The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blitz twin turbo installation

TLicense

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just got back from dropping off the pipework at Zircotec (details:- http://www.zircotec.com/ceramics.html)

First of all, I was a million miles out on my costing. It came in just under £850!! Whilst I was there, they were taking orders for Honda F1, Koenigsegg, Ferrari, and I know they do all the ceramic coating for Spyker (both cars and F1).

One interesting thing they did mention when I said my intention was to wrap it afterwards, was not to soak the wrap first. They said that this is a major cause of the manifolds cracking. They recon that the wrap absorbs and retains some moisture. When the exhaust get's hot this moisture is held against it, causing it to fatigue. :shrug:

I've just got back from dropping off the pipework at Zircotec (details:- http://www.zircotec.com/ceramics.html)

First of all, I was a million miles out on my costing. It came in just under £850!! Whilst I was there, they were taking orders for Honda F1, Koenigsegg, Ferrari, and I know they do all the ceramic coating for Spyker (both cars and F1).

One interesting thing they did mention when I said my intention was to wrap it afterwards, was not to soak the wrap first. They said that this is a major cause of the manifolds cracking. They recon that the wrap absorbs and retains some moisture. When the exhaust get's hot this moisture is held against it, causing it to fatigue. :shrug:

Blimey that's good to know. As I know someone recommended it on here because it went on better if wet...

Looks good, is the the rear turbo unable to clock round more to get the oil return nearer to the vertical?

Blimey that's good to know. As I know someone recommended it on here because it went on better if wet...

Looks good, is the the rear turbo unable to clock round more to get the oil return nearer to the vertical?

Yeah I was quite suprised by it too.

Yes, I've got it so that the oil feed is now vertical. It was just positioned like that by the fabricator as it was easier to fit. :rolleyes:

Has it been fired up yet Tony?? Make sure you get a vid of the initial start up ;)

Nah not yet. There's a great long list of things to do still:-

1. Finish fuel pump relay wiring

2. Wire relays to ECU

3. Fit jubilee clip to breather hose in boot.

4. Make and fit fuel hose brackets

5. Fit fuel hose covers

6. Fit wire loom earth on engine bay passenger side bulkhead

7. Test fuel pumps!

8. Test fuel lines for pressure.

9. Fit resistor pack.

10. Fit exhaust wrap to downpipes and balance bar

11. Fit high temp reflective sheet to bulkhead

12. Fit exhaust wrap around brake lines near no.2 turbo downpipe.

13. Build hose and connectors (using Startlight hose) for breather to filter – turbo hose.

14. Fit exhaust manifold, wastegate pipe work, downpipes and balance tube.

15. Final fit turbo’s.

16. Fit turbo oil hoses.

17. Fit wastegate actuator hoses.

18. Buy vacuum hose for charcoal canister VSV and dump valve vac feed.

19. Fit jubilee clips to water hose blanking pipes.

20. Improve rear water pipe fitment (bracket?)

21. Check wiring for fuel sender

22. Check wiring for speedo / cruise control.

23. Fit handbrake lever.

24. Pick up undertray.

25. Fit undertray.

26. Oil IAC filter and Air filter

27. Change engine oil.

28. Change gearbox oil

29. Change coolant.

30. Prime turbo’s.

31. Fit new wheels

32. Get car mapped.

I managed to get the relays wired up today. Unfortunately though, I grabbed my camera as I was in a rush, but didn't grab the battery so sorry guys, no pics :(

Basically though, it was a case of removing the rear seat and getting the wiring through to the boot area, then using the exiting lead from the ECU as a control for my relays, and then hooking the leads I made up from the fuse box to the power side of both the relays.

I cut the stock ground wire for the pumps near the ground point and connected that up to the supply from one of the relays, and used the stock 12v supply for the pump as the supply from the other relay.

I also spliced the lead from the Fp pin on the diagnostic port to the control wire from the ECU, so I can run the pumps by connecting the Fp pin to a 12v source with the rest of the car turned off. Much like it would if it was all stock :)

Certainly getting close now....

Just curious Tony as to why you used 2 fuses and wire runs for the pumps rather than 1 bigger one? If you blow one fuse it will presumably take out one pump only whereas if you had a single fuse it would either work or not. Was it just the gauge of wire you would need?

To be honest it hadn't crossed my mind. I needed two feeds for the twin relays and it seemed fairly simple to just run twin lines with twin fuses.

But yes I wouldn't have been able to run a single line due to the gauge wire. Well not with the gauge wire that I had.

It won't really matter either way though, as I'll be fitting a piece of kit I've been working on that will let me know if one of the pumps stop working.

I picked up the pipework from Zircotec today. All looks pretty good some I'm happy with that.

Here's a couple of shots of the coating:-

And here's a couple of the inlet piping that I asked them to paint black. Personally I would say it's come out more of an anthracite:-

Tomorrow I'm going to hopefully do the final fit to the turbo's, the oil/wastegate actuator/breather lines, and fit the injector resistor pack. If I've got time I'm also going to fit the UK headlights I've got. ;)