The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing Oil contamination from glass - advice please

Sheefa

I polish up my log burner glass every few years. The professionals recommend and use cerium oxide powder made into a paste and then that is power mopped into the glass. You can get different grade powder depending on how aggressive you want the surface polishing to get from just a clean up to removing deep scratches. Obviously works easiest and best on large glass surfaces but you can get small felt pads for power drills for tackling the smaller stuff.

Update:

Given brake cleaner a go and All Purpose Cleaner with a Melamine sponge. Nothing has touched the embedded oil. Really weird. See pic enclosed.

Going to try petrol and some driveway oil remover carefully and see if that works. This is a PITA.image

That rainbow effect seems like its INSIDE the dual layered glass, modern dual layered glass is a layer of acrylic sandwiched between glass. I suspect it has a leak and have seen qtr glasses with leaks in the corners. Wouldnt bother trying any more mate honestly it looks toasted and unfixable.

Yes that picture shows it's more than likely inside the glass. Don't think you're gonna be able to fix that and is perhaps why there was tint on there to begin with to hide it?

Edit - tint was on the inside, wouldnt have mattered. Perhaps some tint on the outside? if it was neat enough like a wrap, should be fine.

Thanks guys. I'm not keen on window tints and want this car looking 100% rather than simply hiding it so current rear quarters will be coming out and new ones in. There's also about 4mm of red overspray on the open part of the quarter seals which bugs me so this will sort that too.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. I looked at getting the exterior glass tinted as a temporary measure, enquired with a few companies actually. All said that the external tint just wouldn't last and would be pointless given it would peel in the elements.

One guy suggested a vinyl application to the exterior. He then went on to say he was an ex-window fitter and "have I tried a smooth razor blade on the glass" to remove the contamination. A quick pop down to Homebase to pick up a safety scraper and I tested it tonight. Good news, it works! It'll be a long painful process and I reckon will take between 8-10 hours with a polish to get it looking mint however there is at least a solution.

Pics enclosed although hard to distinguish between the affected and cleaned area.

Might be helpful to others in a similar situation with cr@p on their glass.

Thanks

Gregimageimageimageimage