The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boot lid glass and rust

JS2004

I've recently spotted some of the dreaded rust around the bottom left corner of my boot lid, underneath the rubber seal. It's not terrible, but has caused some bubbling. 

I've used silicone grease around the entire rubber seal of the glass as a temporary fix, but ideally need to sort the rust.

Reading a few posts here people talk about the glass itself being a problem to find, and some body shops can't guarantee they won't break it etc. 

How hard is it to find replacement glass? I don't mind going aftermarket if needed, but I'm worried that I might need new glass and be unable to find any.. any thoughts or ideas ? 

Cheers 

I was told by Autoglass, when I had them remove my rear screen many years ago now that they cover glass for breakage - their fault. They won't cover glass that they don't retail and they didn't retail Supra rear glass. So your only chance back in the day to have it covered was having a Toyota Dealership arrange the work. Maybe they would have come up with their own provisos to?

You could easily get into what is their fault, if a 30 year old screen cracks I'm sure they could simply say pre existing scratches would have weakened the glass. So, it probably comes down to if they butter fingers dropped it.

This was the thread I started when I was looking into having rear screens manufactured.....

https://www.mkivsupra.net/topic/250258-heritage-glass-front-and-rear-screens/#comment-3560885

so when all the rear screen glass got discontinued duing lockdown, i had the last few and autoglass had two off me for jobs for members on here..... i was looking into reproduction ones and had it all lined up but toyota have re-released them again.... inflated price as usual but they are back out... nobody has a replacement except toyota (glass anyway) 

• Like 3