The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TRD LSD who has one?

Chiefgroover

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Mark Brown and Syed Shah both have units fitted by me (but bought in the USA). Possibly the single biggest traction enhancer available for the MKIV. The stock type LSD is neither use nor ornament, to be frank.

Chris what diff make/model did you fit to Mark Browns car? Because that is my car now and I just wondered. Is it normal for oil to leak out? Will post pics later.

Your diff seals are going. No, it shouldn't leak out.. Worth checking the diff oil level or doing a change if it's been like this for a while to avoid it starting to whine and then damage.

Having said that I'm sure it's quite normal on a 10 year old car!

Best thing to do is wipe it all off and check how it looks after a few hundred miles to see if it's leaking much.

Hi justin.......

I'd better check the garage...........................the car was still there this morning :) I think you must have a different mark brown (common name!!)

Don't know if CW has worked on your car, but it's mine he is talking about in the earlier post.

But...... it does look like your seals are buggered :( When we put the LSD in chris fitted new seals -- Nic can sort you out with the correct parts if needed

cheers

Mark Brown :haha:

Hi justin.......

I'd better check the garage...........................the car was still there this morning :) I think you must have a different mark brown (common name!!)

Don't know if CW has worked on your car, but it's mine he is talking about in the earlier post.

But...... it does look like your seals are buggered :( When we put the LSD in chris fitted new seals -- Nic can sort you out with the correct parts if needed

cheers

Mark Brown :haha:

Lol, yes it was another Mark Browns Supra that Chris worked on before (and I bought). Doh what were the chances.

Yup reckon you guys are right that the seals have gone on my STOCK diff. Small parts but big job am I right? Both drive shafts look very rusty too! Carbon fibre ones would be nice. :looney:

Has anybody here replaced their LSD seals? Any info, tips, costs appreciated.

Oh, THAT Mark Brown! I don't believe I fitted an LSD to that car, did I? And I just checked, Marks car that I DID fit the LSD to, DID have new side seals and a new front seal.

No you didn't Chris you fitted a Volvo oil cooler into the front of my car Mark Browns car years ago. Sorry about the mix up. So I should replace the main oil seals between the diff and each drive shaft. Anything else I should renew whilst all these bits are off?

On the subject of TRD diffs how complicate is it to fit the internals?

It's an absolute piss of piss to fit and set up Termy. There is nothing complicated at all ..if you can fit an RB lump into a 200 then this will be like picking your nose :yes: Took me about an 1 to 1 1/2 hours all in .

It's an absolute piss of piss to fit and set up Termy. There is nothing complicated at all ..if you can fit an RB lump into a 200 then this will be like picking your nose :yes: Took me about an 1 to 1 1/2 hours all in .

That is quite a differing opinion to CW, care to explain a little?

On subject of diffs, if you track your car, or drive v. fast on the road, get the TRD one, no regrets, best mod ever.

That is quite a differing opinion to CW, care to explain a little?

On subject of diffs, if you track your car, or drive v. fast on the road, get the TRD one, no regrets, best mod ever.

Yup. It's not rocket science. The actual main unit itself to swap is a breeze the most " complex" is setting up the lash, gear tooth contact, pinion preload. It's fidly but in no way complex. If anyone can shim up a set of cams they can do this. It has to be done also when checking a normal diff and all the tolerances, specs and walk throughs can be found in the tsm manuals ...you just apply the specs that come with the diff. Like I say fiddly but not complex. :yes: