The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear Screen / Bootlid with Glass

mattdavies

11 minutes ago, rider said:

There is one of eBay for £1k.

Forget that there is no glass.

Its also £1k, which is too much.  

I came back off holiday and my rear window had shattered, I am not sure how. I have asked Autoglass through my insurance to do the replacement and hoping they will get in conact with Keron to procure the screen. failing this I need to know my options 

1 minute ago, AndyJax said:

Depending how much corrosion your boot lid has better going down the glass replacement route rather than getting another boot lid messing about getting it repainted to match.

Unless your lucky and get a rust free minter in the same colour 🙂 

I am only after the glass from it so to be honest I am not bother about the state of the boot. it will probably make transport of the glass easier. 

I was told, by toyota, that the rear screens were discontinued many years ago. However, there are some companies that still list screens but whether those are the ones you order and then get refunded at some time later only ordering will tell. You are looking at £1k if it is still available. Be a bonus if you could get that replaced for a £50 insurance excess though I thought insurance only covered the front screen.

You don't see the hatch advertised these days, that is probably why the one global seller is pinging it less the glass on eBay at £1k. 

You phone up Mike brewer and ask him where he went to get his rear screen made for a Marcos to replace a Perspex one with an as original glass screen. There are companies out there that can work off a scanned original and prepare curved laminated or toughened glass, just a case of tracking them down. Can the do tinted glass screen though, who knows.

i looked into this quite a bit last year.... i can remake them, however the costs were too high for the tooling and they wanted a large order.... 

i had the last couple from toyota last year too so they seemed to be discontinued after that.... all 6 or so part numbers......

ive made a few fresh enquiries now too so will see what we can find.....

37 minutes ago, keron said:

i looked into this quite a bit last year.... i can remake them, however the costs were too high for the tooling and they wanted a large order.... 

i had the last couple from toyota last year too so they seemed to be discontinued after that.... all 6 or so part numbers......

ive made a few fresh enquiries now too so will see what we can find.....

You have no used ones either?

Just now, blythmrk said:

You have no used ones either?

i have a couple but will need them for now.... ill need them to send away to get scanned etc if we go ahead with the remaking of them.... as there are no drawings on any systems for this glass..... only fronts and sides have the drawings...

Imagine if there was a owners club that could use its members wealth of knowledge and contacts to fashion and fabricate and do whatever to get reproduction parts that could then be stored somewhere and sold via a club shop. Back to reality, there are a few companies offering bespoke services for flat and curved laminated and tempered glass screens. It all comes down to having a sample to scan and overcoming any minimum production run quantities which clearly will always need a trader or a owners club to overcome.

Companies like these guys, others are located in the mids and Lancashire from a quick scout around. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.