The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1996 Genuine low mileage Facelift auto TT for sale

Scooter

Excuse the following blurb it is a work in progress and ultimately for a general sale but I wanted to pop it on here in case someone is interested.  Car isn't prepared for sale as yet, I need to spend some time at the weekends to do that so it won't be being advertised elsewhere for a while. 

-------------------------------------------------

This is a genuine low mileage 1996 facelift (non VVTI) Japanese imported car. I'm the 3rd UK owner and I knew the previous 2 owners from the Supra owners club and I have saved some provenence from both, that verify the original mileage on import and subsequent miles. The car drives very well, the autobox is faultless and is very competent for it's age (try it and see for yourself!) and overall the car still feels tight, it has the basic BPU mods and runs a restrictor ring to keep it to a very safe 1.15 bar of boost (boost controller is present but is only rigged up as a gauge, with a warning and peak hold indicator). The heater blows very hot and the aircon works well, the rear hatch has no rust, the dash, steering wheel and auto shifter are near perfect. The engine bay is honest and leak free, some pipes were chromed many years ago and it doesn't now look the best (certainly doesn't externally look it's low mileage), but it's sequential turbos boost so nicely I haven't tinkered with it just to make it look nice

I will get more pictures of the car up soon but the silver wheels are 19" and on the car at the moment, the gold wheels are 18" I still have but they need a refurb, I have the smaller J-spec brakes on it with uprated front pads, but both sets of wheels will fit over the large brake setup if that was to be fitted.

I have used opie oils Titan/Fuchs Titan Race Pro fully sythetic oil to keep the low miles engine as fresh as possible, looking down the oil cap you can see no carbonisation that they can suffer from if oil intervals are extended or the oil used is of lower quality (this does back up the low mileage). You can see from the Mot history I've done low miles each year as have the previous owners but it's never been sat for any extended periods. It's had replacement engine mounts and a crank pulley so a couple of the age related issues sorted.

Bad points are door handles faded, bonnet takes some polishing to get nice, likewise the bumpers are stone chipped and tatty,  and someone reversed into and very slightly cracked the front bumper (see the plaster sticker!). The old radio/stereo doesn't work (haven't investigated this as I drive it so little and when I do I'm happy listening to the car!),The fronts seats have started peeling (I got stitched up buying leather seats that turn out not to be leather! Standard seats available for £200 on facebook)  and the alarmkey fobs while working are in a very poor state. Essentially all the cars issues can be physically seen, and are cosmetic so again come and see it in the flesh to assess easily and fully. Door cards, dash, steering wheel and auto shifter are very much in line with the cars low miles. 

It's a great car, it's never given me mechanical trouble and when you see some for sale with over 150K miles you can understand why. I'd happily drive anywhere in it with no fear, but it is cosmetically challenged in some areas hence the price, I have been open and honest about this and the price reflects these issues, it is priced around the same as some non turbo models and just a short drive in this would prove that performance wise there is no comparison. You could spend a lot more and get a lot worse car. 

I'm 50 now and just feel it's time to move on, time, motivation and ability to tackle all the little things is lacking, made harder by the fact that it's on my parents drive as my new house has a drive incompatible with the low/large overhang front bumper.

1st Owner

https://www.mkivsupra.net/topic/77601-who-has-the-lowest-mileage-on-their-supra/#comment-1046545

Sale advert pre 2nd UK owner

https://www.mkivsupra.net/topic/147904-stunning-example-of-tt-rz-s-bpu-red-auto/

2nd UK Owner

https://www.mkivsupra.net/topic/192522-import-1996-rz-s-low-mileage-red-auto-bpu/?tab=comments#comment-2729457

"The odometer was then changed at 45,400km's"  ie 28210 miles

If reading is now 71000 (i need to check but it's around that), then that's (71,000-45400) 25,600 miles plus the 28,210 miles - 53,810 Miles

£25,995 already the cheapest up together TT for sale on autotrader, it has genuine (about as good provenance as you can hope for x3 forum owners) low miles, but this gives a generous budget for the cosmetic fettling at your leisure? Offers or opinions on price invited.

Pictures are from around when I got it, the front and rear bumpers are now not in great condition and the seats have the leather(ette) flaking but it shows the general look. Axis Hiro's now on the car, will update at the weekend. 

Supra when I got it.jpg

Supra when I got it rear.jpg

Supra seat before flaking.jpg

Supra silver 2.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi mate. 

Seems like a good deal for someone wanting an honest, low mileage example. As you say, mainly cosmetic work which also gives the new owner the chance to make it their own. Might be good to get a couple of current photos including engine bay, underneath if possible? Put it this way if I was looking to get back into ownership now I’d be interested. 

Best of luck with the sale. 

Cheers.

Pete 

• Like 1

No one keeps a car for over 10 years unless its a good car. You should consider pushing it through a classic car auction where you can set a reserve that you are happy with and avoid the stress of dealing with the general public some of whom will just be having a day out.

• Like 1

Cheers guys, the price reflects my thought on a combination of the work needed to bring it back to good visual condition (it'll need money spending to get it looking like the pictures posted so far), what I bought it for and just my gut feel/comfort level forum wise. I think it's priced such that after doing remedial work it'll then be worth that spend on top, so a good base car? Even with the cost of a glass out respray it might be worth this plus that spend afterwards?

I am going to spend some time this weekend prepping it and will take loads of photos in and under.

Rider, I will look into auctions but I'd like a person to get it without the middle man premium and so willing to let it sit just on here for a bit. 

• Like 1

Now that's a nice looking car 😉

The pics bring back some fond memories from my ownership albeit if I recall correctly I spent more time polishing it than driving the beast.

I should ask the missus if she wants a new weekend car, lol.

A truly fab machine.

All the best mate,

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, if it goes it's the end of an over 20 year era for me, sort of sad times but I have moved back to the cheaper performance car area where I feel more at home! 

It's been a great car to own, thanks to you and Martin, it's the longest I've ever kept one, and still raises a smile and not just me but every time I take it out I see a reaction from someone.

Gonna drive it to work tomorrow and then clean it at the weekend, just to check I've de-bonded enough!😄

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Thanks Andrew, if it goes it's the end of an over 20 year era for me, sort of sad times but I have moved back to the cheaper performance car area where I feel more at home! 

It's been a great car to own, thanks to you and Martin, it's the longest I've ever kept one, and still raises a smile and not just me but every time I take it out I see a reaction from someone.

Gonna drive it to work tomorrow and then clean it at the weekend, just to check I've de-bonded enough!😄

Yes, I fully understand sir and I wish all goes well for you over the weekend. It'll be a hard pull to separate from such a lovely vehicle but sometimes needs must.

Pete summed it up nicely in terms of the price point and IMO it's extremely attractive for anyone wishing to get into a Supie-Doop.

Good luck and hope to see some pics soon,

All the best,

Andrew

I like to think it's a fair price, I see a lot that need some cosmetic work and they are generally much higher mileage, I know many don't trust mileages but I know yours was genuine, and then you had it and Martin after so as good a guarantee as you can get? So with tidying it'd be worth more, so any spend the new owner will likely recoup in carrying value?  

• Like 2

Pic of the rear of the airbox. It's a cone filter inside the stock box, the rear of the box is cut through to make it fit. Essentially done to try and be a better version of those metal pieces that try to block off the engines hot air from the intake.

Rear of airbox.jpg

• Like 2

It looks to be in good condition underside for not having anything done with that part. The lifting damage on the sills doesn't look bad at all and I'd expect to be able to straightened that out using some localised heat and a set of manly grips and clamps. Something probably best attempted with the carpet out, I wouldn't want those hollow fibres melting.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.