The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing rear hubs

cainhead

Hello,

In the process of removing most of the rear subframe and hub assembly. But im a little stuck. I have all the connections to hub off/disconnected including handbrake axle nut etc but the hub is not playing ball. Its been a while since ive done the bearings on my other supra and cant remember for the life of me if its something simple im missing. Or is the hub just corroded onto the driveshafts

Anyone have any tips/ideas. All appreciated as it was all going so well. Even got the ABS sensors out without destroying them.

Cheers

Edited by cainhead (see edit history)

If its not parting then your drive shaft must be stuck in the hub. I must have been fortunate as my hubs just slid off with no effort needed.

Words of workshop manual wisdom

"Using a hammer, lightly tap the end of the drive shaft,disengage the axle hub and remove the drive shaft.

NOTICE: Be careful not to damage the boots and speed sensor rotor of the drive shaft, and oil seal of the axle hub."

Or you could use a big puller. Failing that WD40, two lengthy bars and plenty of muscle.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

Thanks for the advice, I’ll attack them again this afternoon.

Whilst we are on the subject of removing all these parts, what’s people’s opinions on how to restore subframes, suspension parts etc. I was thinking of shot blasting most parts to strip them back/clean surface rust then recoating with some sort corrosion resistant paint, possibly powder coat some parts. Looking for any advice on what to and what not to do.

Cheers

If you have the frame off and it has surface rust then you are best getting it oven baked, acid dipped and then galvanized as there will almost certainly be rust inside the frame as well that you'll never be able to get to any other way. That process will cost you around £350.

On the arms, if the knuckle joints are in good stiff shape and the bushes aren't mush then clean up and repaint would be good, though the top arm isn't painted so that'll just need a clean and polish. You cannot get all the arms any longer new so if you need replacements then its going to have to be a few aftermarket options or polybushing your old ones. You can get grease needles for regreasing or adding grease into the joints through the rubber boot.

If you have the frame off and it has surface rust then you are best getting it oven baked, acid dipped and then galvanized as there will almost certainly be rust inside the frame as well that you'll never be able to get to any other way. That process will cost you around £350.

That’s was my exact plan for the frame so good to hear. I read from other posts about a place up near Telford/Wales area that does this. Unless anyone knows of a place closer to SW London

Getting frustrated with this now. At the point of removing the drive shafts from the diff but now the Allen key bolts holding them to the diff won’t budge. I’m using a impact wrench and they have been soaked twice overnight in wd40. Trying to find some way of using a breaker bar but the shafts turn as you would expect.

Had a search but most results are about getting the shafts out of the hub.

Cheers

That’s was my exact plan for the frame so good to hear. I read from other posts about a place up near Telford/Wales area that does this. Unless anyone knows of a place closer to SW London

I had my Range Rover chassis done at Howells near B'ham, cost approx £600 5 years ago

https://www.wedge-galv.co.uk/plant-locator/edward-howell-galvanizers-ltd/

Won't being in gear and/or handbrake on do it?(or a helper on the brake pedal) I've swapped a diff and can't remember having a nightmare with these.

Brakes are all off as I removed the hubs. Could put it in gear just worried the pressure against the diff might damage it, or is there no chance.

The three 12mm Allen bolts should just screw straight out.

Sometimes an impact won't have enough torque to break the seal dependant on what impact you are using. I have found my own electric Makita one is getting weaker with age, it used to be able to undo wheel nuts easily but now it cannot and the diff bolts are torqued up close to that setting. I always have a 3 foot breaker bar to hand and a 3 foot hollow bar that'll sleeve over that if required. Use a big bar with gently increasing force and they should give in squeaking all the way, either that or the bolt will shear. If someone has stupidly used loctite then you are buggered as you cannot get anywhere close to the thread to be able to heat that part of the bolt up.

PS - I assume the frame is still fixed to the car? Its a lot easier to get the leverage on all the bolts while it is on rather than off.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

The two 12mm Allen bolts should just screw straight out.

Sometimes an impact won't have enough torque to break the seal dependant on what impact you are using. I have found my own electric Makita one is getting weaker with age, it used to be able to undo wheel nuts easily but now it cannot and the diff bolts are torqued up close to that setting. I always have a 3 foot breaker bar to hand and a 3 foot hollow bar that'll sleeve over that if required. Use a big bar with gently increasing force and they should give in squeaking all the way, either that or the bolt will shear. If someone has stupidly used loctite then you are buggered as you cannot get anywhere close to the thread to be able to heat that part of the bolt up.

Not tried those bolts yet, it’s the drive shaft ones going into the diff I’m stuck on. I’m sure those two will also be a pain.

I undid the 12 or so drive shaft bolts with a 3/8 drive ratchet using an allen socket while my colleague held the wheel with a pry bar through the studs. That way it was easy to rotate the shaft as I took out the bolts. No big effort needed, I think they are only torqued in at around 50lb'ft which leads me to think your impact is either struggling or someone seriously overtightened the bolts in the past.