The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front windshield seal

jza800

I got my windshield i my car today, but on the corners the seal wrinkles, have anybody been out for the same, will that disappears over time.. it is a genuine toyota seal, the company that fit the windshield dident have any answer to it, and said it would probably disappears over time

thumbnail_IMG_20200407_125409.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20200407_125359.jpg

I got my windshield i my car today, but on the corners the seal wrinkles, have anybody been out for the same, will that disappears over time.. it is a genuine toyota seal, the company that fit the windshield dident have any answer to it, and said it would probably disappears over time

From the stuff I could find it appears to be the condition of the seal itself which happens over time and going through heat cycles. I can’t find any examples of this happening to new seals but it depends how and where this has been stored for the last 20+ years.

From the stuff I could find it appears to be the condition of the seal itself which happens over time and going through heat cycles. I can’t find any examples of this happening to new seals but it depends how and where this has been stored for the last 20+ years.

Hm i bought it from toyota 6 month ago as new, and have been laying inside my house all that time. i have contacted toyota, and a waiting to see what they come with..

Hm i bought it from toyota 6 month ago as new, and have been laying inside my house all that time. i have contacted toyota, and a waiting to see what they come with..

You might have bought it 6 months ago but Toyota haven’t been making parts for the Supra for a very long time. The seal is probably over 20 years old and has been sat in a warehouse somewhere.

They fit it poorly. It won't shrink. Elastomers expand over time if anything.

I fit my own windscreen, where I had any wrinkles I just took up some tension allowing for shrinkage around areas of compression, thus not folding. They are fobbin you off I think. If you just push it in, that's going to happen.

Tell them Toyota didn't design it to be like that, it's a cherished car and you want it resolved. The seal isn't a major job so they should be able to do it fairly easily.

Hmmm to me, from the curvature the inside wrinkles needs to be on the outside. Meaning the seal was fitted in the wrong position

The seal have an center point on the seal, and that was put one the center on the windscreen so the seal was mount the right way..

They fit it poorly. It won't shrink. Elastomers expand over time if anything.

I fit my own windscreen, where I had any wrinkles I just took up some tension allowing for shrinkage around areas of compression, thus not folding. They are fobbin you off I think. If you just push it in, that's going to happen.

Tell them Toyota didn't design it to be like that, it's a cherished car and you want it resolved. The seal isn't a major job so they should be able to do it fairly easily.

now i am not a window mount man, but it dont seems like there are tension on the seal at all, the seal was mounted on the window before they put the window in the car, so there are only the tension that hold it on place on the window.. the window man called me yesterday and told me they have ordrer a new seal, and told me they never use genuine toyota seal on supras, (i have ordered the toyota seal myself ) so they have ordered the seal they normal use on supra, and will come next friday and mount they.. i dont know if they are right or wrong..

• 4 weeks later...
Hmmm to me, from the curvature the inside wrinkles needs to be on the outside. Meaning the seal was fitted in the wrong position

This. Kevin is right, your windshield moulding is installed incorrectly. That outside harder part should be against the glas and that softer "wrinkled" side should be against the car "window frame".

Edited by Mika (see edit history)

You where right, did take the car to the guyes that put in the glasses, and yes they did fit the seal wrong, so they turned it around and the wrinkles was gone ... Thank you for the reply..

Will it still provide a watertight seal if it’s been bent backwards?

Yes it seems to be watertight. but time will show.. it is laying tight to the glass and to the edge on the car.. so i can only sy, time will show ;)

Do you have any comeback if it does leak? I think if it was me I’d have asked them to pay for a new seal.

they said we should see on time if it leaks, they looked at it before they mountet it again, and they said it looked fine, so they wouldn't hesitate to mount it, even if was their own car, so i can't do anything than trust them and let time see if it would leak..

Will it still provide a watertight seal if it’s been bent backwards?
It's not designed to be watertight, it's just to dress the screen against the body and eliminate wind buffeting.

The glass is bonded in, which is where the waterproofing comes from.

It's not designed to be watertight, it's just to dress the screen against the body and eliminate wind buffeting.

The glass is bonded in, which is where the waterproofing comes from.

Yep, Gaz is right. It is just the screen dress moulding. The windscreen is glued to the car window frame with the windscreen bonding glue which does the sealing.

Gaz, I tried to sent you a PM earlier. Which is the best way to try to remove the old windscreen moulding? Mine feels to be really tight in place

Yep, Gaz is right. It is just the screen dress moulding. The windscreen is glued to the car window frame with the windscreen bonding glue which does the sealing.

Gaz, I tried to sent you a PM earlier. Which is the best way to try to remove the old windscreen moulding? Mine feels to be really tight in place

Hi mate, sorry I must have missed it.

Front or rear?

With mine, the front pulled out and went back in easily, the rear is a total sod. I managed to lift a corner of the rear with a wallpaper scraper, and then eased it out. Getting the new one in was a real headache too. It's designed to be removed/replaced with the glass, but I didn't want to remove the glass so struggled!