The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Seven times lucky

Spike3.0

Welcome to my project thread. 

This will be my seventh Supra, with my sixth taking me back over 5 years ago which I sold to help fund a house purchase. 

Family commitments (two kids and a third on the way) together with the significant price increase towards all things Supra meant I'd almost given up the search.

However by pure luck I fell upon a fresh post from a fellow member breaking their car... And a deal was made!

The 350z that failed to fill the void has left my garage, and a Supra is now rightfully in its place.

Albeit one in need of a lot of parts 😬

(Picture of Import 350z and my last Supra's departure) 

Screenshot_2021-01-04-23-19-44-30.png

IMG20201125160607.jpg

Edited by Spike3.0 (see edit history)

December 2020;

The Supra arrives!

Due to covid restrictions this was my first time viewing the car, and thankfully it out turned out great. 

With the overall body work including paint being excellent. 

And although very bare the car still featured a solid foundation of parts including engine (2JZ GE), subframes, hubs and all the body panels minus the front bumper and spoiler.

IMG_20201130_193153.jpg

IMG20201130192157.jpg

received_395403458573716.jpeg

received_426096852130509.jpeg

received_1067754840333046.jpeg

First job was to pull all the bits from the interior, and make sense of what needed to go in. 

Thankfully things look easy enough, with the exception of actually finding all the parts - which noticeably has gotten harder since owning my last Supra. 

In the meantime and being limited for other options i took to tackling the stereo and speakers, making some brackets for 6.5" in the front doors along with the same in the rears. 

You'll also notice i was able to locate a couple the dash panels including a brand new OEM manual surround. 

IMG20201220224344.jpg

IMG20201208203724.jpg

I've since secured a pre-facelift carpet, which I'm going to clean and then dye black. Along with installing some door cards i managed to track down. 

With help I was also able to bring the Supra out for its first clean, and daylight review of the paintwork. Which happily looks to be mint apart from a handful of marks. 

IMG20201226175254.jpg

IMG20201229160848.jpg

IMG20201229160825.jpg

Thanks Mike,

I didn't want to name you without consent :)

The Supra is amazing, I'm trying to remind myself to slow down and enjoy the build.

I'm been exploring a BMW gearbox conversion based on your advice, what was the particular box you had for yours?

The one that keeps coming up for me is the M57 - is that correct? 

Andy

Don't need to worry about that :)

Yep deffo need to enjoy this process as once its done your like what else can I get on with lol

You can do the M57 which I think is out of the 5 series, ive never personally used that box but know it bolts to the PMC adapter plates. The one I had specifically was the Getrag 420G box which is from the E46 M3 and reasonable value at £600 - £800 for a good used Box.

The only issue with them is they are a little noisy and don't have a built in speed sensor, however you will notice on that car there is a black box on the transmission tunnel which is a decota box and used to convert a ABS sensor speed pickup into the speed for the clock in the dash. 

• Like 1

I spotted that box and did wonder what it was for :)

Thanks for the information, that's great. I'll do some further research on which is the best option between the 420G and M57.

Ultimately it's all done to driveability and reliability for me,  I don't mind noise or anything a bit notchy if need be. 

I'll come back to you before picking anything up if that's ok, It'll be great to use your knowledge to ensure I've got the right bits.

On 1/9/2021 at 10:48 PM, Spike3.0 said:

Tackled a few jobs this week, with one being to paint the newly required LS400 calipers - Cadbury's Purple 

Currently looking out for some half decent discs and pads, if anyone has any suggestions it'll be very appreciated. 

IMG_20210109_224227.jpg

I've got LS400's on mine with braided lines. I find them okay with Brembo discs and pads (£120 from EuroCarParts), definitely better than Jspec fronts. 

I think I will have a look at EBC pads next and re-bleed the system. If I fall into a couple of grand magically then I'll buy big boy K sports 😅

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AC93 said:

I've got LS400's on mine with braided lines. I find them okay with Brembo discs and pads (£120 from EuroCarParts), definitely better than Jspec fronts. 

I think I will have a look at EBC pads next and re-bleed the system. If I fall into a couple of grand magically then I'll buy big boy K sports 😅

Thanks for the heads up, i didn't even think about Eurocarparts. I'll take a look 👍

What are you running on the rears? 

• 2 months later...

Been keeping busy this last few weeks, and as a result the project is starting to look like a Supra again. 

Latest job was a refurb on a set of Facelift lights picked up by Jim_Supra who has been an absolute legend of late. 

Its been probably 10 years since my last attempt but i think they've turned out well, especially with the Stainless Steel rings for added affect 👌

IMG_20210314_122031_510.jpg

The dash now looks a whole heap better! 

The Manual Panel was a rare new OEM find, i think the paint match I've done on the dash is surprisingly almost perfect... 

Carpets getting dyed black the moment the weather cheers up, when hopefully I'll have the rest of the missing parts sourced. 

IMG_20210314_213712.jpg

• Spike3.0 changed the title to Seven times lucky
9 hours ago, Mr2kyle said:

Looking good mate 👍🏻 Will be following this closely to see how the bmw box is to fit! Those manual surrounds discontinued now are they?!?

Cheers mate, I'll let you know how things progress.

I was lucky with the surround, randomly Toyota themselves popped them onto their official eBay account. 

Typically and sadly most were snapped up by traders and being resold for crazy money. 

On 1/13/2021 at 8:26 PM, Spike3.0 said:

I've heard this a number of times lately, some reporting the pads almost disintegrating? 

I was going to give them a go too... So glad i avoided that mistake 

Check Mintex pads out, well priced and brake really well

On 1/13/2021 at 8:26 PM, Spike3.0 said:

I've heard this a number of times lately, some reporting the pads almost disintegrating? 

I was going to give them a go too... So glad i avoided that mistake 

I recently replaced my chris wilson pads with what i believe to be EBC pads. 

I will re ordering chris wilson pads shortly.... they have a confidence inspiring pedal unlike the EBCs that feel very wooden