The mkiv Supra Owners Club

E10 fuel question

Dave

On 12/22/2021 at 10:35 AM, Simon_RD said:

I know its expensive, but I'd run super unleaded sorry. I've found Tesco 99 Momentum has worked best for me. I see it as just part and parcel of owning a high performance car. 

With that said, I've have always wondered about the cost efficiency of Regular E10 v Super unleaded, I just haven't seen any actual studies on it.

E10 Will have a lower MPG, but is cheaper, while Super Unleaded will have a Higher MPG but is more expensive. So there is an offset.

For a daily driven, boring, ordinary, modern car, the E10 has to be more cost efficient, i.e lower cost per mile. But for higher performance cars, Its hard to tell,  as most are designed for higher RON. E.g - In the 1995 owners manual for our cars(GTE), its listed as needing 96 or higher. (RON, Not MON). So e10(which is only 95 MOL) Isn't recommended for our cars as result, regardless of the ethanol component. 

It would be interesting to see the difference in long term costs of running E10 against Say Tesco momentum 99 in a 2jz-gte. The lower MPG and poorer performance of the E10 could mean any long term price difference might not be that substantial ... but that is admittedly a massive guess.

Although I sure as hell wont be doing the testing. Not only is it not recommended, but I've run 95 RON a couple of times in emergencies and I felt it was noticeably ******* terrible.

Yeah think I’ll stick to super cheers for explaining 

On 12/22/2021 at 4:53 PM, mc92 said:

I use it in my NA sometimes, it doesn't run any different than it does on 99 and doesn't get any better MPG (I've recorded mpg a bunch of times and it's 21 regardless of fuel).

Probably more important for turbo cars as others have said.

Thanks