The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil Catch Can Recommendations

Big Supes

2 hours ago, Big Supes said:

In the process of doing an EGR delete so thought it would be a good time to look into a catch can while I'm helping the engine breathe. 

Any recommendations for tidy/easy fitment? 

I personally wouldn't bother, and I haven't on my build. Instead I've run the cam cover breather right to the rear of the car, past the rear wheels just incase the worst happen.

I've seen oil catch cans with a filter breather on mounted of the left hand side of the bay, quite near a hot turbo. I certainly wouldn't want any kind of oil vapour near a hot turbo.

17 minutes ago, Burna said:

I personally wouldn't bother, and I haven't on my build. Instead I've run the cam cover breather right to the rear of the car, past the rear wheels just incase the worst happen.

I've seen oil catch cans with a filter breather on mounted of the left hand side of the bay, quite near a hot turbo. I certainly wouldn't want any kind of oil vapour near a hot turbo.

I hear what you're saying. I just don't like increasing the engine load/output while running the stock breathers or a system restricted by the PCV valve. 

Still haven't decided whether to keep or delete the charcoal canister so it'll either be mounted there or I'll find somewhere suitable. 

Just now, Big Supes said:

I hear what you're saying. I just don't like increasing the engine load/output while running the stock breathers or a system restricted by the PCV valve. 

Still haven't decided whether to keep or delete the charcoal canister so it'll either be mounted there or I'll find somewhere suitable. 

Keep the charcoal filter, you don’t want the smell of petrol fumes in the cabin 😉 

Radium has the most gorgeous stuff ...

http://www.radiumauto.com/Dual-Catch-Can-Kit-MKIV-Supra-P1343.aspx

I have the vent-to-engine (intake) version, though I did redo the exhaust-side lines from 8AN to 10AN.  The thinking there is that the intake manifold side with the PCV valve handles idle and in-vacuum situations via the 6AN lines.  Once into boost you really want it vented, hence the exhaust side 10AN lines and utilizing vacuum from the intake pipe before the turbo.

17 hours ago, Halfwalker said:

Radium has the most gorgeous stuff ...

http://www.radiumauto.com/Dual-Catch-Can-Kit-MKIV-Supra-P1343.aspx

I have the vent-to-engine (intake) version, though I did redo the exhaust-side lines from 8AN to 10AN.  The thinking there is that the intake manifold side with the PCV valve handles idle and in-vacuum situations via the 6AN lines.  Once into boost you really want it vented, hence the exhaust side 10AN lines and utilizing vacuum from the intake pipe before the turbo.

Looks pretty decent. 

I opted for the Real Street catch can and have found a nice location to mount it while maintaining my cruise control and charcoal canister. 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Halfwalker said:

@Big Supes - How did you mount that catch-can ?  Got any pics ?

Just waiting on my cam covers to come back from the welders and it'll all be plummed up, but to show you where and how I'm mounting it, I've attached two pics below. 

A 70mm P-clip bolted onto my EGR blanking plate does the trick quite nicely. 

Not sure if J-spec cars have these holes in the back back of the plenum, but I'm sure it wouldn't take much to find something else to bolt onto. 

Hope this helps. 

20211103_124738.jpg

20211113_122507.jpg

4 minutes ago, Halfwalker said:

Nice and simple.  Good work.  I already have the Radium setup ready to go, was just curious.

It's a bit like the weekly recycling bin day... you open the lid and wonder how on earth you can fit more stuff in there before putting it out. 😄

I like nice and simple. 🙂

1 hour ago, Burna said:

I still don't understand the need to fit an oil catch can tbh, but that's a nice neat install mate 🙂

Thanks bud.

It might not be imperative, but it's important enough to me that, whilst I was doing the cam cover seals and deleting the EGR, it was a good opportunity to get it in there.

When considering increasing the power over 100% from the factory output, I believe a catch can is important to alleviate any blow-by causing crankcase pressure. Crankcase pressure after all works against making power. Like I said before, I've always ran them on cars where I've increased the power by a sizable amount. It's a good habit, IMO. 

11 minutes ago, Big Supes said:

Thanks bud.

It might not be imperative, but it's important enough to me that, whilst I was doing the cam cover seals and deleting the EGR, it was a good opportunity to get it in there.

When considering increasing the power over 100% from the factory output, I believe a catch can is important to alleviate any blow-by causing crankcase pressure. Crankcase pressure after all works against making power. Like I said before, I've always ran them on cars where I've increased the power by a sizable amount. It's a good habit, IMO. 

I understand what you’re saying, but I’d rather vent to atmosphere, which I do, and never seen the point of collecting any oil in a catch can 😕 

15 minutes ago, Burna said:

I understand what you’re saying, but I’d rather vent to atmosphere, which I do, and never seen the point of collecting any oil in a catch can 😕 

I guess it boils down to closed verses open breather systems. 

When venting to atmosphere some people believe you need to run larger hoses as you lose the sucking from the inlet. There's also the downside of moisture build up in the crankcase. 

A closed system works a bit more as per the manufacturer intended. The catch can catches the vapour, removes the oil and returns cleaner vapour back into the system while maintaining a closed system.