The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much are turbo refurbs?

RedM

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hybrids you can do to save you the hassle of fitting singles and the associated back-up stuff and PROPER mapping required to make them work (and I am yet to be convince by any of the piggyback stuff) - even then they cause a load of probs elsewhere in the engine as it searches around for the weakest link to break!

Singles are nowt but problems unless done properly - and most people wont spend the required money to do these properly!

The stock rarely makes 380 HP mate - well only down the pub - and quite honestly why would you need more?

Lights blue touch paper and retires... ;)

i didnt realise singles were hassle!!! why is it that when a question is asked on the forum about predicted bhp for bpu the replies are nearly always between 370-400.....

realisticly paul what kind of power do hey kick out? the only real way is to get it dynod i suppose...

cheers mate

why is it that when a question is asked on the forum about predicted bhp for bpu the replies are nearly always between 370-400.....

realisticly paul what kind of power do hey kick out? the only real way is to get it dynod i suppose...

Depends where you have it dyno'd.

My BPU 93 RZ Auto made 350.5 rhhp at Thor and 300rwhp at Surrey Rolling Road.

Well that's a whole different kettle of fish mate

Only thing you can say - stick to the same dyno for your results before and after - and then you can make up whatever figures you like down the pub! :)

lol thats true, when i had my turbos changed a while back i was told i was kicking out 390-400 easy!!!

mmmmmmmmi dont think so now......

I don't go in for all this rolling road hocus pocus .. I prefer to use the method of measuring how much I (or a pasanger) goes "Gnnuuummffffffff" followed by "Fooo*****innn 'ell !" as No.2 too comes full on song :D.

Shaun.

I think they were £2300 approx last time - may be out on that one - plus fitting (fitting obviously same price for hybrids)

Is that for a set of Jspecs?

And was there found to be any difference between Post & Pre-face lift ones?

your dick bigger than my dick quotes :D :d i got 300rwhp at Thor being totaly standard apart from just a cat back exhaust & K&N panel filter & i feel the cars is probably quick enough for my fair hands/feet, although i dont like the spool time even with ceramics - i need to de-cat which is coming very soon :)

was there found to be any difference between Post & Pre-face lift ones?

i got 300rwhp at Thor

VVTi turbos are different to pre-VVTi ones. Some facelifts have the pre-VVTi engines and earlier turbos.

Did you get 300 rHhp (hub) at Thor?

VVTi turbos are different to pre-VVTi ones. Some facelifts have the pre-VVTi engines and earlier turbos.

Did you get 300 rHhp (hub) at Thor?

Sorry, meant VVTi not face lift.

I'll use the search button to find the differences rather than divert this thread.

Yup i got 299.3 at the hubs with 291.5 ft/lb torque

:D i have had just had brand new hybrids that are supposed to be good for up to 550bhp, did think about a single and may still go for one, i am aiming for 450bhp whith these hybrids and safc and controller, plus 550 injectors she is running at 1.1 at the moment but will be running at 1.3 when the injectors are fitted

:D i have had just had brand new hybrids that are supposed to be good for up to 550bhp, did think about a single and may still go for one, i am aiming for 450bhp whith these hybrids and safc and controller, plus 550 injectors she is running at 1.1 at the moment but will be running at 1.3 when the injectors are fitted

Just watch that boost mate...

Unless the wastegate has been modified (albeit only possible by 5/7mm on the circumference) then this will probably be an inhibiting factor - and all that extra boost will just turn to heat...

:D i have had just had brand new hybrids that are supposed to be good for up to 550bhp
550 bhp hybrids? That's like 50 bhp more than Terry S or Ian C could manage from them. I'd be impressed.

Who told you this 500bhp figure?

So what have we decided here? If my turbos commited hara kiri tommorow, (finds large piece of wood to touch) what would be the sound course to take?

This is bearing in mind, I like the performance the way it is so there is no need for big singles pushing massive HP

So what have we decided here? If my turbos commited hara kiri tommorow, (finds large piece of wood to touch) what would be the sound course to take?

your options as i see it are limited. I suspect the best way is hybrids at a safe 1.1-1.2bar ........the quick spooling ceramic characteristics might not be replicated though........

........i wonder how many oem ceramic turbos are sat on a parts warehouse somewhere? what happens to these parts? do they get sold off cheap eventually? can't say i've EVER heard of anyone ordering originals as replacements so there must be lots in storage? i wonder whats the best price Steve Manley etc could get them for?

The biggest regret I have is spending money replacing standard turbos with new standard turbos, at the time you think the power is enough and the potential is still there for a bit extra.... it doesn't take long to get used to that and want more.

Just use the J's until they spit themselves out of the exhaust and then bag yourself a bargain single, you still have BPU to do so that will keep you amused for a while, with the IT job on the way you'll have plenty of time to save up :)