The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blitz twin turbo installation

TLicense

The housings shouldn't be too much of a problem. KKK are a big manufacturer (Porsche and I think VAG OEM) so it's just a case of finding the correct part no.

It's whenever the PW's go below about 0.85msecs that it starts to struggle. That may be down to the mapping, the ECU, or the injectors. The injectors are 872cc.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez Tony. I've watched your work with great interest and really admired the attention to detail you've been putting in. To see you have the above problems now is really disheartening and just goes to show even with as much care and planning as you have put in, it's still a tremendously tricky thing to do.

I hope you can get it all resolved and painlessly as possible.

It's whenever the PW's go below about 0.85msecs that it starts to struggle. That may be down to the mapping, the ECU, or the injectors. The injectors are 872cc.

Tony, can you drop the fuel pressure & then increase the PWs to compensate? May give you a little more margin at idle.

It's not that much of a problem. The guy who mapped it thinks it just needs a bit more mapping to get the final tweeks.

I've actually tried increasing fuel pressure as this tends to give you better spray atomisation. I'm going to try reducing it tomorrow and see if that helps....

As I said, it's not that much of a bother, just a bit of a frustration as it should be prefect. 99% is easy... that last 1% is a nightmare!

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

OK,

Have ordered a pair of correct sized turbine housings. They should be here hopefully within a week. Hopefully I'll be able to create some kind of useful boost then.

I fitted a pair of HKS 264 camshafts (pics to follow) and to be fair, it does pull a lot better up top. There's no drop off after 6K, and the car hasn't been mapped to take advantage of them yet. (Running VERY rich, and I would say conservative timing).

I'm arranging to get the car mapped (again) for a week on Monday, which will give me a chance to fit the housings.

So hopefully pretty soon, I should be able to realise some of this potential.....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest OneJoeZee

Hi.

I'm from the US. I was browsing around google looking for information on the Blitz Twin turbo kit and I came across this.

I have a JZA70 Supra with the Blitz Twin turbo kit(for the JZA70 obviously;))

This thread has been really informative to me. I haven't been able to find many Supras (A80 or A70) with the Blitz TT kit.

I'll keep an eye on your progress and keep you posted how the kit does on my JZA70 if you're interested.

Here's an early picture of my setup. Excuse the dirty car. I washed it after the install. :)

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5043/pict0550wc3.jpg

The kit has since been removed because the turbos needed to be rebuilt. I am expecting them back tomorrow. When I do, I'll be sending out the turbine housings with the manifolds, downpipes, and a few other parts for ceramic coating. Also, I'm redoing my oil feed lines. When I get all the parts back I'll have the turbo kit reinstalled.

Great thread. Keep it going.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Joe,

Sorry I didn't see your post. How are you getting on?

I've had quite a breakthrough over the last week or so.

Ryan G contacted me beginning of last week to say he had an idea or two about how to solve my misfire issues.

After looking at a couple of things, he suggested that we check the base timing on the ECU. This is the very first thing that you have to do when fitting any kind of aftermarket ECU. Unfortunately mine was waaaay off. When I set it to read 10 degrees, it was actually reading more like 25 degrees. :blink:

So we re-set this so it was reading 10 bang-on, and changed the plugs. Hey-presto, she starts to clear up a treat. We then went through and leaned out whole chunks of the map, and with the aid of some decent det-cans, set the ignition timing.

The net result is that the car is running better than ever, and is even spooling earlier and boosting higher than before. I'm now getting 10psi, and it's fair to say it pulls bloody hard. :)

I can't wait to get these smaller, correct sized turbine housings and then get the boost up to 1.2-1.4 bar. :eyebrows:

Just want to say many thanks for Ryan, I really would have continued to struggle without his help. Cheers mate!

This has been quite a read and the detailed work put forth is simply amazing - Congratulations on getting closer to having the car run like you wanted to.

I'm amazed by how nice the twin turbo setup is power wise, but for a kit of that price, it's mind boggling that they don't provide more of a bolt-on kit.

Probably why there was only so few made ;)

Guest OneJoeZee
Hey Joe,

Sorry I didn't see your post. How are you getting on?

I've had quite a breakthrough over the last week or so.

Ryan G contacted me beginning of last week to say he had an idea or two about how to solve my misfire issues.

After looking at a couple of things, he suggested that we check the base timing on the ECU. This is the very first thing that you have to do when fitting any kind of aftermarket ECU. Unfortunately mine was waaaay off. When I set it to read 10 degrees, it was actually reading more like 25 degrees. :blink:

So we re-set this so it was reading 10 bang-on, and changed the plugs. Hey-presto, she starts to clear up a treat. We then went through and leaned out whole chunks of the map, and with the aid of some decent det-cans, set the ignition timing.

The net result is that the car is running better than ever, and is even spooling earlier and boosting higher than before. I'm now getting 10psi, and it's fair to say it pulls bloody hard. :)

I can't wait to get these smaller, correct sized turbine housings and then get the boost up to 1.2-1.4 bar. :eyebrows:

Just want to say many thanks for Ryan, I really would have continued to struggle without his help. Cheers mate!

I re-installed my blitz kit and have been driving it for the past 3 days.

Full spool is around 4200RPM for 10psi. Hopefully soon, I'll get around to putting in the fuel mods so I can turn it up around 1-1.2BAR of boost. Even at 10psi, it feels really good.

Let me know how your car spools with your 2JZ when you get the correct turbine housings.

My current setup looks a little nicer than the pic I posted up there. I had my turbine housings, manifolds, and downpipes ceramic coated in black. Also replaced old couplers and just did some general clean up.

It looks like this now

I re-installed my blitz kit and have been driving it for the past 3 days.

Full spool is around 4200RPM for 10psi. Hopefully soon, I'll get around to putting in the fuel mods so I can turn it up around 1-1.2BAR of boost. Even at 10psi, it feels really good.

Let me know how your car spools with your 2JZ when you get the correct turbine housings.

My current setup looks a little nicer than the pic I posted up there. I had my turbine housings, manifolds, and downpipes ceramic coated in black. Also replaced old couplers and just did some general clean up.

Nice! Interesting how different people route the pipework in different ways. I've seen 3 or 4 now, and they've all been different.

If I can make 10psi at 4200rpm, I would be well happy! :)

Just to keep this thread updated....

I went to Surrey Rolling Road yesterday and managed to get figures of 414.9BHP fly / 346.9bhp wheels:-

The differences from previously are a set of HKS 264 inlet/ex cams, and it being re-mapped.

The other news is that the smaller turbine housings turned up today. So all I need now is to get a free weekend, sling them on, and then start looking to make some real boost. :)

Guest OneJoeZee
Nice! Interesting how different people route the pipework in different ways. I've seen 3 or 4 now, and they've all been different.

If I can make 10psi at 4200rpm, I would be well happy! :)

With the correct turbines, I think 4200 or less should be very possible given your .5L displacement extra.

• 2 weeks later...

Just been on a massive mission to change these turbine housings.

I stripped the turbo's and wastegates off on Saturday, and yesterday morning, and re-fitted them today.

I changed all the gaskets, oil fittings nuts and bolts. The whole lot.

Anyway, the difference between the 2 housings is a diameter reduction of 8mm on the "area" component of the A/R.

So I fitted the turbine housings, and was just finishing nailing it all together when Ryan arrived to map it.

Unfortunately the oil feed and oil return fittings on the rear turbine started leaking. The feed was an easy fix, but the return flange is going to be a difficult job. However it's not particularly bad, so we decided to go out for a quick test drive to make sure that the AFR's were good and there wasn't any det.

I'd also managed to somehow loose the fittings for connecting up the wastegate hoses. After hunting high and low, and unsuccessully trying to purchase some replacements from the local hose centre, we decided to run on the wastegate springs. I've adjusted the pre-load nut, so it is all the way out.

The net result is that I can now make some sensible boost!

We managed to make 13.5 psi of boost, although it was still quite laggy, only making it at about 5500rpm. However some of this laggyness is more than likely due to the wastegate springs gently opening as the boost comes on.

So the next step is to sort out the oil leak, and then get the right fittings to plumb up the boost controller. We'll then ramp up the boost.

Nearly - so very nearly!

Guest OneJoeZee

Hmm.. I'm making 1bar around 4800.

Going to put mine on the dyno next week to get a baseline.

I have 10psi springs in my wastegates. This is what you have in your's as well, correct?