The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New(ish) member looking to join in the fun!

Shammy

Hey folks, new(ish) member here!

Was a whisker away from buying a Supra back in 2010 and then again in 2014... so much regret now haha! Looking at finally jumping in and buying my dream car now though whilst it's still semi affordable 🤣

Currently driving an Astra GTC VXR which I love, so the Supra would be a summer/weekend toy!

I was wandering though, do most folk keep their Supra in a garage? Any people have it on their driveway? I'd probably have it on a driveway so I'm not sure if that's a concern these days?
Also was wandering about insurance/road tax costs etc, but i'll have a look around the site and see if I can find those answers! 

I'd love a TT but that's out my price range, so i'm on the lookout for a N/A aero top! Gonna become a member soon and post up a wanted add in the classifieds! 

Any members here from around Edinburgh/Glasgow?

Excited to finally sit in a Supra leave alone own one! Anyone in the area who fancies taking me for a spin gimmie a shout 😉

Excited to be a part of this great community, used to love the MG ZR forums back in the day, glad this is still going! 

I had a garage built just to home my Supra after it had spent the first 19 years of my ownership outside. So outside is fine, at least they then get aired. Keep you eyes of FB and car auctions, you do get the occasional bargain at an auction.

Hi Shammy, I've had my mk4 supra since 2004, before I ever bought a house. My Supra used to sit under a carport at my parents house until 2008 when I bought a house with a garage, I'm not sure the car would be in the condition it is today if it had been outdoors in the elements all these years. 

Good luck with your search! 

Thanks for the warm welcome folks, much appreciated!! 

5 hours ago, rider said:

I had a garage built just to home my Supra after it had spent the first 19 years of my ownership outside. So outside is fine, at least they then get aired. Keep you eyes of FB and car auctions, you do get the occasional bargain at an auction.

Yeah i'll have my eyes open on FB etc, are these car auctions in the UK or abroad i.e. Japan? Only car auction I know of is SMAG?

Thanks for the info guys, I'm kinda worried about having it on the drive as want to keep it safe from the elements and also a little worried about it potentially being a target for thieves! I do have a garage but it's not able to take a car unfortunately, so i'll probably have it on the drive for a while before figuring out what else I can do with it!

Super excited to get my hands on one though!

These days the cars tend to go through classic car auctions rather than you dealer trade in and ex-fleet BCA type auctions. 

With the classic car status now afforded to MkIV Supras then most of us are now on agreed value classic car insurance. Invariably a condition is that the car must be garaged overnight when within X hundred meters of home. If you go for general car insurance that is usually cheaper and you will have your normal driveway insurance. There have been issues in the past when owners have come to claim in a total loss situation and their general insurer then values the cars at 20% of their value. You pays your money according to the risk and negotiating hassle time you are prepared to put in.

You probably should look at your insurance options ahead of or at least at the same time as looking for a car. Way back in the 80's I was considering either a Supra MkIII Turbo or a Sierra Cosworth, the insurance on one was £300 with no strings attached the insurance on the other was £5,500 with a stipulation list to make anyone cry from fitting a tracker to having it garaged in an alarmed building 23hrs a day. All because one car was highly nickable and I lived at a suburban address at that time without a useable garage; because the house was built when cars were 4 foot 6 inches wide. I would have been kicking myself if I'd bought a Cossie and then looked to insure it. 

All the best with the search. If you’re worried about thieves then remember they are usually opportunistic, so anything you can to to conceal the car or make it difficult to get off the drive (e.g. blocking it in) will go a long way. 

Just a warning- a lot of Aerotops leak in the rain, especially now the seals on them are old, so replacing the seals may be a job that needs doing sooner rather than later if it’s to live outside. Seals can still be bought new. 

2 hours ago, rider said:

These days the cars tend to go through classic car auctions rather than you dealer trade in and ex-fleet BCA type auctions. 

With the classic car status now afforded to MkIV Supras then most of us are now on agreed value classic car insurance. Invariably a condition is that the car must be garaged overnight when within X hundred meters of home. If you go for general car insurance that is usually cheaper and you will have your normal driveway insurance. There have been issues in the past when owners have come to claim in a total loss situation and their general insurer then values the cars at 20% of their value. You pays your money according to the risk and negotiating hassle time you are prepared to put in.

You probably should look at your insurance options ahead of or at least at the same time as looking for a car. Way back in the 80's I was considering either a Supra MkIII Turbo or a Sierra Cosworth, the insurance on one was £300 with no strings attached the insurance on the other was £5,500 with a stipulation list to make anyone cry from fitting a tracker to having it garaged in an alarmed building 23hrs a day. All because one car was highly nickable and I lived at a suburban address at that time without a useable garage; because the house was built when cars were 4 foot 6 inches wide. I would have been kicking myself if I'd bought a Cossie and then looked to insure it. 

Very good to know, i'll have a google for classic car auctions and keep an eye out on them where possible! Also good to know about classic car insurance, I've not looked into that but will do. I've had quotes of £200 or so for my normal insurance, so can always get that if need be - fortunately being 32 years old means insurance isn't too much an issue for me! 

2 hours ago, Hamilton said:

All the best with the search. If you’re worried about thieves then remember they are usually opportunistic, so anything you can to to conceal the car or make it difficult to get off the drive (e.g. blocking it in) will go a long way. 

Just a warning- a lot of Aerotops leak in the rain, especially now the seals on them are old, so replacing the seals may be a job that needs doing sooner rather than later if it’s to live outside. Seals can still be bought new. 

Yeah that's true! Don't get me wrong I don't live in a bad area, but I know they're desireable cars and have seen videos of cars being taken from drives so just a bit wary. That and the elements getting to it! We do have a few cars on the drive it would be boxed in MOST of the time, and under a cover.

Ah I see, I figured that would be the case, I've seen the seals on sale on ebay as well so yeah I'd get that sorted when I get one! Now it's just a matter of keeping an eye out and waiting for one to pop up! 😄

On 4/16/2022 at 4:03 AM, Shammy said:

Hey folks, new(ish) member here!

Was a whisker away from buying a Supra back in 2010 and then again in 2014... so much regret now haha! Looking at finally jumping in and buying my dream car now though whilst it's still semi affordable 🤣

Currently driving an Astra GTC VXR which I love, so the Supra would be a summer/weekend toy!

I was wandering though, do most folk keep their Supra in a garage? Any people have it on their driveway? I'd probably have it on a driveway so I'm not sure if that's a concern these days?
Also was wandering about insurance/road tax costs etc, but i'll have a look around the site and see if I can find those answers! 

I'd love a TT but that's out my price range, so i'm on the lookout for a N/A aero top! Gonna become a member soon and post up a wanted add in the classifieds! 

Any members here from around Edinburgh/Glasgow?

Excited to finally sit in a Supra leave alone own one! Anyone in the area who fancies taking me for a spin gimmie a shout 😉

Excited to be a part of this great community, used to love the MG ZR forums back in the day, glad this is still going! 

Welcome to the club, I thought I recognised the username. I made the leap from an MG ZR back in 2010, one of the best decisions I ever made. Don’t get me wrong, loved my MG ZR but the Supra was another level.

3 hours ago, Tyson said:

Welcome to the club, I thought I recognised the username. I made the leap from an MG ZR back in 2010, one of the best decisions I ever made. Don’t get me wrong, loved my MG ZR but the Supra was another level.

Ah, I was actually going to say that I remember someone else doing the same jump, I actually remember you saying you went TT and I was thinking of just going N/A haha! Glad to see you're still here and have level'd up 😁

On a side note, are there any FB or any other groups/sites that I should be aware/part of for everything Supra related? Already joined MKivSupra on FB, although still waiting on my first post to be approved 3 days later 😅

On 4/18/2022 at 11:49 AM, Shammy said:

Ah, I was actually going to say that I remember someone else doing the same jump, I actually remember you saying you went TT and I was thinking of just going N/A haha! Glad to see you're still here and have level'd up 😁

On a side note, are there any FB or any other groups/sites that I should be aware/part of for everything Supra related? Already joined MKivSupra on FB, although still waiting on my first post to be approved 3 days later 😅

Facebook has it's uses, mainly for  posting pictures 😄 . For everything else, you need look no further than here 👍

It's been almost 12 years since I made said jump! Can't believe how time flies but I must say it was definitely the right move. Prices have gone mental since then, so it was a wise move as I wouldn't be able to afford one now.

3 hours ago, Tyson said:

Facebook has it's uses, mainly for  posting pictures 😄 . For everything else, you need look no further than here 👍

It's been almost 12 years since I made said jump! Can't believe how time flies but I must say it was definitely the right move. Prices have gone mental since then, so it was a wise move as I wouldn't be able to afford one now.

That's good to know, i'll get my membership sorted for here then! I saw a good N/A go for £16k on FB, wasn't an aero though otherwise I'd have jumped!

Yeah it's crazy how time flies! Yeah 100% was the right move, you went from an MG to one of the most iconic cars around, brill move! Yeah I can just about afford an N/A atm, would love a turbo but need a lottery win for that atm! Hopefully have a passenger ride in someone's at a meet/show sometime though! 

• 2 months later...

Having a random catch up on the forum and thought would see where the new members are based and scrolled across yours Shammy and bought back so many good memories of my MG days 😂 I was a member on MGunleashed.com and used to love my ZR180.

As it’s been a couple of months I hope you have found that dream Supra? The members on the forum are amazing, great help and made some great friends since joining.

22 hours ago, wattwatt said:

Having a random catch up on the forum and thought would see where the new members are based and scrolled across yours Shammy and bought back so many good memories of my MG days 😂 I was a member on MGunleashed.com and used to love my ZR180.

As it’s been a couple of months I hope you have found that dream Supra? The members on the forum are amazing, great help and made some great friends since joining.

Amazing! I've haven't actually heard of that website I don't think....did I miss out?! 😅😂 I loved my MG, still wish I'd kept it as a race car haha! Do you mean a ZS180? Or a ZR160? I love the mk2 ZS180! 

Nah I haven't found one yet, I'm still on the lookout for a nice aerotop, i'll keep an eye out and hopefully one will pop up soon enough!

16 hours ago, Shammy said:

Amazing! I've haven't actually heard of that website I don't think....did I miss out?! 😅😂 I loved my MG, still wish I'd kept it as a race car haha! Do you mean a ZS180? Or a ZR160? I love the mk2 ZS180! 

Nah I haven't found one yet, I'm still on the lookout for a nice aerotop, i'll keep an eye out and hopefully one will pop up soon enough!

Hahahah!!! I did mean the ZR160 🤦🏼‍♂️ Used to love that car so much and the unleashed crowd was great fun and used to have plenty of meets 🙂

im sure one will pop up if keep looking, I’ve been in a friends aerotop recently and must say I’m a little disappointed I haven’t got one.

5 hours ago, wattwatt said:

Hahahah!!! I did mean the ZR160 🤦🏼‍♂️ Used to love that car so much and the unleashed crowd was great fun and used to have plenty of meets 🙂

im sure one will pop up if keep looking, I’ve been in a friends aerotop recently and must say I’m a little disappointed I haven’t got one.

Yeah it's a brill little car, I had one a couple years ago on 40k miles and sold it for £500 due to really bad bodywork....now they're going up in price too! Ah right that's cool, it's a shame I didn't know of them, though I did go to quite a few meets tbf, miss going to them now though!

Yeah i'll keep an eye out, happy to wait till the winter even if necessary, I'm in no rush, gives me time to sort the garage out to hopefully be able to store it too! Oh really? Well that's encouraging tbf, glad to hear good things about the aero! Looking forward to finally being able to drive or even sit in one haha