The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My NA-T Nos Monster Build/Progress Thread

Suprakeith

Been good weekend, Saturday the supra had MOT and passed do have slight play in rear upper arm bush and i do mean slight slight but going to order new set of OEM upper rear arms.

Today decided to go into garage and sort few bits and got more done than planned, managed to adjust and tidy up throttle cable so that sitting and looking loads better than did.

Also managed to fit my carbon rear diffuser and stock rear hockey sticks, have to say was fun few hours but managed to get it all fitted and together, not a job i want to do again if honest wasn't much fun doing in my garage, would of been breeze if had a ramp. Only bit have to finish is get some threaded bar from work to finish fitting rear of diffuser to anti roll bar mount brackets i made, also want to get some black bolts as the stainless ones stand out to much for my liking.

Cable 1.jpg

RD1.jpg

RD2.jpg

RD3.jpg

RD4.jpg

RD5.jpg

RD6.jpg

RD7.jpg

RD8.jpg

RD9.jpg

RD10.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Wishieftrottle said:

Did you drill any additional holes, or used existing ones?

Looks really good!

Yes had to drill couple extra holes for the carbon side bits to sit on hockey sticks. 

Thank you very much, hopefully will get some better pictures of diffuser over weekend

Well today has been a very productive good day, managed to finish off fitting carbon rear diffuser, got the rear sitting perfect thanks to brackets made at work and some threaded bar. plus replaced the silver bolts with black bolts where can see to give cleaner look.

Plus massive thanks to Mike from SRD today, i finally have my car rev gauge all working as should, after doing wire bits few weeks, Mike walked me through how to set and calibrate rev counter, am so over the moon and can't wait to drive car, going to make car so much more fun to drive now cause do feel been holding back while giving her boost.

D11.jpg

D12.jpg

D13.jpg

D14.jpg

D15.jpg

Rev 1.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Slight update got the insurance agreed value back at 35k which am happy about, also have purchased tickets for Jap Show Finale in October to take car up strip see what time see does, going to order helmet this week just incase pass the 110mph mark going up strip.

End of October will properly put her away for winter to do some little jobs...

1. Have noticed very slight oil leak from one of my oil sensors in sandwich plate so will do oil change and sort that out

2. Want to do coolant flush and clean and refill with all new

3. Replace brake fluid and fit new clean reservoir (sat in box waiting)

4. Re route turbo oil feed line to tidy up engine bay more

5. Strip interior and treat and rusty metal and sound deaden rest of inside (all ready done boot and under rear seats)

6. Fit new rear OEM upper rear arms

7. Remove exhaust manifold as have slight leak when start car, fit all new gaskets and look at getting the Whifbitz log manifold heat wrapped or coated

8. Re fit the Nos solenoids and lines in engine bay so all ready to be used when choose 

9. Look at fitting my 10x7 speakers in rear panels or if cant fit new rear speakers

10. Fit lifters on carbon bonnet so sits higher at rear so can get fitment better and possible look at fitting bonnet catches

didn't relise had so many little jobs to do, should keep me very busy over the winter 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, mwilkinson said:

That is a long list. 

However, I suspect that list will get longer once you start.  You'll see something else and won't be able to stop yourself from dealing with it - however minor it is. 😁

Longer than i relished that's for sure lol

Oh yes i am sure will find more jobs along the way to keep me busy, as these cars are never ending, hopefully someone buys my veilside exhaust and can look and fitting cage and fitting new carpet, plus fit my amp and sub...but that's just wishful thinking at moment.

• 1 month later...

Well i took my car to Jap Show Finale at Santa Pod on 8th October, to take her up strip and see what time she does. 

On the morning of show car wasn't running 100%, i didn't think to much of it just thought may be some doggy fuel or something as after few miles driving she felt ok. My mate Gary came along in his Evo 7 as we said would go and see what cars can do.

My 1st run felt ok up strip but car felt like was holding back and only managed a 13.6 which turns out was best run of the day. On 3rd run went up against mate with Evo and it was so close he just beat me by 6 tenths of second, was quite shocked as he only around 400bhp. 

On way home car didn't feel 100% again and was worried that had damaged something, after speaking to Mike at SRD he noticed that my car was missing so checked the Whifbitz R35 coils and turns out two of my coils are faulty so that explains why she was running so rough and so low on power, SRD reckon car with two cylinders missing i would be around the 400bhp mark which explains my slow times, as i should of been low 12s with ease if not in the 11s.

If honest am really gutted the Whifbitz coils let me down and speaking to few people its quite common them failing and now Whifbitz doesn't sell the kit so that says must be poor quality or design.

So going to treat car to genuine R35 coils from SRD to solve miss firing issue, its job didn't plan for over winter and will only be plug and play so nice and easy, just money wanted to spend on other upgrades, but these things happen.

I have also been looking at gearbox options so can run my Nos and more power and think going to go with GS6 box conversion with build diff.  

Few pictures from Santa Pod and my timing slip.

RWYB1.jpg

RWYB2.jpg

RWYB3.jpg

!st run pic.jpg

2nd run pic.jpg

Timing slip 2023.jpg

Waiting.jpg

• 1 month later...

Last weekend i decided to remove turbo and manifold as few people have said think gasket blowing when start up car and thought no harm in removing and checking while car living in garage over winter, all went okish until mananged to snap stud that hold turbo on and also noticed some damaged threads, i also checked my gaskets and couldn't find any evidence so manifold blowing which was bonus.

thumbnail_IMG_0647.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0649.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0650.jpg

This weekend got manifold and turbo refitted, i took my manifold to work and drilled out old studs and converted to M10 x 1.5 pitch and ordered some nice Mamba titanium studs and nuts, while hot side was out way decided to clean and degrease that side of engine bay plus the engine itself. got to try and keep bits clean and tidy. Also i fitted all new exhaust studs and nuts which meant cutting few down at work as can't fit the Whifbitz manifold with the full length studs. Really happy now its all back together, i have also ordered from Funk Motorsport new turbo blanket as mine was ripped and also some gold heat reflective tape for the hot side intercooler pipe work and also the air filter pipe, hopefully they turn up this week and get everything finished and back together this weekend coming.

I have also fitted the Taarks genuine Hitachi R35 coils from SRD before removed hot side last weekend and car was running perfect and took her for quick spin and car drove perfect again, so at least next year should get better time at Santa Pod duo to poor time this year down to two faulty Whifbitz R35 coils.

I did notice a noise coming from my distributor so next year going to get the Induction Performance Dizzy delete kit and get SRD to fit and set up kit for me, will be good to get rid of dizzy plus should make engine bay look little bit better. Plus have ordered new black bolts to replace old cam covers bolts and again make engine look fresher and cleaner.

Few pictures of currant hot side condition plus my titanium hardware.

thumbnail_IMG_0661.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0665.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0666.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0667.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0669.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0671.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0672.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0673.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0674.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0668.jpg

Edited by Suprakeith
for (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well been keeping myself busy last week wrapping hot side intercooler pipework in gold heat reflective tape from Funk Motorsport, not the greatest i must admit on the unseen pipework but the induction pipe does look good and managed few hours in garage today to refit them and have to say really liking the gold effect in engine bay. Just need to give air filter good clean and oil to get it looking red again and think will look even better.

Pipes.jpg

Pipes1.jpg

Pipes2.jpg

Bay2.jpg

Edited by Suprakeith
pics (see edit history)
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Not a happy update, fitted new Funk turbo blanket and taxed car over weekend as daily needs new clutch so thought would use supra for week for work, took car out sunday and seemed all good, bit of strong smell of fuel but just put it down too car hadn't been driven few months and was only 10min drive to get fuel and home.

Took the car monday morning and she drove perfect but again strong smell of fuel, everyone at work loved the car so fired her up at dinner and she was running sweet, after work on way home car seemed all good and car her boot full of boost and she was perfect, making all the right sounds......but about 10mins from home she started running rough and was down on power similar like i had when 2 whifbitz coils were faulty but just kept getting worst and everytime slowed down for juction car would stall and had to hold foot on gas to get her running and keep her running plus car was struggling at 40mph, because was close to home limped her home.

Only thing have replaced is grade 8 plugs from grade 7 and replaced the faulty whifbitz coils with SRD R35 coils........

Car now won't start easy and when does fire sounds like she missing big time, i've ordered compression test kit just to rule out head gasket blown but can't see that being issue as haven't lost oil or coolant and the levels are still the same, am learning towards spark plug or coils failed, just thought would post up see if anyone else had other ideas as what could be?

Over weekend going to fit old grade 7 plugs in and check compression, plus try the replaced Whifbitz coils see if have any joy, also going to put camera down to have look to see if can see any damage in bores or pistons but really think its something to do with ignition system, not the start i wanted this year but fingers crossed just something simple.

Thinking depending what issue is going to look at fitted OEM crank sensor and ordering cam trigger kit to finally get rid of noisy dizzy, if is serious not really sure what going to do

Any advice would be greatfull.

Few pictures from weekend and car at work

Eng.jpg

Gar.jpg

work1.jpg

work2.jpg

work3.jpg

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, mwilkinson said:

Sad news. A complete pain to now have to deal with.

Fingers crossed it is just a fuel / ignition problem and easily fixed.

Massive pain didnt need and am so hoping its something easy to sort, few people have said head gasket but cant see that on forged build that only done 5k plus all ARP bolts and no fluid levels have changed, but as removing plugs guess makes sense to check

3 hours ago, Suprakeith said:

Massive pain didnt need and am so hoping its something easy to sort, few people have said head gasket but cant see that on forged build that only done 5k plus all ARP bolts and no fluid levels have changed, but as removing plugs guess makes sense to check

The logic suggests its around the stuff you have touched in the spark plug process, It will be a plug or a wire or a connector 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mattdavies said:

The logic suggests its around the stuff you have touched in the spark plug process, It will be a plug or a wire or a connector 

That's my thinking aswell, i wondering if something has come loose with the coils, can't wait to get in garage Saturday and hopefully get it sorted, main issue is no one does coil bracket for the GE engine and the coils can move about causing problems like this

Just all caught up on your project bud, what a build. To see the difference between 2012 when I first met you to seeing her run the strip at Japshow finale last year is phenomenal. Thanks for using my photo in your build thread. 

The car looks even better in the metal and the attention to detail is spot on. Hopefully will get chance to have another meet up at some point this year no doubt.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, staples230uk said:

Just all caught up on your project bud, what a build. To see the difference between 2012 when I first met you to seeing her run the strip at Japshow finale last year is phenomenal. Thanks for using my photo in your build thread. 

The car looks even better in the metal and the attention to detail is spot on. Hopefully will get chance to have another meet up at some point this year no doubt.  

Thank you for taking the picture mate, shame lost loads of my full build up when forum changed but one of them things, Japshow was great fun and cant wait to run car up strip again, been doing some searching and think have few trigger kits options and coil brackets.

Oh yes i am sure we will meet up at few shows this year for good chat and catch up

• Like 1

This weekend have been trying to see if can solve issue but so far no luck, 1st i removed grade 8 plugs which were black and smelt of fuel so she clearly running mega rich for some reason, fitted old grade 7 plugs in and went through all vac lines and couldn't find any damage or loose hoses..(if honest was hoping was going to be simple vac hose).

I also did a compression test before fitted plugs and got 125psi across all cylinders that was stone cold engine with throttle closed, i also used camera to see if could see any damage on pistons and bores and they all looked ok. fired car up and was still running really poorly so was unsure what else to do so spoke to Mike from SRD and he remoted in to my laptop with car running poorly and couldn't find anything still, Mike suggested i did another compression test and try running car and unplugging coils one by one to see if coil was faulty, did compression test again and got 175psi more or less across all cylinders so happy that engine ok not head gasket issue. Also with car running and unplugging coil at time, engine dropped that cylinder and then revs increased when plugged in, so happy coils aren't issue either.

Mike also suggested that check mechanical timing and look for fuel in vac lines, so checked all vac lines again and all dry and clear, checked timing and all good with cam belt timing, i can't check dizzy timing as need to lock ecu timing and use HT lead and not sure how to do that at moment but going to have read up in week.

Today checked AFR sensor and air sensor just incase and they all good, i also checked ecu to see if any wire had come loose or damaged and everything looks perfect in footwell, spoke to Mike again today and he said to check coil loom as he's seen them causing running issues, so have Alex coming round this week to check loom and connectors to rule that out also going to borrow his map sensor as mine is reading low and its something else to rule out.

If can't find any issues with coil loom or map sensor think going to have to get car trailed to SRD as i out of options.

It could still be timing issue as dizzy could be at fault and if that case when SRD have car will get them to fit delete kit and OEM crank sensor so can get rid of dizzy at last.

I wondering as car was running fine and then started running poorly 10mins from home could a pot hole or something caused the dizzy to move causing all this hassle as i run solid mounts and car is very firm ride, really hoping its something simple and not to expensive but car needs sorting so can use her again.

Few pictures took this weekend and last phot shows dizzy and i think she was more in middle of adjustment but can't find old pics to prove its moved, really running out of options now....just want to enjoy the car and this isn't how wanted year to start with supra.

plugs.jpg

125.jpg

Mike.jpg

175.jpg

dizzy.jpg

• Like 2