched the football :D. Once they're undone the manifold should come off fairly easily:-

That's step no.1 pretty much done. Turbo's have been removed!

OK I got a bit excitable at this point and wanted to see what the Blitz kit would look like fitted. Bearing in mind I haven't got any of the gaskets, I put some tape on the mating faces and quickly threw it on. I'll need to put the gaskets on for the next step so it'll be coming off, but here's how it's going to look pretty much:-

One of the best write-ups I've seen Tony, stuff like this is wonderful. Thanks for taking the time to tell the story :thumbs:

hubba hubba wht sort of bhp are you planning to pull with these, nd i take it very little lag then as there are still sequential :p gonna be a beast !!

Supraaa, AFAIK big twins can only run silmutaneously. You'll need some clever jiggery i.e. the vac system to make it run sequentially. I don't think there's an aftermarket ECU that can handle the job in the absence of the stock hose-happy system. *awaits correction*

• 2 weeks later...

Did a lot more work today.

I wanted to clear up all the odds and sods that I won't be using, mainly the vsv pressure tank and the fuel pulsation dampener.

Although it's possible to remove these without removing the intake manifold, as I'm changing the injectors and fuel rail, I figured I may as well strip the intake side off, and get to these two items from above. If anyone wants to simply replace the injectors most of this will be applicable. Here's how to....

First of all remove the air hose from the throttle body:-

Next remove the following connectors from the throttle body:-

The throttle position connector:-

The sub-throttle position sensor connector:-

and the sub throttle acuator connector:-

Then remove the 4 fasteners that hold throttle body to the intake chamber. There's 2 bolts at the top:-

and 2 nuts at the bottom, which to get to you'll need an extension bar on your 12mm socket:-

With those undone, you can pull the throttle body away from the intake chamber. Remove the gasket:-

There's a few hoses that you need to remove from the throttle body before you can completely remove it.

The EVAP hose:-

The Water bypass hose from the no.4 water bypass pipe :shrug: You can see it here attached to the bottom of the throttle body, there's another water by-pass hose just behind it as well:-

Lastly you need to remove the power steering air hose:-

With those undone you can remove the throttle body:-

Here's what the intake chamber looks like with the throttle body removed:-

Next remove the dipstick and dipstick guide. If you've got an auto, you'll also need to remove the auto transmission oil dipstick and guide. I have a 6 speed so didn't need to do this. To remove the dispstick guide there's 1 bolt:-

Remove the fuel line from the clamp that is part of the dipstick guide, and then pull the dipstick guide upwards. It will pull away from the oil pan:-

Next remove the air intake chamber stay, and the throttle cable bracket, there's 1 bolt and 1 nut on the chamber stay, and two bolts on the throttle cable bracket:-