The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I've killed three fuel pumps; please help

Noz

Guys I'm really starting to get frustrated with my situation now.

I've had my third fuel pump die within a couple of weeks.

Initially I had contributed it to a bad pump. The fuse had melted some what after a spirited drive and the car runs at a consistent 2k rpm without any movement from the pedal, upon which it dies and won't fire up.

Then a bad filter which was considerably blocked. The new one blew through much differently. Felt I'd won the fight.

Now I'm sat waiting for someone to help me push my car into a drive on my third pump die. I admittedly smelt almost burning 10 minutes beforehand. Checked the car over. Assumed external. Still could have been.

I have a show Sunday so will see if I can source a replacement shipped over night. But I'm struggling to nail it.

Just now, Mike2JZ said:

Whats the latest postmortem? Is pump dead, or fuse and wiring knackered as well?

Random stab in the dark, are you building lots of pressure in the fuel tank? Do you get a large pressure release when you undo the fuel filler cap?

Pump is dead. Fuse is fine. Once powered, it makes a priming noise but the time its on is way shorter than it wad when pump wad functional.

Haven't checked the filler cap.

Builds pressure (on sensors and pressure regulator) then dies.

12 hours ago, Mike2JZ said:

Whats the latest postmortem? Is pump dead, or fuse and wiring knackered as well?

Random stab in the dark, are you building lots of pressure in the fuel tank? Do you get a large pressure release when you undo the fuel filler cap?

I just remembered. I have a filler cap that allows fuel pump nozzle to be pressed in, so it's not pressure sealed with considerable force.

I wrote a thread on this site years ago on how to spot counterfeit fuel pumps and it is something that people should research before buying a fuel pump. The horror side of fuel delivery is you can go onto any of the Chinese company retail sites and order a branded fuel pump for around $5. The fakes do tend to run on plastic teeth and gears that overheat and strip rather easily whereas genuine top line pumps tend to run on metal gears.

Weight is usually an easy way to spot the fakes in the marketplace, they do tend to be quite a bit lighter. Then there is the quality of embossed stamping on the casing, knock offs tend to have characters individually stamped so often don't line up perfectly whereas genuine cases tend to be block stamped. There is also the casing appearance, how shiny or dappled it is compared to a genuine pump. Even the outlets can be a different shape and colour to a genuine pump.

You really need to buy fuel pumps from a top line retailer if you aren't prepared to put in the detective work to ensure that your pump is the genuine article rather than a US$5 Chinese knock off.

https://www.mkivsupra.net/topic/237190-genuine-or-fake-walbro-fuel-pumps-rough-guide-on-how-to-spot-the-difference/#comment-3441762

Edited by rider
link added (see edit history)

On 8/17/2023 at 9:05 PM, Noz said:

Syvecs. S6. Grams. All three of them.

Odd really because had it running the first one for ages problem free.

I'm pretty sure Swampy meant the fuel pump ecu at the rear of the car, and not as you thought what engine management ECU you have fitted, two separate things mate, and the fuel pump ecu is a source of problems if you have fitted a larger pump. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burna said:

I'm pretty sure Swampy meant the fuel pump ecu at the rear of the car, and not as you thought what engine management ECU you have fitted, two separate things mate, and the fuel pump ecu is a source of problems if you have fitted a larger pump. 

You're correct. My mistake @Swampy442.

Removed that though.

I've sent my situation to whifbitz. Hoping he can help. Otherwise I may try a new throttle body. As current one isn't returning a throttle position, and I have no idle control valve.

It's hunting on idle if I managed to fire it up on semi prime.

1 minute ago, Noz said:

You're correct. My mistake @Swampy442.

Removed that though.

I've sent my situation to whifbitz. Hoping he can help. Otherwise I may try a new throttle body. As current one isn't returning a throttle position, and I have no idle control valve.

It's hunting on idle if I managed to fire it up on semi prime.

But have you fitted the relay mod in place?

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 9:32 PM, Mike2JZ said:

If you are struggling I can remote in and see if I can assist, sounds like you have other issues other than fuel pump

Thanks Mike. That would be appreciated at some point mate. With throttle not returning a signal I'm wondering if its a clue.

On 8/24/2023 at 7:39 AM, Swampy442 said:

60psi is your static fuel pressure?

Doesn't hold pressure unless running. I'd have to check exact pressure when running. Might attempt a fire up today