The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Refurbed lights - ALL GONE WRONG

imi

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont want to sart a war here but in liams defence it may have been a fuck up. every one makes mistakes guys, hes a really nice guy and saved me a lot of money....... mine turned out fine although mine have mist in them now. The unit is a crap design thats why they all let water in.

I realy feel for you mate...... headlights are the bain of our lives and is so dipressing to see a 180mph supercar with crap like this.

this is how mine looked after he had finished with them.http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=47295 Hair dryer on the front of the glass with the main beam bulb out. then leave the bulb out for a week untill nothing is left. re seal with silicon and put bulb back.

tt steve

If the headlights are in a very poor condition to start with it will obviously make the job harder and it wont be possible to get a great finish in which case Liam should have said that to you I guess? But black cat yours look as if they were done by someone else they are very nice!

i think the plastic ones are easier to refurb but dont last aslong from new. mind you they are 9 years old.

every one makes mistakes guys,

And what's my mistake? Why do I have to suffer for the incovenience, hassle and the loss of funds + loss of very good lights??

I'll take your advice and see whether I can get rid of the condensation.....

its shitty mate i know. Could you get new rubbers with out the actual lights??? if you manage to get rid of the condensation??

if you hair dryier the front make sure the engine is running and the other lights are all on, what will happen if you dont is that the mist will go from the glass cos it is hot, but condensate on the cold lamps.. just wen you think every thing is fine you sart the car and put the lights on and they get hot and it condensates back on the glass again.:swear: :swear:

this will take a good hour in the cold but may work. other than that. take them back out with the main beam lamp out and put in airing cupboard over night.

i have tryed every which way as u can tell.

tt steve

They looked perfectly normal before without any issues whatsoever.

The professional way to work would have been:

If one isn't happy with the condition of the lights, you let me know, BEFORE working on them (and I heard nothing)....

As soon as one charges for the service then I expect the lights to be right...

If the lights are no longer in a suitable condition then according to business ethics...a full refund + compensation is in order......

Liam might be a good guy (certainly one of the reasons why I sent the lights to him) - but in my case, he has got it wrong and its cost me dearly.

£200 worth of lights

£60 worth of postage (3 times)

£100 to work on the lights

2.5-3 months wait

Imi - mate I feel for ya.

Those lights look shit, to be fair they will look rubbish with or without condensation.

I understand people backing Liam as he does have a good reputation, but its obvious he has made a mistake in this case, I can't see why full compensation is not offered?

I am also surprised at the lack of involvement from the mods, they are quite happy to take traders fees etc, surely they should be acting as an arbitrator in this case to look after the interests of members?

Imi I don't know what sort of state your lights were in before you sent them to Liam but mine were a real mess!

Before Liam did mine the passenger side was misting badly and the driver’s side was 3mm deep in water! When Liam took the lights off the car he discovered the driver’s side light had been butchered during a botched attempt to seal them before, so I understood that it wasn't a good basis for a perfect seal but he was confident something could be done, so worth a try.

From a pair of 11 year old lights I wasn't expecting a set of brand new lights, I was just happy with them being sprayed matt black, but I was surprised at how good they came out! They look like new and perform as good as nearly new ones (I knew a 2 year old UK supra and the lights where always misted). Everyone I chat too finds it real easy to mist up there Supra headlights through jet washing them. I managed to mist mine up after I jet washed the car, I popped the main beam bulb out and they cleared :)

I went down the refurb route because I had heard good things about Liam’s work. All I can say is that from my personal experience is that even though my lights were crap to start with I'm more than happy with how they turned out.

imi i feel for you mate :( sound like you have had a nightmare with them. These things do unfortunately happen, im sure the trader is doing his/her best to put things right. its not on and i wouldnt hesitate to rant about something that wasnt right. Hope things get sorted and all is happy at the end :)