The mkiv Supra Owners Club

reluctant sale

Guest pippin

theres also a whole load of people who would register purely to sell on their wares and not give a stuff about the club. They have to pay for Autotrader and Exchange & Mart so if they want to sell on here they need to join up.

For a first post you certainly chose a great way of introducing yourself.

JB

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most forums have an open-policy for sale section. Shame mkivsupra doesnt. There may be a whole load of members with decent supras for sale and your missing out on them.

Disagree, most sites do not allow people to sell on their sites unless they have made "x" number of posts or they are a full member.

The main reason for me to go to a forum to buy a car is to look for cars that have been owned by respected or well known members of that forum, if just anyone can sell cars then imo it ruins the club.

Just my opinion:whistle:

I wasnt aware this was a commercial forum. Even the people who do register just to sell their cars are still offering your members the chance to view/buy whats available.

I now realise you are admin and maybe make a small fortune from the tenners you get, so its in your interests to limit whats on offer to non-paying members in the hope that if you with-hold enough features, they may give you a tenner to get what most sites give for free.

But hey, its your site and its obviously working.

Payment was introduced to help fund the club but also to give us a way of keeping trolls, timewasters and rip-off merchants off the BBS. It mostly works, you have a limited number of posts before you have to pay.

I think its best I keep quiet and let the paying members explain why they feel £10 is a small price to pay.

JB

Im pretty sure most sites offer a free for sale section. Some of the biggest forums i know anyway, eg pistonheads, etc.

Like i said, it works for you. Just seems a bit tight holding back the for sale section. Im not arguing that other stuff paying members get isnt worth the tenner. Found it odd that the for sale section was part of it.

As i didnt start this post, i dont think im the only one.

Join any branded car club before the internet days and in most cases you would have to pay..this is normal!

This site is a whole lot more than just a forum...in my opinion it improved leaps and bounds when the £10 charge was introduced!

The benefits are endless..the amount of renewed memberships and the fact that this is the biggest European Supra site with the most members speaks for itself!

Mkivsupra..has one of the best if not 'the best' reputation!

Si:respekt: :respekt:

Im not arguing with that, i just think its very commercial.

As ive said, i own/run my own forum. Not as many members, my homepage isnt quite as professional as this one but then i dont charge every member a tenner to use it.

Guess if you guys like it, its all good :D

Most forums have an open-policy for sale section. Shame mkivsupra doesnt. There may be a whole load of members with decent supras for sale and your missing out on them.

Again, this is just my opinion. :zen:

If there are a whole load of members with decent supras for sale, then they will be able to post in the for sale section because they are members.

From the perspective of someone who bought their Sup through this forum, I personally found the fact that only members can sell a plus point, It meant that the person selling the car was a member and was more likely to have looked after the car, rather than someone who turns up makes 6 posts to sell their car and then disappears. It also meant that there would have been a lot of people who could comment on the condition of the car in an informed fashion.

Mike

Ok suppose the sale facility is free on here. Would anyone want to buy a car off a supra forum from someone who is not known on the site and has little or no interest in getting to know the people on the site? I don't think £10 is unreasonable for the advice etc that is available here...infact its a bargain!!

You have to pay sellers cost on ebay and most other places and you can't get people's opinions there...

Rant over..:rolleyes:

Now join, you know its worth it!

LOL. Ebay is a commercial company. Like your local Toyota dealer. If you have a technical problem. You can either, book it in with them and pay a fortune to find/repair the fault or...

Log onto a dedicated forum and ask the very friendly guys/gals what they think for free.

Likewise when you come to sell your beloved car. You can either advertise it with Autotrader/Ebay and pay or (usually) find a dedicated forum and advertise it there for free.

I used to own scoobys and have been a member on scoobynet for years. Ive sold my last three scoobs using their free for sale section. Never had any problems.

and I quote

I used to own scoobys and have been a member on scoobynet for years

so if you've been a member on scoobynet for years, had the for sale section not been free you wouldn't have minded.

as for this forum being a commercial venture - you know yourself that web hosting is not free. support of the forum takes up your time, and is therefore not free. If a member pays for three years membership on here they qualify for lifetime membership

Log onto a dedicated forum and ask the very friendly guys/gals what they think for free.

you can still do that here, and provided you haven't upset anyone with your first post (:p) everyone will give you an objective view on the car you're asking about, though it's unlikely that the opinion will be informed.

Mike

Still... withholding the for sale section IMO, is just being tight.

The poor lad HAS to sell his Supra. Charging a tenner for the priviledge is out of order.

Your post makes little sense..

he is not forced to use this site to sell his supra, there are others out there. But he will have to pay there too.

he HAS advertised his post in the non for sale section, and a Mod has seen it, and it hasnt been moved.....

personally, when i joined, i paid £30 and well worth it!

so what if for sale is withheld to members only - as someone just mentioned i wouldnt want to buy from a non member anyway.

So after 3 years of me posting regularly, attending meets and generally being a nice guy you wouldnt want to buy my Supra because i havent paid the tenner?

Riiiiiight

JESUS!!! U serious????

Man, THAT IS TIGHT!!! Guess i wont be posting much then :-/

Shame, you guys must be missing out on ALOT of decent members or are most of you kind of obliged to pay the membership even if you dont agree?

Not being funny, but that IS unusual for a forum. VERY unusual.

So after 3 years of me posting regularly, attending meets and generally being a nice guy you wouldnt want to buy my Supra because i havent paid the tenner?

Riiiiiight

riiight - yes indeedy - as Jake pointed out, if you posted regularly you would have paid the tenner, and you would be known to me.

of course i buy from non members, but the point remains..he/you arent forced to use the site.

i had made one post before i paid, was so happy to get the insurance sorted out it was sure worth the costs of membership. All the work in arranging the club scheme - it was the least i could do.

i bought my Supra locally from outside of the club. if i was doing it again, it would be from here, certainly i have got more out of this forum, than i imagined.

anyways, if i was worried about 10UK, i would just put 10 more on the cost of the car, to get it back :D

totally off topic, some guy nearly got creamed by a red mkIII surpra turbo, in this drama i am watching