The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Me vs My Big Brother (Supra BPU Vs Porsche 996 Turbo)

Ulrik

Guest dee_rz

i'll be having a go at a 450bhp tuned turbo porker soon, i'll let you know how i get on 349whp here will let you know how i get on eta about 2-3weeks when i get my new clutch and flywheel on :) are race will about a 1/2 straight :cool:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If your brothers Porsche is the 2001 model then 996 is 4wd but on a 20/80 split on power. 20% at the front and 80% at the rear. An old friend of mine has a 996 Twin Turbo. It runs on 0.9 bar of boost but you can turn it up to 1.2 via the Porsche garage for little or no cost depends on your relationship and then you will be at around 500bhp.

A very quick car and can stop very quickly. Also they are a 3.6 litre. With all the engine weight over the rear axle.

Good luck with it fella and I hope you get your power levels in the Supra to beat the porker.

Nice Supra BTW ;)

If your brothers Porsche is the 2001 model then 996 is 4wd but on a 20/80 split on power. 20% at the front and 80% at the rear. An old friend of mine has a 996 Twin Turbo. It runs on 0.9 bar of boost but you can turn it up to 1.2 via the Porsche garage for little or no cost depends on your relationship and then you will be at around 500bhp.

A very quick car and can stop very quickly. Also they are a 3.6 litre. With all the engine weight over the rear axle.

Good luck with it fella and I hope you get your power levels in the Supra to beat the porker.

Nice Supra BTW ;)

Thanks mate :)

Hehe dont tell him about the "turning up the boost part" :tongue:

I bet its still a problem to beat him as it is...hehe

i'll be having a go at a 450bhp tuned turbo porker soon, i'll let you know how i get on 349whp here will let you know how i get on eta about 2-3weeks when i get my new clutch and flywheel on :) are race will about a 1/2 straight :cool:

Would be intrested in the outcome :)

Think you might have to have at least 500hp 2 get any where near him TBH!

Have a friend with a 550hp Poker GT2! Raced a few 600hp Supra's and left them quite easy rolling from 60!

had a run in with a 996 4x4 turbo in my old supra,I have it on video camera (old car 473 rwhp 451 lb/ft torque)

once we got to 100 leptons I pulled 3-4 car lengths on him by the time I was at serious speed,he was trying too as we know him,he is local.

473 at the wheels?? Wot is that at the crank??

dont know mate,the dyno figure is at the hubs as it was done at Thor.not sure how the rwhp and hub horsepower compare.from what I have heard 473 hub hp could be anywher from 500 crank hp -525hp roughly

Ok, sounds bout right! The Turbo's will always loose a bit more in higher speeds due 2 4wd! The GT2 (as im sure u all no) is Rwd and Twin turbo.....Awsome car....Has any one ever played with one of these!! Or better still would like a go?? Could sort it!

Oh and keep us posted on the outcome:D

Ok, sounds bout right! The Turbo's will always loose a bit more in higher speeds due 2 4wd! The GT2 (as im sure u all no) is Rwd and Twin turbo.....Awsome car....Has any one ever played with one of these!! Or better still would like a go?? Could sort it!

the GT2 is a beast and very tuneable as well,I if I had a choice of which porsche to own I think it would have to be one of those!:cool:

Yeah, I got utterly killed- they are savage. I linked to a thread with a datalog of a RUF R GT2 Nardo with 640bhp- search for it...

Mine is 250rwhp.

A stock GT2 has 320bhp/ton, plus loads of traction- so you need to have a better bhp/ton just to keep up. Ofcourse over 130mph weight means jack shit, although my mates Cerb which isn't that much more powerful than my car could kick my arse over 130mph.

Guest dee_rz
Wot hp is ur car Gazboy??

I was thinking of getting a supra soon around the 700hp mark!

Do u reckon that'll be enough to see off one??

o course it bloody will, 700bhp = 467 bhp per ton :devil: roughly

• 2 weeks later...
o course it bloody will, 700bhp = 467 bhp per ton :devil: roughly

Yer but from previous experiences....The way the power is delivered from the to is so different! GT2 is made for that power..It seems the supra has loads of power but at every gear change it falls back.....!

I have a Supercharged CTR atm.... I have 295hp, thats all!

I have raced a couple of 600hp supra (one of them Terry s from here)

While they are quicker jus not quite wot i thought double the hp should be...In every gear they pull a lil bit but as they change it seems like a drop in power and im still there! Ive raced the gt2 as well and that thing leaves twice as much as any of these cars!

I also raced a Black supra a while ago (any1 from here???? Cheshunt,Herts area) I sat behind him and he booted it, was nothing in it, and at 100 odd i slowly pulled past...afterwards he asked wot i had done because he had 395hp?????:rolleyes: Weird!!

Oh and Jamiep its empty now

Before we get to muddled hear!!

He did win but jus not as much as 1st thought!

My car is ok but its feeling slow nw need somink quicker...Plus fwd is driving me mad....My car was timed 0-60 5.7 (Traction problems) 0-100 in 11.0

5.3 60-100 is ok!!!

Okey, heres the deal.

My brother just traded his BMW X5 + $$$ for a Porsche 996 Turbo.

And now im not the fastest anymore. :wasnotme:

He got it today, and we haven´t raced yet.

Because i havent put on all my BPU items yet.

Still my car is waiting for the spring to come.:rolleyes:

Will be intressting later on.

His Porsche:

996 Turbo

2001 Year Model

Triptronic

420 hp

What do i need to upgrade to , in order to beat his ass ? :sly:

My Supra:

HKS SSQV Kit

HKS 4" Hiper Titanium

HKS EVC 5

Greddy 60mm Boost Meter White Faced

Greddy 60mm E.G.T Meter White Faced

Greddy 60mm A / F Meter White Faced

Greddy BCC

Blitz SUS Kit

RMM Downpipe

I know i need to upgrade to a "Singel Turbo".

And i have no clue what to get, to keep up, or even go faster then him.

Any tips would be nice, so i know what to save up to, till 2007.

Hehe

A picture of his Blue Porsche and a picture of my Black Supra.

Thanks fellas

// André of Sweden

Who cares,soops always look the bo*****s.

hope this thread isn't turning into a which is better supra or GT2 ?

I know for a fact that the GT2 is a much better handling car than a Supra... the chassis design and the way it gets the power down in the bends is a lot more effective than a Supra. The Supra was designed around the 320bhp area... a GT2 was designed around the 460bhp area... thats a big difference.

I've not driven a GT2 myself but I have driven the GT3 which I'd say would still beat a Supra round a track. And when I did get the chance to have a play with a GT2 on some local 'a' roads I found it impossible to keep up. Although to my defense, the local driver of the GT2 is a competitor in the British Rally Championship ;) Which adds a bit more of a challenge to the equation. But the front end grip of the 911 and the ability to commit to a corner seems to be where it has much more of an edge, (not to mention the way you can plant the throttle on corner exit in a Porsche knowing you have the engine weight to plant the tyres into the road).

I'm not saying the Supra is crap... far from it.. just that the Porsche GT3 and GT2 are a more track focussed cars in stock form... a Supra can easily be tuned up and uprated parts added which would see it compete on a more even level. But even then the Porsche can be tuned further and made to be more focussed still which would give it even more of an edge.

Guest Terry S

Steve, you are being a little economical here. I had 2 Month old optimax in the car. On the VVTi the throttle shuts when it senses knock. Everytime I nailed her she shut the throttle. As I told you at the time, and you agreed, you could here the exhaust note changing. Anyway, gladly do it again anytime with fresh fuel!