The mkiv Supra Owners Club

5 more years

Dnk

To be honest im not suprised and think it's probably a good thing.

I have an EV for the daily drive which is a Tesla and luckly they have a decent fast charging network (if you're not charging from home)

If you don't use their network you're in for a rough time, not many chargers or the ones that do exist charge incredable amounts to use they are genrally slow and/or they are broken. 

The grid in the UK just won't be able to cope with millions of EV's charging overnight at the same time. The infrastructure will take years and years to do. 

45 minutes ago, Ric said:

The grid in the UK just won't be able to cope with millions of EV's charging overnight at the same time. The infrastructure will take years and years to do. 

The problem is our succession of puppet governments making promises they won't ever have to face up to. It's not their problem if it happens after they've been voted out. I'm just surprised they're extending it so soon.

10 hours ago, welshbuddy said:

hydrogen will be the future. I got a hunch, they'll try make everyone go electric and Amp up the electric price as soon as everyone is in one.

The prices are already stupid for public none tesla chargers

shell and others already want 80p per kWh at their fast chargers.

if you drive very well you'd be pushed to get 4 miles per kWh on most EVs so it's very expensive.

considering I can charge at home and get a "full tank" 300miles for £4 the same charge on one of shells would be over £50

i can't see hydrogen taking off, again infrastructure. They'd have to wait until all the gas is gone and possibly use those pipes. Which is a long long way off also

the government is already putting people off EVs come 2025 they are removing the zero road tax and charging the £40k luxury car tax that EVs currently don't have

most EVs are over that cost so it will be loads more expensive to own one come 2025

Edited by Ric (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 7:08 PM, Ric said:

To be honest im not suprised and think it's probably a good thing.

I have an EV for the daily drive which is a Tesla and luckly they have a decent fast charging network (if you're not charging from home)

If you don't use their network you're in for a rough time, not many chargers or the ones that do exist charge incredable amounts to use they are genrally slow and/or they are broken. 

Same here, I have a Tesla Model 3 Performance for my daily. I charge it at home, and depending on when I plug it in, it's a maximum of £18 for 275 real world miles. I get 333Wh/mile, so 3 miles per kWh. That equates to around 80-100mpg at (home/Tesla prices), if I recall correctly. I only charge at Tesla or at home. Using the Shell, Inonity, BP Pulse or any of the other eye-wateringly expensive options alters that to mid 30s on the MPGe equivelance. There's dozens of euroboxes that will yield 3x that if driven well enough.
We do not have the technology to push this idyliic approach, whether it be in charge speed, range, battery density, let alone make that available to the masses.

We'd be far better switching to a synthetic, sustainable fuel to keep the ICE vehicles on the road. 

On 9/30/2023 at 11:30 PM, formatzero said:

The trouble is, any government that is in power never have anyone qualified to make decisions about anything hence every brilliant idea soon becomes a total shambles,and guess who pays for it all .

And in addition to that, the new ideas that come along are often lobbied against by those who have the power and money to do so. And the politicians are often at their whim. But that's a whole new thread.

• Like 1