The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What to Do?

Tom S

What Upgrade Next  

68 members have voted

1. 1. What Upgrade Next

• Nothing - Leave her as she is
    • Sell her and Buy a TT / Aristo / Whatever ??
    • SuperCharger !!
    • NA - T Single Turbo Conversion

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides arent Aristo's the height of gayness? :eyebrows:

possibly!

but you could sell the NA and have money left after buying an Aristo, so money in the bank and trouncing mates in their NA's! Compared to the supra it looks plain though so it depends what you are after................

I believe the supercharger won't fit on a RHD car or would require some custom mounting, moving of parts etc.

If I hadn't seen the RSP VVTi that I always wanted then I would have thought very seriously about a V8 conversion on my NA. Novelty value and lots of power too.

Guy's !!!!!

If you are really looking for something unusal then we are going to be putting a chevy 427ci and powerglide box into an NA come October.

This project is going to be just for a bit of fun and to see how well it will go.

The Chevy lump spec is: Steel crank, carilo ally rods, jax forged pistons, crane roller cams and rockers, edlebrook dominator manifold with 850 DP holly, Hooker headers, mallory dual point dizzy, MSD plus Holly race fuel system.

The powerglide box spec: Chevy 2 speed powerglide B&M manual valve body, B&M race bands, B&M 4500 stall convertor, B&M push through shifter and trans brake.

We were going to dump the chevy lump into a Nissian R33 but not cool.

Guy's !!!!!

If you are really looking for something unusal then we are going to be putting a chevy 427ci and powerglide box into an NA come October.

This project is going to be just for a bit of fun and to see how well it will go.

The Chevy lump spec is: Steel crank, carilo ally rods, jax forged pistons, crane roller cams and rockers, edlebrook dominator manifold with 850 DP holly, Hooker headers, mallory dual point dizzy, MSD plus Holly race fuel system.

The powerglide box spec: Chevy 2 speed powerglide B&M manual valve body, B&M race bands, B&M 4500 stall convertor, B&M push through shifter and trans brake.

We were going to dump the chevy lump into a Nissian R33 but not cool.

You been sniffing that brake cleaner again greg?

You been sniffing that brake cleaner again greg?

Not brake cleaner just good old fashioned imagination and the will to do something diffrent.

Have had the engine and box lying around for god knows how many years so might as well use it.

And Jezzy would you like to donate an old knackered NA for the project ( I will let you play with it):D

My Devils advocate bit.

If you only want 300-350BHP get a TT in stock form.

If you want 'large' bhp then going NA-T may be the way, but i think you need to seriously look at the other factors such as.........

Limited slip differential, does your car have one already?

Suspect your clutch won't last 5 minutes at 400bhp+

5 speed gearbox.........will be advisable to have one waiting in the wings for when it gives up the ghost. If this happens frequently then upgrading to 6 speed could be an option but a box is costly and you're likely to need others bits possibly prop (diff??)

Cooling? will the stock rad be adequate?

Brakes, even if staying j-spec will at least need uprated pads/fluid.

Racelogic TC?

still keen...then go for it, i'm sure it will be alot of fun

My Devils advocate bit.

If you want 'large' bhp then going NA-T may be the way, but i think you need to seriously look at the other factors such as.........

5 speed gearbox.........will be advisable to have one waiting in the wings for when it gives up the ghost. If this happens frequently then upgrading to 6 speed could be an option but a box is costly and you're likely to need others bits possibly prop (diff??)

Racelogic TC?

There's always one to spoil someone else's fun isn't there? :p

Be rude not to i guess! I'l start lookin. :D

That will be cool, would like it before the end of september :D also it must be blue (Sam say's so):p and all the cluster must work :D

Also sorry about hijacking your thread darkrider666 will have to put a few free extras on your car now.

:)

My Devils advocate bit.

Racelogic TC?

I have a contact in the US who is making very big power from NA-T's with stock internals and running gear.

I have a contact in the US who is making very big power from NA-T's with stock internals and running gear.

I didn't question the strength of the 'internals' or running gear, driveshafts prop diff.

But the stock clutch isn't seriously going to put up with 2-3 times the power/torque is it? The gone single TT manual boys seem to immediately upgrade their clutches so can't see that the NA will be better? And traction will be more than a small problem without a LSD and/or RLTC won't it? Toyota must have deemed the 5 speed box marginal strength wise for the standard TT (cause its smoother than the 6 Speed so the 6 speed must be there for its strength and gearing alone) so it must be more than marginal in a 450ish bhp car, no?

I'm not saying it can't/hasn't been done, i'm just saying that people should go into this with their eyes open and see additional costs that will make a powerful single managable to drive and as reliable as possible.