The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manchester attack

Dnk

So huge chunks of the Middle East is turned into a war zone by western forces intervening without clear mandate from the UN and that has absolutely nothing to do with it? However you feel about the invasion of Iraq, it would be incredibly naive to rule it out wholesale as an instigating factor for the current IS problem.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Al no one is having a dig at you, if you are in the forces you go where you are told, you can't pick and choose your battles can you, but I agree with others in that regardless of intentions we will not always be seen as peacekeepers or having done the right thing as such.

Those countries targeted by terrorist attacks recently have supported/been involved in the actions in the middle east, have any European countries been targeted that haven't? Now I'm not sure if it's right or wrong we've at times got involved in middle eastern matters but evidentially there are always consequences to such involvement.

What really does my nut in after any significant terrorist event is the whole "we stand together" and "love is stronger than hate: or most annoyingly "we'll continue living our lives as normal in defiance of terrorism". The truth is we won't. We all become more aware of our surroundings and people, especially Muslims (rightly or wrongly). Young Children and their parents have perished in a tragic horrific incident. Do one with your positive mentality and "we carry on" mantra and let the whole thing sink in for a moment. We're already at war and it's going to get worse.

So huge chunks of the Middle East is turned into a war zone by western forces intervening without clear mandate from the UN and that has absolutely nothing to do with it? However you feel about the invasion of Iraq, it would be incredibly naive to rule it out wholesale as an instigating factor for the current IS problem.

The UN wouldn't give a mandate anyway to any situation, especially as that is for peace keeping and not war.

However, the UN gave good enough reports on Saddam and Iraq after being refused entry several times and messed around for several months.

The middle east was already a war zone because of middle eastern countries raging war with each other.

Saddam had invaded Kuwait too many times.

Now I haven't ruled out any responsibility but it would be naïve to suggest that this is solely down to the UK and the US intervention in the middle east.

Al no one is having a dig at you, if you are in the forces you go where you are told, you can't pick and choose your battles can you, but I agree with others in that regardless of intentions we will not always be seen as peacekeepers or having done the right thing as such.

Those countries targeted by terrorist attacks recently have supported/been involved in the actions in the middle east, have any European countries been targeted that haven't? Now I'm not sure if it's right or wrong we've at times got involved in middle eastern matters but evidentially there are always consequences to such involvement.

Sorry, didn't mean my post to come across as all defensive.

I just wanted to get the point across that events happened before western intervention in the middle east.

Iraq invading Kuwait leading to the first Gulf war

September 11th being one of them.

Al Qaeda in Afghanistan.

Saddam Hussain.

There has been many Islamic terrorist actions in Europe for decades, especially the 80's and 90's.

So this isn't something specifically new.

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody is suggesting that, simply that it may be a contributing factor.

Yes they did, hence my comment.

No worries here I've not got a particular stance on any of this....

Factors I see are in no particular order are :-

Foreign policy

Religion (rolled up with anti western/freedoms/ways that are contra to their teachings or threaten their way of life)

Mental Health

Personal loss

Economic disparity

Power/money

No worries here I've not got a particular stance on any of this....

Factors I see are in no particular order are :-

Foreign policy

Religion (rolled up with anti western/freedoms/ways that are contra to their teachings or threaten their way of life)

Mental Health

Personal loss

Economic disparity

Power/money

That sounds about right, except I'd replace 'personal loss' with 'perceived greivance', as a lot of the people who turn into these nutters have never stepped foot in many of the countries mentioned in this thread.

People whip up hatred by creating an obsession over things like Israel / Gaza, even though the people of Gaza are in no way morally superior to those in Israel, and the regime is even worse than the Israeli one (look at how they treat Homosexuals, a complete contrast to Tel Aviv's thriving LGBT community).

Let's also not forget that as part of this perceived grievance, these Islamists call us 'Crusaders', apparently holding a grudge about that, even though the crusades were to liberate the Christian holy lands from Islamic imperialism.

The poor Egyptian Copts (Christians) :( , constantly facing terror at the hands of the remnant of the Muslim Brotherhood and other Islamist groups. More children dead.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/26/several-killed-in-attack-on-bus-carrying-coptic-christians-in-egypt

I just ready this too.. so sad. I used to work for a Charity that specifically helped Christians persecuted by such things as this. Its allot more common than you would think!

This shows the level of persecution that happens to Christians http://www.opendoorsuk.org/persecution/country_profiles.php