The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Recommend me a tool chest

ripped_fear

So I'm currently planning my garage renovation in the new place, and find myself looking to update my tool storage. I currently have a small cabinet from eBay and it's done the job nicely and still in perfect condition. However now space isn't an issue I want a bigger one so it can hold all my tools in a bit more of an organised fashion.

So if I said I have a budget of around 300 quid ideally like to spend less, where would people suggest I look. Obviously no I'm out of the realms of snap-on but for a hobbiest like me I can't see that being an issue as my cheap 70 quid one has held up well I've just out grown it.

Looking for somthing as big as possible. Looking for draw space of varying depth, rather than larger compartments, and ideally red or black.

Any input welcomed.

Thanks

Jake

Halfords generally have good deals on their tools and cabinets at new year, if you can wait that long :)

Their professional / industrial range are perfect for the home garage.

In no rush at all as it won't be started till new year anyway. I use Halfords tools as they are great quality so waiting for the sales may be a good shout, cheers.

Been considering places like Costco too. So happy to explore all my options

Halford actually have a great deal on one atm 400 for one of there big ones basically works out you get the top half free. Tempting

I quite like the Clarke stuff at Machine Mart, normally pretty good value

Great shout and one I hadn't considered. They also do loads of other bits I want too. Cheers bud.

In no rush at all as it won't be started till new year anyway. I use Halfords tools as they are great quality so waiting for the sales may be a good shout, cheers.

Been considering places like Costco too. So happy to explore all my options

/QUOTE]

Through December two years ago the 200 piece Halfords socket set was discounted to £150 from £250. I waited til boxing day and got a 20% off code making it £120. Was the same for the chests as well I believe

I went down the Halfords route because its easy and sort of of cheap, but they no longer do the insert-trays full of tools, which means ill-fitting inserts cobbled together. If you like a tool chest perfectly organised and presented, maybe look at the Sealey range...loads of insert selections. Also note that different brands have slightly different dimensions so one brands inserts won't perfectly fit another's drawers. Of course if you're fine with drawers full of loose tools, it's a moot point.

Also my Halfords chests have lost a few ball bearings along the way, and im not sure where from, wheels or the drawer runners. I've just found the balls on the garage floor.

There has been a general move away from steel tool chests , PELI cases are de rigeur , strong light and easy to move and carry , you can use foam inserts , easy to diy and will give you about 5 layers of tools - you can shadow board these with dual coloured trays and diy but its a real pain to do , you can buy pre cut foams but they ate more expensive than the case.

easiest is to keep individual sets such as sockets in their own plastic / steel cases and cut out the case shape and insert into the foam ,

I use a Stahwille case , all done for me and tools all laser etched with my initials with dual colour inserts shadow boarded , it was only £5000 !!!!!!!!!-oh the joys of self employment !!!!!

Pelican case circa £200 and foam circa £25 - and endless hours of fun cutting the shapes ,get one hole wrong and start all over again -lol

How big is big ???

If you keep an eye out on Gumtree you can find good deals on second hand Snap on roll cabs, a nicely looked after 4year old Snap on will still be a better product than a brand new Halfords special.

We've bought several for under £500 for use by trainees or in our Race van for track days.

Depends on what size you think you'll need.

I have a costco tool chest / box, like this one.. http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/kirkland-signature-42-106-cm-6-drawer-1-cabinet-top-chest-42-106-cm-10-drawer-bottom-tool-chest-803353

Upgraded from a halfords advanced to this. Huge huge difference in quality, very pleased with it. They are £500 instore if you can get hold of a card and are willing to stretch your budget a bit. Personally i don't think you could get anything as good for twice the price.

Halfords advanced or professional range seem to be good. And Halford prosoon tools I believe have lifetime warranty snap on?

I agree, I would wait for the tool boxes at Halfords to go half price which happens a lot

Though I do wonder about there life time guarantee

I had taken a 10mm spanner ratchet back as it wouldn't rotate, it would get jammed. It had never been used but I had it for a few years as a set.

When I taken it back they said the ratchet not covered lol I said well else is going to bloody brake !!!!! im not exactly going to bend a spanner undoing a 10mm nut am I !!!!

they changed it in the end lol

Thanks guys some great info and some i wouldnt have considered which is great but halford have just thrown a spanner in the works, (pun intended ;)) on top of the deal i posted about above they have added a centre 3 draw unit in for free. So a tool box just shy off 1000 is now 400! just bad timming, to credit card or not that is the question?!

Both these links for 400

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/storage/tool-chests-cabinets/halfords-industrial-6-drawer-ball-bearing-tool-cabinet-chest-bundle

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/storage/tool-chests-cabinets/halfords-industrial-3-drawer-middle-chest

but equally those sgs ones posted in the above post look great value for money

To clarify , roll cabs can be a PITA , when full they get massively heavy , moving them with air lines and power leads on the floor is a challenge , they usually get so full of stuff that drawers often jam with something and they dont like getting wet or damp garages -they rust

You often get jobs to do not in your garage -now you have to transfer tools into another box that you can carry.

You dont have to get Peli , there are cheaper copies , however you get a lifeime warranty with Peli , they are also waterproof , you can leave your box in the rain and ...nothing happens , your tools never rust .

you can stack them , and divide up tools into the most used tools in one box , power tools in another , body tools in another and so on , each box is easy to move or put in your car , say going on a euro trip.

There are loads of different sizes and useful for other gear; camera kit or laptops etc when travelling , they also dont scratch or get dented and you can stand on them for extra height if needed -basically, all round a good thing

LOL

Sorry bud,

Im not trying to bang on about Snap-on just to be pedantic. But that roll cab you listed is TINY !!!! I just bought a 2year old, perfect condition Snap-on thats the same size (well, fractionally larger KRA2007) as that for £300 last month as a second box for our race van. Fair enough it comes with the second chest, but frankly they are of limited usefullness compared to a proper sized roll-cab that has a useable top as a mobile bench/workstation. Theres a reason why anyone in the trade has them, or slightly cheaper MAC copies and trainees with cheap boxes soon learn in a year or two why its worth investing in the real deal.

Im just trying to save you hassle and money in the long run - a good cab will last 15year or you can usually trade em in every few years for very little loss if you buy them for the right price to begin with - my last one cost £3500 9 years ago (Cost originally £6000 off the van) and the guy who had it next sold it last year for £3000 !!!

J.

I'm not gonna knock the quality of the snap ons- what's said here is very very true!

However it depends how you intend to use it. I have the black industrial roll cab, picked one up at daft offer time, and for how I use it, it has been just fine. Mine stays in its place in my garage, rarely moves and i use a tote tray to take tools to the workpiece- so it doesn't go anywhere- but it has stood up to my cloth cap workmanship and temper tantrums! I've had it 10+ years. I couldn't comment on the top box as I went for a halfords pro centre and top box, but they seem to be holding up just fine too, but maybe not as sturdy as the industrial. Home tools don't get abused a tenth as much as work tools do- in my experience anyway.