The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance offer

pab_s

There is a big difference of value to the trade e.g. an insurer and to us. For example, i paid almost 10K for my 93' J-spec TT. that was pretty good! to you and me worth every penny, as a supra is what it is. But to trade and insurers its just a white old 13 year old car. worth pennys.

They are worth what they are worth retail because of their status not value.

Dont let them walk over you!

Good luck mate

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

£4700!?What a rip off.I've seen that car in the flesh and its worth every penny you paid for it mate.Man you pampered that car so much I felt ashamed sometimes that I don't give mine any more attention.You also had completely new brakes.Best of all is that it was a completely unmolested very well looked after example of a UK Spec Supra.Its not even half of what you paid for it!I can't add any more to whats already been said with regards to approaching SKY again,but I would not accept that offer!

Lets be realistic here for a minute. Sky are just the brokers the offer probably came from the underlying insurance company. We can't expect Sky to say we are the club insurance company so we better pay big money for a write off.

This is crap I agree but the 'book price' on a UK Supra is probably this much. I cant imagine insurance companies trailing though autotrader to get a value on a car. After all autotrader prices are the asking price not the selling price so they use glasses guide instead.

You need to decline the offer saying you cant replace the car with that amount of money and if necessary present evidence as mentioned already, with any luck and bit of time you'll get a good price. Good luck I feel sorry for you.

Like others have already said, refuse this offer, send them ads etc, and you will get better offers, may take 2 or 3 times to get near what you want but it will go up. If it doesnt that when to start really slagging off the insurance company...

Same thing with girlfriends car a few months back, think it is basically standard procedure now, did you get a cheque sent through aswell. Not that im supporting their (insurance companies) approach but I can see how it has probably saved them a lot of money as for a lot of cars people will just cash the cheque and be done with it.

BTW I *think* if you did get a cheque your ok to cash it and still refuse the offer, any additonal money agreed on will be sent out, but please DONT take my word on this, just thought it might be handy :)

It's gotta be done....

£4700 for a red Supra? Consider yourself lucky LOL.

Seriously though, if I worked for SKY I would be leaning heavily on their underwriters about this. They should know the value of these cars is way above Glass's Guide and considering the amount of business they've got from us (incidentally, they told me that all the new business will help to push quotes down in future) and other owners clubs. I think they do the MR2 OC too.

If the official club insurer won't fight your corner then maybe they shouldn't be the official insurer.

Good idea to get values, pictures etc from Auto Trader and Top Marques also get a written statement from the garage you used to service it, to say what they recommend would be a good and fair replacement value.

That, believe it or not carries quite a bit of weight when fighting these sort of cases.

I am now a little worried as I changed to Sky at the beginning of September thinking I had good service, is it just a case of 'we've got your money' and service thereafter is trash?

I would seriously hope not..

I will also be watching the progress of this fight for justice.

Keep us all informed.

Good luck and I hope you get what it was worth - accept nothing less! - why should you?

I believe they new what they were insuring and were quick enough to take your money so lets see them pay it out when needs be.

Hi all, have been reading with interest the posts in respect of Pabs claim. Obviously I am unable to go into detail about any individual, but I very much doubt that the offer being talked about will be the final offer. Just to clarify most insurers, including Ensign who we place most of our club members with, appoint a firm of assessors to deal with and sort out a policyholders claim. From past experience with the assessor in question at the moment, it seems they have a 'standard' letter that highlights an approximate value of your car which is taken straight from Glass's guide! However, once a policyholder supplies their documents (purchase receipt, service history, mod details etc) the file is passed to an engineer who will do some proper research and come back with a realistic offer on what the car is currently worth.

Pab's, if you could please give me call on 0870 11 21 759 to discuss this, I'll do all I can to help you. If anybody else has any questions concerning their policy or the claims procedure, then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Scott.

Scott,

Can you clarify if the above is only for those that "dont" have an agreed value or if the same for those with.....purchase receipt, service history, mod details etc ect ect!

Just curious what level the "agree" valuation gives you?

Cheers

Todd

• 1 month later...

Thought that I would update you all on the situation with the clubs choosen insurance scheme.

I have accepted an offer of £9500. Minus the £350 excess. That was the second offer, I would like to thank all on the forum for their advice it has proved priceless.

The cheque is in the bank and now I am shoping for a car:) . I did speak to a Scott from sky who said they are looking into changing the process around the first offer. To their credit I have got a payout that I am happy with. I was pro-active with chasing them but felt that all the way down the line heels were being dragged. In future I will ensure that I have guarunteed value.

Just so you are aware not 100% on what car to get, I know that you all love your supra's as do I however I am a little scared of them now though. That was the first time I have ever lost control of a car in my life and I wasn't being silly. The love of the car is drawing me back though. Been looking at Audi S3's Seat Leon Cupra-r and of course Supra's. Advice welcome.

Thought that I would update you all on the situation with the clubs choosen insurance scheme.

I have accepted an offer of £9500. Minus the £350 excess. That was the second offer, I would like to thank all on the forum for their advice it has proved priceless.

Nice result - I'm impressed :thumbs:

• 9 months later...

I rang jay (SKY) today for a quote and found him helpful, SKY appear to be more expensive than Bell Direct but Bell won`t pay for any repair to non-std parts. However SKY are less than Tesco and don`t have silly excesses or want to charge me to take my car to France.

Lancaster would NOT insure my J-Spec TT Aerotop GZ as it didn`t meet their panel of insurer`s criteria. I had to call it a Supra TT GZ and leave the aerotop bit out, I think it`s a case of you get what you pay for and I got the impression that mods to the car are frowned on by Lancaster. I always declare mods as if you do get unlucky it`s always a get-out clause for an insurance company !

seems like the club insurance skeme is pants.

Disagree :tongue:

I have 2 cars with them, my brothers car is with them and also my fathers.

I have always found them a pleasure to deal with over the past 2 years and recommend them to most people I know with performance cars (OK, my dad has a MX5 but what the hell :D ).

Just my opinion ;)