The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing gearbox

evinX

So im going to be removing my autobox, but itll be done at home. Id like to have a car raised safely for a few days and would prefer it to be on the gravel driveway. Ive been looking at getting 4 ramps but not sure if they will be high enough for the box to come out under the car.

Ive also been looking at 4, 12 tonne axle stands (big ones!) But wouldnt be happy with axle stands on the gravel drive.

Any suggestions to have the car safely raised on all fours on the gravel drive way and high enough to remove the box and to get under the car to convert the tunnel? Anyone ever made some safe wood stands for the wheels?

Cheers, i attached a picture of the ramps i saw

Screenshot_20211104-155858_eBay.jpg

1 hour ago, evinX said:

These are what i was thinking of when it comes to wood ones

https://youtu.be/aCqfHligDSQ

The wood sounds like a good idea to me as you can make the height to suit, and you could put a paving slab or similar underneath so it's not right on the gravel.

I don't have any of the metal ramps (or made the wood ones either!), but the weedy appearance of the ramps have always put me off them.  

I made some wood ones out of old scaffold boards, they were heavy but totally solid wood, wide enough for 235 tyres and you could create the exact rise you needed to give the clearance for the front bumper.  Jack up the rear on the diff support on the stands that are on something else (perhaps scrape back the gravel to what's underneath before popping a slab etc down?)  You could make wooden blocks for the rear tyres but with the amount of suspension drop you'll need to get the rear really high so when it's lowered down on them you still have room. 

• Like 2

It'll be tight getting it out from under the car on the ramps. The ramps might also be in the way as you'll want to drag it out under one of the front arches as that's the highest point. 

I did my manual swap on axle stands using two jacks to make life easier. 

If I were to remove or install a gearbox again with the same set up, I'd 100% use a trans jack for ease. My days of bench pressing transmissions are officially over. 😂

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys guys, pulling the engine isnt goint to be an option even though it would make life so easy as i plan on doing the main seals while the car is stripped.

Wood stand seem like the way to go with the gravel drive and my mate should have a high reach jack to lift it up