The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oil Filter Relocation

MattP

So here we are 13 continuous years of Supra ownership (8 years with the current car) 

However it has been sat on 4 stands for the past 4 years in the garage and now I'm slowly doing a bit of general TLC I remember the oil filter on the 2JZGTE VVTI is a pain in the ass to get off cleanly and generally has poor access. 

And yet I don't ever recall any of you mentioning a simple solution pros/cons. 

Soooooo... Show Tell what have you lot done with the stock oil filter location or is it just an accepted nuisance. 

14 minutes ago, MattP said:

V8 filter... I've never heard of that one is it the 1UZ you speak of...  Why would we use a bigger filter? 

It's the Lexus V8 oil filter, they've been used by Supra owners for years, I'm sure you've seen it before mate. Bigger filter, larger filter area, and allows more oil in the system.

Toyota/ Lexus Oil Filters - 90915-20004

Well shit all these years I've just ran stock filter and high quality oil.  Saying that the car never ever gets a hard time as most of the northern lot ridicule my economic driving haha. 

But il certainly look at them if it's a standardised thing... 

Still learning all these years later..

Just now, MattP said:

Well shit all these years I've just ran stock filter and high quality oil.  Saying that the car never ever gets a hard time as most of the northern lot ridicule my economic driving haha. 

But il certainly look at them if it's a standardised thing... 

Still learning all these years later..

Tbh I've run either over the years, regular oil and filter changes are more important. Not everyone uses the Lexus filter, it's just a little extra you can choose to do if you wish.

The white K&N I used to use on the old MR2s. 

But given the use this latest car I got gets Im lucky to cover a few hundred miles a year with odd squirt of boost. 

I'm old now gentlemen I spend all my time cleaning parts of the car nobody will ever see haha. 

I have had the Greddy oil filter relocation kit fitted since 2005 in my car. I placed it to left side of the car, under of the transmission bellhousing bolt. It truly changed the oil filter change way much easier and it would not mess your pristine subframe with oil. It fustrades to clean the old oil all around. Way much easier with oil filter relocated to easier place. Only downside with the kit are the Earl`s poor quality stupid bling bling hose clamps which you could replace with some better quality regular type hose clamps like ABA`s like this: https://www.suremarineservice.com/Heat/AWAB-316-Stainless-Steel-Clamp/316038B.html