The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Ultra Marathons

Noz

Any of you buggers into running?

I'm built like a potato, due to years of weight lifting and enjoying take away's. But been enjoying running endurance this year. Got a long run I'm prepping for end of the year too, life seems to be either Supra or fitness prep lately.

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

Just now, Tyson said:

I think you need to tell my legs that 🤣

It's all in the mind..

I am kidding though, longest i have ran is 7k and that was on wednesday. but ive always found if im distracted about something i can run alot further than i think

1 minute ago, tayr said:

It's all in the mind..

I am kidding though, longest i have ran is 7k and that was on wednesday. but ive always found if im distracted about something i can run alot further than i think

Very true though, once you hit the wall and move through it, it gets easier. The initial part of the run is the hardest.

3 minutes ago, Tyson said:

Very true though, once you hit the wall and move through it, it gets easier. The initial part of the run is the hardest.

oh for sure.. as soon as i set off and my ankles start hurting instantly and my breathing is already heavy after 100 mtrs i know its going to be a tough one 🤣

Edited by tayr (see edit history)

1 minute ago, tayr said:

oh for sure.. as soon as i set off and my ankles start hurting instantly and my breathing is already heavy after 100 mtrs i know its going to be a tough one 🤣

Also depends what your motivation is, distance or time? For distance you are a little more relaxed because you can run a slightly slower pace to eek out energy reserves, time chasing is a lot tougher as you're constantly checking to make sure your keeping up the pace and can become demotivated if it starts to slip off, having to push harder to make up the time.

4 minutes ago, Tyson said:

Also depends what your motivation is, distance or time? For distance you are a little more relaxed because you can run a slightly slower pace to eek out energy reserves, time chasing is a lot tougher as you're constantly checking to make sure your keeping up the pace and can become demotivated if it starts to slip off, having to push harder to make up the time.

Thats very true.. i find time chasing will just demotivate me, turns it into a bit of a toxic hobby. I was like that with weight lifting, i got obsessed with the numbers that i really started to hate it, and eventually i quit.

I do the 5k on about 5:40-5:50 minute per km 

the 7k i did on about 6:20 minute per km so yeh definitely true about the timings. 6:20 felt good to me but it's certainly on the slower side of things

3 hours ago, tayr said:

Thats very true.. i find time chasing will just demotivate me, turns it into a bit of a toxic hobby. I was like that with weight lifting, i got obsessed with the numbers that i really started to hate it, and eventually i quit.

the 7k i did on about 6:20 minute per km so yeh definitely true about the timings. 6:20 felt good to me but it's certainly on the slower side of things

Yep totally get that, whilst targets and goals can be motivational, you need to make sure you don't lose sight of why you are doing it. To keep in shape, for mental wellbeing or for a marathon etc Having a sense of achievement is important to keeping motivated which you tend to lose if you keep moving the goal posts further down the road to often.

I used to work with an ultra runner. Would come in on Monday morning and tell me he ran 85 miles on the Saturday 😵

I literally couldn't think of anything worse than running as I don't have the brain for it. Like the guys say above, it all seems to be about mindset and I just can't get my brain to concentrate on anything other than the fact I'm buckled and still trying to move forward.

Do love a good adventure on my bike though. Easier to keep moving a take a breather every now and again

7 hours ago, tayr said:

It's all in the mind..

Certain part of it is in the mind. But capability plays a huge part. 

7 hours ago, Tyson said:

First 10 minutes agree is always hard. Once warmed up its fine. Get a bit stressful after the 18 mile mark.

7 hours ago, Tyson said:

I think alternating distance or speed helps overall fitness for sure. The slower shorter runs always help contribute to a faster pace when needed.

6 hours ago, tayr said:

But maybe you were chasing time too aggressively. Did you have tempo runs. Short mini 2k slow runs. Did you use hills and sprints mixing the sessions up.

2 hours ago, Style said:

I used to work with an ultra runner. Would come in on Monday morning and tell me he ran 85 miles on the Saturday 😵

I literally couldn't think of anything worse than running as I don't have the brain for it. Like the guys say above, it all seems to be about mindset and I just can't get my brain to concentrate on anything other than the fact I'm buckled and still trying to move forward.

Do love a good adventure on my bike though. Easier to keep moving a take a breather every now and again

I love riding. Faster pace is enjoyable too. Offroading is too slow for me. Got a road bike I get out on a lot. Less so building for this ultra. Running technique is difficult for some of us. Many of my niggles has been due to that.

Least you done it mate!

I got in just shy of 17 miles in this weekend. Think after this year, will likely just do a weekly 10k. Nice to get out and about, but planning and diet takes up so much time hey.

1 hour ago, Noz said:

Least you done it mate!

I got in just shy of 17 miles in this weekend. Think after this year, will likely just do a weekly 10k. Nice to get out and about, but planning and diet takes up so much time hey.

That's true. The longest I had done in my 'training' before hand was 5K - So I was not expecting much. Took me just over 2 hours for the half marathon.

17 Miles in one weekend is a great effort!

21 minutes ago, Mugello said:

That's true. The longest I had done in my 'training' before hand was 5K - So I was not expecting much. Took me just over 2 hours for the half marathon.

17 Miles in one weekend is a great effort!

Thanks mate! 

Just over 2 hours is a respectable time for a half