The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tt supra, too fast for uk roads??

fastphil666

Replying to your original post: as a few have said a bit about already; it’s how you drive it. 

you can have lots of fun with the TT Auto below 100mph on A and B roads. Granted it won’t slow down to 10mph for a slow bend then rocket you out like a hot hatch, but for sweeping bends that you are talking about (must be if you’re reaching those speeds) then as has been said, try it in 2 with O/D off.

Try changing down from D (o/d off) to 2 for a sweeping bend (or d with o/d off if the speed of the bend still has you up around 5k), keeping in the sweet spot of around 5k rpm; tease the throttle gently and the power is instantly there as the turbos are fully awake; lift off and enjoy the engine braking and exhaust noise. 

To me, this is the most enjoyable and rewarding way to drive a supra. 

My single feels amazing on the roads. At low boost just over 500 it's loads of fun. It's only a 62mm, but if you compare the power of most performance cars the BPU game is nothing crazy these days. I remember when mine was 420 and could obviously drive it a lot harder and enjoy it more. With better suspension (mines too hard) I'd say 420 was ideal for back roads in the south west. Not lanes!

On 12/26/2020 at 9:43 AM, jonc said:

Just jumping in on this. I think.at the Sups age now along with BPU or large power gains the suspension should be rebuilt. Even the newest car will be 18 years old. The rubber bushes will be toast.

My BPU Sup is really pretty solid in the corners. I rebuilt the suspension 7 or 8 years ago. I'm only running on Bilsteins as well and the tale is pretty good as long you control the turbos with your foot. 

Also prefer Tiptronic at my age 😃

You still out around Plymouth these days mate? Will pop down this summer perhaps. Surprised didn't see photos of yours going to the meet earlier this year down Plymouth.

On 12/29/2020 at 4:55 PM, Noz said:

My single feels amazing on the roads. At low boost just over 500 it's loads of fun. It's only a 62mm, but if you compare the power of most performance cars the BPU game is nothing crazy these days. I remember when mine was 420 and could obviously drive it a lot harder and enjoy it more. With better suspension (mines too hard) I'd say 420 was ideal for back roads in the south west. Not lanes!

You still out around Plymouth these days mate? Will pop down this summer perhaps. Surprised didn't see photos of yours going to the meet earlier this year down Plymouth.

Yea still in Plymouth buddy. Work is so busy I don't tend to get to meets. Car is still doing well but after 10 years I want to semi retire her and bring her out as a play thing rather than a commuter. If this Chinese flu is killed off it would be good to catch up.  Are you still doing bits and bobs through your own company?

Cheers 

Jon

On 12/30/2020 at 1:56 AM, mikeekim89 said:

Figured I'd mention, given speeds are mentioned that a NA auto delimited will do 165 and keep going if you have enough room! Obviously not as urgent as a tt but can definitely get there

An na will do 165? Are you sure, I didnt think the 220hp was enough to push it that far?

Unless you take out the trac fuse on a UK spec you wont go much past 155

On the J spec you'll need an SLD speed limit defencer plumbed in 

My 400 ish engine hp auto got me to 180 on the dial but I decided to roll out of it

as there were bends appearing that used to be straight at 70 :)

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

9 minutes ago, Dnk said:

Unless you take out the trac fuse on a UK spec you wont go much past 155,                                                                                    On the J spec you'll need an SLD speed limit defencer plumbed in 

My 400 ish engine hp got me to 180 once but i decided to roll out of it as there were bends appearing that used to be straight 

at 70 :)

With the traction control fuse removed what is a stock U.K. tt6 capable of?

On the road drag will be biggest factor in how fast you'll go

i found this, drag is proportional to the square of speed, then the power needed to overcome that drag is proportional to the cube of speed.. so to go twice as fast you need 8 times the power ? 

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Dnk said:

Unless you take out the trac fuse on a UK spec you wont go much past 155

On the J spec you'll need an SLD speed limit defencer plumbed in 

My 400 ish engine hp auto got me to 180 on the dial but I decided to roll out of it

as there were bends appearing that used to be straight at 70 :)

Is that not fitted to near every supra import so you can get over the 112 mph  top speed from Japan ? 

Always doing odds and sods mate. But its more for friends than a business these days.

I stopped it as a business. So just helping people out these days. Still scraps to sell.

Will have to arrange something when mines done. Including the South West lot. As I've yet to take mine to anything local.

Only for weekend trips is how it should be!