The mkiv Supra Owners Club

‘Facelifted’ UK front lights?

Homer

Has anyone done or seen any pictures of UK lights with the backs painted grey like the facelift ones?

After having UK front lights for years I do like the extra clarity they provide at night, but not the way they look. I’m tempted to try it but don’t want to potentially ruin a perfectly good set of lights in the process!

Mine are UK glass ones. I split them, painted the inserts (satin black rather than the dark grey) and added some polished rings from Noz. Like you I was seriously worried about potentially ruining a good set of UK headlights, but having done it I love them and would never want to go back to the all-chrome inserts. 

3A0DEDF1-5ED3-48B9-A53B-B4139A2FDB41.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Homer said:

That seals it for me, love the look. Thanks @Hamilton 👍

I think I’ll black out the side light though as the car they’re going on is facelift.

Glad to help! I’m not massively keen on the sidelight “blob” either but it’s usually not very noticeable. Think the light is just picking it up in that picture. Hope all goes well. 👍👍

• Like 1

You’re right, it probably is the angle, but might as well do it while the lights are apart. I won’t be using it as a sidelight anyway.

Loving the do-luck front, takes me back to my old car! It sure makes you aware of speed bumps and road height changes 😁

6 minutes ago, Swampy442 said:

Ive learned something tonight, my car has UK spec headlights 😄

Easiest way to tell is to give them a thump with your knuckles. If it hurts they’re UK, if it doesn’t they’re jspec 😇

BTW, not fully serious here but it’s a valid check if you’re not familiar with the light differences 😂

9 minutes ago, Homer said:

You’re right, it probably is the angle, but might as well do it while the lights are apart. I won’t be using it as a sidelight anyway.

Loving the do-luck front, takes me back to my old car! It sure makes you aware of speed bumps and road height changes 😁

Sure does. 😬 I like the bumper but if anything happened to it I’d likely go back to something more OEM.
Great work on your RSP build by the way- I’ve been following along each weekend! 👏

• Like 1

It's total faff but I actually make replacement pods for the side lights. Cut the middle piece out and made it smooth so it flows better rather than painting it. I'll grab a photo if you wanted.

Takes few hours to do mind. Just cut middle of the pod out. Fibreglass then smooth it.

You can't fibreglass the hole. The inserts flex when lights go together. You get a crack sadly, not a strong area.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Noz said:

It's total faff but I actually make replacement pods for the side lights. Cut the middle piece out and made it smooth so it flows better rather than painting it. I'll grab a photo if you wanted.

Takes few hours to do mind. Just cut middle of the pod out. Fibreglass then smooth it.

You can't fibreglass the hole. The inserts flex when lights go together. You get a crack sadly, not a strong area.

Hey Noz, if you have a photo it would be interesting to see. I think for my ability and patience level I’ll just etch and then spray the outside of the plastic sidelight pod the same colour as the rest of the insert.

15 minutes ago, Hamilton said:

Sure does. 😬 I like the bumper but if anything happened to it I’d likely go back to something more OEM.
Great work on your RSP build by the way- I’ve been following along each weekend! 👏

Same boat here, I loved the look of the do luck but not the most practical! Thanks and good to hear some people are actually following it 😁

22 minutes ago, Homer said:

Easiest way to tell is to give them a thump with your knuckles. If it hurts they’re UK, if it doesn’t they’re jspec 😇

BTW, not fully serious here but it’s a valid check if you’re not familiar with the light differences 😂

I know theyre glass, and they have black inserts. Thats all I know 😄

• Like 1

I know someone with a set of Face-lift inserts if you wanted to just do a simple swap.

I'll post photos of glass lights with black inserts later. I've done a few.

Also got photos of the pod delete. So much cleaner.

I've actually a set of rings for Face-lift knocking about too.

To be honest with a decent set of polishes jspecs, you'd struggle to tell the difference in photos.