The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake Caliper Rebuild Kits

JamesyThompson

Hi folks, 

My UK spec brakes are getting a bit sticky and intend rebuilding them. OEM rebuild kits and pistons are still available from Toyota, but they are quoting over £500 which seems a bit steep. Always a fan of OEM, but has anyone had success with aftermarket options? 

Thanks, 

James

Edited by JamesyThompson (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, mc92 said:

I have jspec brakes but I used the standard eBay rebuild kit, they're still working just fine after 2 years. e.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-SUPRA-JZA80-3-0T-NON-TURBO-2x-REAR-CALIPER-REPAIR-KITS-PISTON-BCR128AX2/233005450554

The hardest part is getting the old pistons out if they're corroded.

Yeah, I see full repair kits listed on ebay for the four pot fronts and two pot rears. Just nervous about the hit and miss nature of ebay parts in general. 

5 minutes ago, JamesyThompson said:

Yeah, I see full repair kits listed on ebay for the four pot fronts and two pot rears. Just nervous about the hit and miss nature of ebay parts in general. 

Brake International Ltd, I just used them for a replacement rear jspec caliper, comes with new piston/seals fitted, they gave me £35 back when I sent back the old caliper. Good service. I also purchased a slider pin kit off eBay. www.brakesint.co.uk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Annabella said:

Brake International Ltd, I just used them for a replacement rear jspec caliper, comes with new piston/seals fitted, they gave me £35 back when I sent back the old caliper. Good service. I also purchased a slider pin kit off eBay. www.brakesint.co.uk

Thanks Annabella, will check them out

I did a refurb on all four of my callipers in 2017 and they are all still fine using standard, which means cheap eBay parts. So long as they are well greased up with the Castrol red rubber grease they should be good for years. The other option people used to talk about was stainless steel pistons supplied by forum guru Chris Wilson. You can look him up and give him a call, he doesn't do messages or email. He has his contact number as a footnote on his posts.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rider said:

I did a refurb on all four of my callipers in 2017 and they are all still fine using standard, which means cheap eBay parts. So long as they are well greased up with the Castrol red rubber grease they should be good for years. The other option people used to talk about was stainless steel pistons supplied by forum guru Chris Wilson. You can look him up and give him a call, he doesn't do messages or email. He has his contact number as a footnote on his posts.

Going to give Chris Wilson a shout, thanks rider