The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2 years on and losing faith...

v6shep

On your quick reply there is a row of buttons above, text size, bold, italic, underline etc 3rd from the end is a picture symbol this allows you to upload to the forum. Choose a file from your computer / iPad etc or from an URL.

So, yet another update...

Fitted new ecu, as excited as a kid in a sweet shop. Connected everything else back up, key in, turned over a few times, wouldn't fire up. Unplugged the king lead to see if it was sparking, nope.

Reverted to the igniter test using the light tester with ignition on, nothing... Removed key, it sparked nice and strong. Not a clue what that's about as the instructions clearly state ignition on. But still, that leads me to believe the igniter and coil are fine and otherwise would work as they should. Next I did a quick error code check, and code 14 is the one I'm getting.

I also disconnected my clifford just for the sake of ensuring it wasn't causing any problems.

So, I've now replaced every part possible including ecu that could be causing my no spark issue except key and barrel. I don't know what else there could possibly be.

I'm really holding myself back from picking up the sledgehammer :-(

Without trying to reverse engineer the circuit around that wire wound resistor one can only assume it was chosen to dissipate quite a few watts (3 or so, looking at the size of it). My best guess is its in an output stage to current limit a FET. So be careful, if you have a short somewhere external to the ecu the new one may be suffering the same fate. I would use a scope to see if the disi is outputting a sensible trigger signal, the look at the ignitor, then I would look to see if the coil was receiving a pulse. I would then try pulsing the coil with an external pulsing device. But none of this BEFORE unplugging the ecu and checking ignitor and coil leads for shorts to ground.

If you think it's the ignition switch just put a volt meter on the coil positive and check circa 12V doesn't disappear when cranking.

this was exactly what mine was doing ,i tested everything, new TPS, new fuel pump, new rotor,it was so simple in the end ,took off the coil cleaned up the earthing points and the little bunch of wires next to the coil,and the igniter mounting points and bingo started first time and not had a problem since ,and code 14 is what i was getting .

you maybe able to clean up your ecu pcb with IPA fluid and a cotton bud and get the resistor replaced, any tv repair shop can do that ,i had a blown capacitor just had it done today he checked all the tracks affected and relaquered the board cost me a £10.not tested it yet though gonna do it sunday

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?343555-ECU-capacitor-leaking

Edited by Dave (see edit history)

Guest kcoles1

Na doesn't have any cam or crank sensors, my best advice is to add earth wired to your coil and igniter, also clean all grounding points, literally all of them, and check wires, if they look old or brittle just replace it.

Had a similar problem to you and I read atleast 3 stories where they'd clean all grounds and replaced a few wires and it got it going!

You say you have a voltage at the coil + ,constant -have you checked this during cranking ? what is the voltage ? -Its possible that during cranking with the ignition switch turned , you are dropping volts , so the ignition coil, ignition unit and 6 coils all have low volts - the ignition switch contacts can easily cause this

Try a direct positive wire battery to the coil positive and then start .-bypassing the ignition switch

your ignition ring light is controlled via the integration relay this also controlls the personal light and the door key cylinder light -these should also be on - fade control in the integration unit or door switch problem

also disconnect the capacitor -noise supression .

From here you need to do some simple voltage checks and fuse volts drops - corroded fuses can cause problems dropping volts on load .

hope this helps