The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rusty Maclaren

markylee

Would doubt it would be rust, are they not all pure carbon fibre, no steel or alloy used in body panels apart from nuts and bolts and engine & running gear. (I think). More like a wrap gone wrong?

That's what I thought but you could clearly see the ally was turning white with oxidation where the paint had peeled off it was very similar to certain parts of my engine bay lol....definately not a wrap you could clearly see the aluminium unless the carbon is coated with something resembling aluminium but I doubt it, maybe the lip itself is has a bonded ally strip for some reason also I am not that clued up with Maclarens so probably not a p1 probably a 570 so sorry for the misleading title.

Edited by markylee (see edit history)

Mclaren has a big problem with the alloy panels oxidising /bubbling up on the edges....

A lot of manufacturers have the same issues recently....

Just like the supra bonnets and aero roofs if anyone’s seen that too

Mclaren has a big problem with the alloy panels oxidising /bubbling up on the edges....

A lot of manufacturers have the same issues recently....

Just like the supra bonnets and aero roofs if anyone’s seen that too

My bonnet had the alu bubbling in one corner and my roof has some small spots. Its the science of aluminium, when moisture gets to it, it forms a corroded surface to further protect itself. Really weird stuff.

Very poor show from car manufactures , during build a simple coating brushed on the aluminium with alodine solution before painting and there endeth the corrosion problems - aircraft are aluminium skins and parked outside 99% of the time - they don't fall out of the sky with holes in the skin every day even at 40 or 50 years old !

Aluminium won't perforate like steel as the oxide protects it or it certainly doesn't flake off like rust in big chunks exposing new steel to attack, but will effect paint/metal interfaces.

If you think about it nearly all metals aren't found in their natural state (Gold is a notable exception!) and need to be extracted from ore, once this is done you are fighting entropy as they then want to revert back to the ore/oxidised state.

Stainless steel 'works' because it has chromium in it, but it's the chromium oxides that it then forms on the surfaces that helps protect the underlying metal.

Oh yes aluminium does perforate and flake , I've spent half my life checking for exactly that, lol - aircraft skins also have the added issues of Coca Cola,deicing fluids,urine,various chemicals,acids and alkalis , salt water (carrying things like fish) , and constant water - warm air inside and minus 50 degrees outside causes massive condensation which runs down to the bottom and to drains .

That's why we use Alodine,etch primer,paint , alclad ,dinitrol and millions of man hours checking for corrosion

Mercury is about the worst thing , a thermometer spill can cut through Ali like cheese ,salt water not far behind

The flaking of aluminium is called exfoliation corrosion - once the surface is penetrated the corrosion spreads along the length just under the surface , it causes a visible bulging , eventually large chunks just fall off and it's like cheese underneath , soft and grey/white - coatings prevent this happening , clad aluminium and chemical conversion coatings like Alodine

From my experience I have never seen the body panels on the p1 rust, the other series McLaren's are different story but I have seen a bit of rust / bubbling on the p1 rear grills. I don't think manufacturers design with the intent for panels to rust or for a short life span as this would have a huge impact on warranty claims considering some manufacturers have 10 years perforation/corrosion warranty ( good for dealers to make money on doing the work but bad for the company profits )

Jagman is obviously more knowledgeable about Ali in aerospace applications where let's face it corrosion can be life threatening. What I am saying is chuck an aluminium front crash bar in your garden and it won't rust/flake away like the rear crash bar will.